Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Hardware & Software Help Hardware & Software related questions & help.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #16
Col_Klonk
Orbinaut

Little do you know
Col_Klonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #17
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Klonk View Post
 Little do you know
I know enough to tell, that even developing custom drivers for the Raspberry Pi is more work than I would do in my free time. And especially developing custom drivers that are also architecturally secure and not full of easily and not so easily spotted vulnerabilities that the standard drivers no longer have.

PS: When I was way younger, I had already developed professional drivers with the Windows (2000) DDK. Its no job for stupidity.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 10-06-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #18
Col_Klonk
Orbinaut

And you assume everyone else is inferior... I actually started giving you the benefit of the doubt... I no longer need too.

Cheers...
Col_Klonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #19
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Klonk View Post
 And you assume everyone else is inferior...
No. I assume that everyone who is talking nonsense like that is inferior. That is way more qualified.

Also, I don't try to do recommendations to people, that are expecting them to REALLY understand the system and know what they are doing.

Its like recommending fixing your cars brakes yourself. If you know what you are doing and are using proper tools and parts, its safe. But if not, your life might be too short to learn how stupid you have been.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 10-06-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #20
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Well Avira moved Orbiter_ng.exe automatically to quarantine each time I ran it... It won its one-way uninstall ticket. Other antiviruses report nothing on it.
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #21
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Molson View Post
 Well Avira moved Orbiter_ng.exe automatically to quarantine each time I ran it... It won its one-way uninstall ticket. Other antiviruses report nothing on it.

No issues with my Avira here. It only complained about AMSO in one version.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:38 AM   #22
Keatah
Orbinaut

I like nag-free and stutter-free computing. Therefore I don't use any security suites or anti-virus or anti-malware. Nothing beyond the built-in windows firewall and router settings.

Haven't had an issue since 2008, and even back then it was only after visiting a nefarious site. I simply restored from an image and continued right along.
Keatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #23
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keatah View Post
 I like nag-free and stutter-free computing. Therefore I don't use any security suites or anti-virus or anti-malware. Nothing beyond the built-in windows firewall and router settings.

Haven't had an issue since 2008, and even back then it was only after visiting a nefarious site. I simply restored from an image and continued right along.
The last active trojan I discovered arrived on my previous PC in 2012 or so by a zero-day exploit of a Windows 7 vulnerability, that was existing in nearly all Windows versions since 2000. When reading heise news about the new threat, I used the Windows Debugger for searching for hints of it in the kernel, discovered signs, switched to a Linux boot DVD, found the trojan, killed it and life went on.

Eventually the vulnerability was fixed and my Virus scanner discovered the remains of the dead trojan and removed them completely.

Now more issues since then. I collected a few poor attempts of getting a virus on my PC, including hiding it as poorly faked "Oracle Java Runtime Update". The toughest task was to explain the Virus scanner that this directory on my external HDD should not be scanned because it included my collection of live specimen and interesting fragments of them.

Since I have a properly paid job, I don't use a free virus scanner, I pay for my license and don't get nagged ... only a friendly neutral reminder after two years to renew the license or recommendations to switch to the new major version. Exactly the amount of nagging that I like to see as admin.

The case for a virus scanner on my end is also not because of I can't do it better. I can. I just don't want to. My calculation is simply like that: The Windows 10 now catches about 70% of all infection attempts (For example by affiliate ads on serious homepages). The virus Scanner another 25% more than windows does. The remaining 5% is up to me. 5% is better than 100% or 30%, if you have better things to do with your life than doing repetitive tasks that a virus scanner can do better.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 10-07-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help