Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
n72.75
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
 So, Tommy, what method will be best for reentry?
I mean, what method will allow me to best predict my final landing spot?
A LOT of practice.
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
Tommy
Orbinaut

Quote:
 So, Tommy, what method will be best for reentry?
I mean, what method will allow me to best predict my final landing spot?
The short answer is add-ons! There are three tools that can help. One is ReEntryMFD - but I'm not sure that works in Orbiter 2010P1. Another is GlidescopeMFD. This one is a bit hard to deal with - but it's good for showing you the Delta-Az. The third is AerobrakeMFD. This one is the easiest to use - hit the <MOD> button, then the <PRJ> button, and it will show you a small map and a green line showing your projected course assuming you keep the same AoA and bank.

For any vessel/orbit combination, there is a minimum and a maximum distance from the base that you need to de-orbit from. BaseSyncMFD's DEO option will help you tell when to de-orbit. Once you hit the atmo, hold the 40 degree AoA. This will provide more lift than you want, so use bank to control the descent rate (more bank = faster descent). Watch the Delta-Az in glidescope and perform roll reversals when it exceeds 5 degrees. You can use glidescope to watch the range - or use Aerobrake to keep an eye on the landing point (will miss to the side, but helps judge range.)

There are several dozen threads and tutorials for BaseSync and Aerobrake (and re-entry in general) which will help you set the DEO in basesync, etc, so I won't repeat that info here. The forum's search feature is very handy.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Hurricane
Grinfeld Aerospace guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
 The short answer is add-ons! There are three tools that can help. One is ReEntryMFD - but I'm not sure that works in Orbiter 2010P1. Another is GlidescopeMFD. This one is a bit hard to deal with - but it's good for showing you the Delta-Az. The third is AerobrakeMFD. This one is the easiest to use - hit the <MOD> button, then the <PRJ> button, and it will show you a small map and a green line showing your projected course assuming you keep the same AoA and bank.

For any vessel/orbit combination, there is a minimum and a maximum distance from the base that you need to de-orbit from. BaseSyncMFD's DEO option will help you tell when to de-orbit. Once you hit the atmo, hold the 40 degree AoA. This will provide more lift than you want, so use bank to control the descent rate (more bank = faster descent). Watch the Delta-Az in glidescope and perform roll reversals when it exceeds 5 degrees. You can use glidescope to watch the range - or use Aerobrake to keep an eye on the landing point (will miss to the side, but helps judge range.)

There are several dozen threads and tutorials for BaseSync and Aerobrake (and re-entry in general) which will help you set the DEO in basesync, etc, so I won't repeat that info here. The forum's search feature is very handy.
A *very* short answer indeed!
Anyway, I will practice it using AB and BS MFD, and see what comes out.
(Back to routine it is, so now I can)
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Tommy
Orbinaut

Well, a "long" answer would have taken up most of a page! I'll point out that Aerobrake has an AoA hold autopilot - but it's not the best. But if you are flying the "stock" shuttle it's better than nothing. You may also want to try AttitudeMFD, it also can hold an AoA and may work better.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #20
ADSWNJ
Scientist

Quote:
 A *very* short answer indeed!
Short maybe, but spot on the money. (Or the glideslope, etc!). BaseSync is great for deorbit burns, though you still have to tell it how much anticipation you want, what interface altitude you want and how steep you want to come in. The best thing is to get onto your deorbit orbit, save the simulation and run a bunch of tests from that consistent start-point to see what works for you.

On the reentry, Aerobrake's prediction displays are outstanding, and highly worth exploring in detail. The predicted ground-track and range give you a highly accurate indicator of where you will crash into the earth (or land if you are fortunate or skilled!).

The more I look at Glideslope, the more impressed I am. It has an excellent set of displays, and for the roll reversals and Delta Az data, it's invaluable. (Simply said - you want to maintain close on 40 degrees AoA regardless of roll, so the airflow strikes the right part of the shuttle. Rolling up to 90 degrees takes the wing lift vector and "dumps" it sideways rather than vertically, allowing the shuttle to descend more rapidly. You'll need to reverse the roll every now and then, as the Delta Az gets to say 10 degrees off track, so you smoothly and quite quickly reverse it and you will start tracking back towards the zero Delta Az again).

Finally - the GPCMFD is pretty interesting too. I like the clarity of the pitch, roll and yaw numbers, and the vertical speed and acceleration numbers. One day (hopefully with Kwan's help), I would love to integrate that into Glideslope with some other preference changes! We'll see!
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help