Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #16
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Could also be that the installer of the game simply wants to install DirectX anytime and simply aborts after finding a newer version.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Could also be that the installer of the game simply wants to install DirectX anytime and simply aborts after finding a newer version.
Half right. Usually Steam has a special run script that it executes every time a game is launched. Part of this run script is installing any missing dependencies when the game is first launched. Some of these dependencies can include the appropriate DX Runtimes.
This is most likely what happened, that Steam ran the installer for the DX Runtimes needed for that game which just happened to use the same runtime version(s) as D3D9Client.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #18
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Basically all post win2000-systems were delivered with DX9+. Might still be an issue that the client requires a certain service pack, but with Win10? That's got DX12 bundled with it. What I could imagine is that your GPU drivers were severly out of date or badly installed, and that steam fixed that. I know Steam has the capability to do that, but usually it doesn't do it without asking... ?
Actually, the DX9 end-user runtimes aren't shipped as part of Windows now, and must be downloaded separately (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35) for any program <DX10. Edit: Note: This includes Orbiter. I'm not sure which version of Windows ceased to ship with the runtimes, but I remember having to install them into 7.
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-19-2016, 12:46 AM   #19
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Even on vanilla Windows10 installs, one still has to add certain DirectX to make D3D9Client work, which was exactly FlyngSinger's problem.

See here:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread....postcount=3233
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help