Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hardware & Software Help Hardware & Software related questions & help.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:50 AM   #1
dresoccer4
Orbinaut
Smile Can't Select NVIDIA Card

Hello all! First off, I just downloaded Orbiter this evening and am really excited to check it out. I'm a private pilot and a long time player of kerbal space program and DCS World, so hoping I can hop into this without any issues.

My issue is, when I go to option to select the graphics card, my NVIDIA isn't listed, just the integrated graphics card (which actually runs OK, but not super great).

I went to the NVIDIA control panel and added the oribter.exe to the list to force it to run the dedicated graphics card, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

So hoping theres a trick to having it show up the Orbiter settings drop down menu.

Thanks!
dresoccer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #2
Enjo
Mostly harmless

On my laptop it worked by enabling a "second screen" attached to a fictious VGA connection (that's NVIDIA) in Windows' resolution settings window.
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Fabri91
Donator

If you are on a laptop then this should be normal, if I remember correctly from when I had a similarly-setup system, but Orbiter will actually run on the dedicated one.

In the Nvidia control panel you might want to enable the dedicated GPU activity tray icon to check what is actually running on that one.

The important thing is that in such laptops which dynamically switch between one adapter and the other they aren't wired up quite like in a desktop, where the integrate GPU stays inert: instead, the dedicated GPU's output is piped through the integrated one, which is the only one seen directly by applications.

Last edited by Fabri91; 11-10-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

right-click the executable, there should be an option to choose on which card to run somewhere i the context menu.
You can also add the executable in the NVidia control panel so it will be launched with that card by default.
I'm sorry I don't have the proper terms and names of menu items ready, but I'm at work.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
dresoccer4
Orbinaut

thanks for responses guys. so i have an MSI Ghost Pro and i has a cool feature where, if the dedicated NVIDIA graphics card is actually running, the power light on the machine changes color. this is a quick and easy way to know if your application is running dedicated or integrated GPU. but to double check, that theres also a little icon in system tray that shows which programs are running which GPU.

so i know for sure that Orbiter is not utilizing the good GPU. i also tried right-clicking the .exe and select high-performance GPU.

is there a secondary .exe that opens the main game after launchpad window? trying to brainstorm here
Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
dresoccer4
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 On my laptop it worked by enabling a "second screen" attached to a fictious VGA connection (that's NVIDIA) in Windows' resolution settings window.
delete duplicate post

Last edited by dresoccer4; 11-11-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
Enjo
Mostly harmless

What did you want to say?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #8
dresoccer4
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 What did you want to say?
pardon?
Old 11-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Enjo
Mostly harmless

You wrote that you deleted a duplicate post, but I didn't see that you quoting me before that. Did you mean, that you somehow replied to me already along replies to other people?
Old 11-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
i also tried right-clicking the .exe and select high-performance GPU.
You still have to choose the correct device in the video tab in the orbiter launchpad. If you're using D3D9 client it will automatically pick the card you launched with, but I see that inline client doesn't.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresoccer4 View Post
 ...is there a secondary .exe that opens the main game after launchpad window?
Yes, only if you are launching the external graphics client version, i.e. orbiter_ng.exe.

This exe is a wrapper to:
Orbiter_root_folder\Modules\Server\orbiter.exe

Last edited by Ripley; 11-14-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
bisbeejim
Orbinaut

Default Advice on which Graphic Card to buy

I have put together a computer that the NSA would be proud of, however, I have yet to buy any graphics cards.

HUMILIATION WARNING: The next paragraph is me bragging about my computer - be humbled at your own risk.

It has one PCI express 16 slot, one PCI express 8 slot, and two normal single PCI express slots. I could surround my self with screens and the computer would barely notice. Plus, this mother board has a special dedicated audio out which can deliver 3d sounds from 5 directions. If that isn't enough there is a slot for a sound hardware upgrade.

I want to make certain I get the card(s) that go right in and work. I'd much rather spend time being creative than troubleshooting.

Thanx!
bisbeejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
Ripley
Tutorial translator

What's your budget?
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
dresoccer4
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbeejim View Post
 I have put together a computer that the NSA would be proud of, however, I have yet to buy any graphics cards.
I want to make certain I get the card(s) that go right in and work. I'd much rather spend time being creative than troubleshooting.

Thanx!
hijacking my post?

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help