Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Announcements
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Announcements Orbiter-Forum Staff Members will post announcements about the website here.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
tblaxland
Webmaster

^ Good thoughts, thanks.
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #17
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
 Currently the timer counts down before event, and up after it. So if someone writes a post before some event and uses "until", "before" or similar word, then after this event should be passed it's hard to say whether that event really passed, when that post isn't reedited by author, and especially when seconds are omitted, without hovering mouse over it.
I have a suggestion for additional field in timer formatting string. A sign of timer counting, either only simple +/- for e.g. %sign% (or other unused enclosed in %%) string, or in some extended user customizable form shown in examples below.

An example for how would I see simple version:
Code:
STS-129 launch: *Click here to restart the timer*
And how would I see customizable version of it:
Code:
*Click here to restart the timer* the beginning of 2010.
I wholeheartedly concur. I had a similar thought (though less lucid and more plagued by bikini-clad lesbians) when I was posting about STS-129 this afternoon.
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #18
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblaxland View Post
 ... I think if the next most significant field is not present, then the display should take account of that. Eg, currently the hours field will only display up to 23 hours, but it would be nice to display the total number of hours if the day field is missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgonzo View Post
 I wholeheartedly concur. I had a similar thought (though less lucid and more plagued by bikini-clad lesbians) when I was posting about STS-129 this afternoon.
I've made something like this. Tested on my friend's vBulletin with success. Only changed file is eventTimerClient.js, I'm attaching here in the zip file.
I already sent details about extended usage of eventTimer to tblaxland.

EDIT: Updated attachment to even more improved version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip eventTimerClient.zip (1.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by orb; 11-22-2009 at 02:45 AM.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #19
tblaxland
Webmaster

Thanks orb. I have used your code and added the feature to have variable length fields. Taking agentgonzo's example, this would look something like:

HTML Code:
STS-129 launch: L[eventTimer]2009-11-16 19:28:10;%c%%dd%/%hh%:%mm%:%ss%[/eventTimer]
STS-129 launch: L*Click here to restart the timer*

or Apollo style (where they did not use the "days" field and hours was three digits):
HTML Code:
STS-129 launch: L[eventTimer]2009-11-16 19:28:10;%c%%hhh%:%mm%:%ss%[/eventTimer]
STS-129 launch: L*Click here to restart the timer*

And showing a custom sign string:
HTML Code:
[eventTimer]2010-01-01 00:00:00?before|after;%d%/%hh%:%mm%:%ss% %c%[/eventTimer] the beginning of New Year 2010
*Click here to restart the timer* the beginning of New Year 2010

EDIT: BTW, more exhaustive documentation can be found on the bitbucket page: http://bitbucket.org/tblaxland/event-timer/wiki/Home
Thanked by:
Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Quote:
 EDIT: BTW, more exhaustive documentation can be found on the bitbucket page: http://bitbucket.org/tblaxland/event-timer/wiki/Home
I think the usage and some examples of eventTimer bbcode could be also put to BB Code List in the FAQ.

EDIT: BTW, I looked at the wiki, and the question mark doesn't need to be escaped in custom sign string, whereas forward slash does.

Last edited by orb; 11-24-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #21
Tex
Webmaster

Quote:
 I think the usage and some examples of eventTimer bbcode could be also put to BB Code List in the FAQ.
I think you're probably one of the few who has actually found that page.

Nonetheless, I'll see about getting it added, cheers.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #22
Dig Gil
LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech

Quote:

EDIT: BTW, I looked at the wiki, and the question mark doesn't need to be escaped in custom sign string, whereas forward slash does.
I didn't knew that page existed!
Dig Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #23
tblaxland
Webmaster

Quote:
I didn't know that page existed either! I am curious, how did you find it? I couldn't find a logical sequence of clickable links to get there. Tex, maybe we could add a link to it from the main Bulletin Board FAQ?

Quote:
Thanks, wiki and README corrected.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #24
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

FAQ > Posting New Messages. There's a link to it in there.

Quote:
BB code is a special set of codes similar to HTML that can be used in posts to the board. To see the full list of BB code tags that can be used on this site and examples of their use, click here.
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #25
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Quote:
 I didn't know that page existed either! I am curious, how did you find it? I couldn't find a logical sequence of clickable links to get there.
Well, recently I got admin rights on friend's vBulletin, so I started to look around in admnicp, and found some places hard to find without knowing where to click.

Like already Xyon said it's in: FAQ -> Bulletin Board FAQ -> Reading and Posting Messages. The first link in there.
Thanked by:
Old 11-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #26
Spacethingy
Multitasker

Hi guys, just wondering, is the random "click here to restart" problem solvable?

The timer in my sig sometimes shows a timer, sometimes shows the message (and clicking "here" does nothing).
Spacethingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #27
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacethingy View Post
 Hi guys, just wondering, is the random "click here to restart" problem solvable?

The timer in my sig sometimes shows a timer, sometimes shows the message (and clicking "here" does nothing).
The problem isn't random.

Every timer on page needs to have an unique ID to make it work properly. A timer set in the signature has the same ID in every post using that signature.

Only 1st displayed post on page with that signature will have usable timer, because getElementById JavaScript function returns only the first element with the given ID, even if there are other with the same ID later on the displayed page.

The timer ID is set in signature and it's constant until the signature is changed, i.e. it isn't assigned to the timer when a post is created, but when signature using that timer was first saved.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Announcements