Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 05-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #7051
jalexb88
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 Hi Jalex, I've been working on touchdown points for a while and I think I've found a couple of formulas that can be used and works fine. Let me know if you need any help on that.
That would be great, Fred. We have found some touchdown points by trial and error for the Saturn V and LM, but they definitely need some fine tuning as the vehicles will sometimes tip over when changing views or during time acceleration. Your input we be greatly appreciated!

You can join the NASSP discussion on freenode.net with a client or:

https://webchat.freenode.net/ channel: #nassp

Last edited by jalexb88; 05-21-2017 at 02:04 PM.
jalexb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #7052
Astro SG Wise
Future Orion MPCV Pilot

Space Launch System and the MAV

Astro SG Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #7053
Donamy
Beta Tester

From today's unplanned EVA 43. 2Fish connecting wireless communication antennas, to LAB nadir.
Attached Thumbnails
2Fish EVA2.jpg  
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:43 AM   #7054
jalexb88
Orbinaut

A few shots from earlier today with the latest version of D3D9.

Earth-rise:

Re-entry:

jalexb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:02 AM   #7055
martins
Orbiter Founder

Here are a few early samplers of what keeps me busy at the moment: incorporating the Mars Express HRSC (high resolution stereo camera) data into the Mars elevation and surface textures.

For the surface textures I am currently only using the panchromatic images from the HRSC nadir camera. These have been used to pan-sharpen the artificially colourized MOC (Mars Orbiter camera) data that are used as a colour reference. The next step will be to incorporate the HRSC colour channels as well.

MOC (Orbiter 2016)

MOC+HRSC (current development status)

MOC (Orbiter 2016)

MOC+HRSC (current development status)

Generating the mosaics from the individual HRSC fragments is a fairly elaborate number-crunching effort because of the sheer amount of data. Once I've tested the final processing pipeline it will probably have to run for a couple of weeks to generate the global map. I hope it's going to be worth it ...
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:43 AM   #7056
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Orbiter 2016 is reaching the threshold of not being able to tell screenshot from photo.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #7057
DaveS
Addon Developer

Orbital sunrise: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jtybb9d4n...nt_R2.jpg?dl=0
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #7058
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Once I've tested the final processing pipeline it will probably have to run for a couple of weeks to generate the global map. I hope it's going to be worth it ...
If the result looks anywhere near to those screenshots, then I'd say yes, it's gonna be worth it. I have tried to describe the two posted screenshots without using expletives, and failed miserably.

Do you have the necessary hardware freely available? Donation efforts for orbiter don't make much sense in most cases, but a few guys putting some money together to rent an amazon EC2 server for a month or two so you don't have to block your own hardware with such a process would sound like a sensible thing.
jedidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #7059
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 If the result looks anywhere near to those screenshots, then I'd say yes, it's gonna be worth it. I have tried to describe the two posted screenshots without using expletives, and failed miserably.

Do you have the necessary hardware freely available? Donation efforts for orbiter don't make much sense in most cases, but a few guys putting some money together to rent an amazon EC2 server for a month or two so you don't have to block your own hardware with such a process would sound like a sensible thing.
Thanks for the offer. I should be ok though. I can probably quietly use I slightly underused machine at work (128GB RAM, 32 cores, my favourite Linux box ). The problem with sharing out the workload is distributing the data. I've got about 1.5TB of HRSC source data at the moment, and that's only the level-4 processed images. If I decide to also include level-3 to improve coverage, it will be much more. And it wouldn't be trivial to partition the data into local chunks.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #7060
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 And it wouldn't be trivial to partition the data into local chunks.
Oh yes. Especially depending on the overlaps of the different sensors.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #7061
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
I've got about 1.5TB of HRSC source data at the moment
Holy... How large is that final texture archive going to be?

Also, just made the "litmus test" with my wife. She totally thought that screenshot was an actual photograph of Mars.

Last edited by jedidia; 05-27-2017 at 07:17 PM.
jedidia is online now   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum

Tags
screen, shots