Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Math & Physics
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Math & Physics Mathematical and physical problems of space flight and astronomy.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #31
Ripley
Tutorial translator
 
Ripley's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 ...So the deleted information will be restored soon.
As much as I am painfully sorry to see Keithth_G's precious posts disappear (even if I understood a tiny fraction of them), shouldn't a user be free to edit - even delete - his/her own posts?

Last edited by Ripley; 03-10-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #32
Face
Beta Tester
 
Face's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 As much as I am painfully sorry to see Keithth_G's precious posts disappear (even if I understood a tiny fraction of them), shouldn't a user be free to edit - even delete - his/her own posts?
I think so, too. But keep in mind that regular users don't have the same information about the incident as admins/mods. Perhaps an imposter got hold of Keith's passwords and wrecked havoc, followed by Keith contacting staff here to set things straight again.

Many things are possible, so I guess we just have to be patient and let the involved parties work it out. I - for one - trust the mods to not do anything harmful to the community or the users here.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #33
Ripley
Tutorial translator
 
Ripley's Avatar
Default

Sure, I didn't mean to criticize Mods attitude. My question was more about the "philosophical" side.
As you say, there may be more to it. I'm sure they'll sort it out for the best.

Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #34
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator
 
dbeachy1's Avatar


Default

All 272 of the deleted posts have been mass-restored via a SQL command now (thanks, Orb!), so if you still notice any missing content, please PM a staff member.
dbeachy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #35
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator
 
dbeachy1's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 As much as I am painfully sorry to see Keithth_G's precious posts disappear (even if I understood a tiny fraction of them), shouldn't a user be free to edit - even delete - his/her own posts?
The staff discussed the topic of users mass-deleting their own posts a few years ago back when the "delete post" button was still enabled, and the consensus was that once content is posted to the board it becomes part of the community and is therefore not the original poster's "property" to be mass-deleted to try to harm the community. This is why the "delete post" button was removed several years ago following that staff discussion: deleting helpful board content 1) creates "holes" in threads across the forum, and 2) harms the community as a whole. That doesn't help anybody, and that is why the staff works to keep the board intact in cases of board vandalism.
dbeachy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 04:42 AM   #36
Enjo
Mostly harmless
 
Enjo's Avatar


Default

While I'd like to have Keith's posts back, it's bad that you didn't at least wait for him to clarify what was going on. He might be for example treated by the Chinese government as a spy and go to prison because of that one SQL command...

Last edited by Enjo; 03-14-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #37
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator
 
dbeachy1's Avatar


Default

To the staff's knowledge, so far Keith has not replied to anyone, even forum members he is friends with, about why he mass-deleted his posts and left the forum. If he messages the staff explaining why he did what he did, assuming he has a good reason for it, we would re-delete his posts in that case. However, if he was really in danger of "going to a Chinese prison as a spy" because of his posts on Orbiter-Forum, I would expect he would have told someone why he was deleting all his posts, or at least that he had a serious reason for doing it.

So far the only communication from Keith to the staff was a request that the staff close his account (i.e., make it so nobody can log in using it any longer), which we have done. Speaking from experience, 99.9% of the time when that occurs the OP is angry about something.
dbeachy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #38
ADSWNJ
Scientist
 
ADSWNJ's Avatar
Default

I think that the mods have handled this difficult situation in an exemplary manner, with thoughtful and logical process and due sensitivity to the rights of the individual and the needs of the community for valuable information imparted by Keith.

To Keith individually - please get a message to the mods or to me privately to let us know you are OK. You have many friends here, and we are all concerned about you. Our best wishes to you and your family and friends.
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 AM   #39
Enjo
Mostly harmless
 
Enjo's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 To the staff's knowledge, so far Keith has not replied to anyone, even forum members he is friends with, about why he mass-deleted his posts and left the forum.
I can confirm this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 So far the only communication from Keith to the staff was a request that the staff close his account (i.e., make it so nobody can log in using it any longer), which we have done. Speaking from experience, 99.9% of the time when that occurs the OP is angry about something.
... experience with members living in the Free World, mind you. Chinese communists are brainwashed maniacs who won't (/don't want to) understand, that we're just having fun with maths. We've had this in Poland too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 If he messages the staff explaining why he did what he did, assuming he has a good reason for it, we would re-delete his posts in that case. However, if he was really in danger of "going to a Chinese prison as a spy" because of his posts on Orbiter-Forum, I would expect he would have told someone why he was deleting all his posts, or at least that he had a serious reason for doing it.
That's a good compromise. I'll let him know. Cheers.

Last edited by Enjo; 03-15-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #40
malcontent
Orbinaut
 
malcontent's Avatar
Default

I too was wondering if it might have been due to his location, there are many curbs on the Chinese internet, Hong Kong in spite of its relative autonomy is not immune. If it was for his safety it's reasonable, but of course surely that's something admins could have done for him. At least on the forum I administrate there's a way to delete all of a user's posts.

Of course the real lesson (by Google cache) is basically if you don't want it to remain on the WWW don't put it there in the first place.
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #41
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator
 
dbeachy1's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
 I too was wondering if it might have been due to his location, there are many curbs on the Chinese internet, Hong Kong in spite of its relative autonomy is not immune. If it was for his safety it's reasonable, but of course surely that's something admins could have done for him. At least on the forum I administrate there's a way to delete all of a user's posts.

Of course the real lesson (by Google cache) is basically if you don't want it to remain on the WWW don't put it there in the first place.
Yes, an O-F administrator could completely delete all of a users's posts from the database, making it appear that that user made no posts at all -- in fact, we do this all the time with spambot accounts: it's just that regular forum members never see those spam posts because we physically delete the posts + ban any spambot account while it's still under its new-user two-post moderation. We could also physically delete the user account itself, but we rarely do that.
dbeachy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Math & Physics


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:16 AM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.