Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #16
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Didn't they do that in Ben Bova's "Return to Mars", or maybe just plain "Mars"?

It would be a neat thing to do, if there were another mission objective nearby, and within resonable rover distance.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Well, i know spirit died kinda close to some scientific stuffs... its just a secondary objective, and probably wont happen. It would be nice to do though
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #18
Chub777
Orbinaut

I thought we we're not using XR5s, XR2s and DGIVs.
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #19
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub777 View Post
That was the old OFMM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
Scruce
Ad astra per aspera

I would like to deal with the unmanned satellites that are used in OFMM. If you want to spread out more in terms of users in this project then I am fine just taking on OFMM-1 and/or OFMM-3.

There is a \\\'plot hole\\\' between choosing the landing site and sending the Lander there, I suggest that an unmanned Mars scout lander be stuck in between those two missions.

This unmanned Mars scout lander could either be the lander in
Venus Express
or
Phoenix
would be the ones I would pick.
Scruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #21
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruce View Post
 There is a \\\'plot hole\\\' between choosing the landing site and sending the Lander there, I suggest that an unmanned Mars scout lander be stuck in between those two missions.
there is? The two lander missions are specifically to gather more data whilst the human mission is en route.

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoey View Post
 Well, i know spirit died kinda close to some scientific stuffs... its just a secondary objective, and probably wont happen. It would be nice to do though
Not a bad idea and it really depends on the landing site. If it close enough to an existing lander site then it can certainly be a mssion objective.

Quote:
As I said in my first post I 've included vessels just for an idea about what the missions will require. It's not final or definitive. If you feel that that XR series shouldn't be used then say so here and people can debate it. After that the missison plan cna be edited accordingly.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #22
Chub777
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 As I said in my first post I 've included vessels just for an idea about what the missions will require. It's not final or definitive. If you feel that that XR series shouldn't be used then say so here and people can debate it. After that the missison plan cna be edited accordingly.
Well I'm fine with the XR2 and the DGIV but don't you think the XR5 is a tad bit overkill?
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #23
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 Well I'm fine with the XR2 and the DGIV but don't you think the XR5 is a tad bit overkill?
Not for me to say. I'm not flying the missions, you guys are so if you don't want to use the XR-5 you don't use it - thats why this is a discussion thread and not a set in concrete final missions list.
Thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

I really would like to leave a bace base on Mars, as well. If we're landing two XR2s, we should be able to make a nice sized UCGO base.

Also, even though we're not constructing a vessel, I don't think the XR5s are at all necessary. We could just as easily use something less overkill to refuel Cosmos. But since we're not going for hard realism, I guess I don't really don't mind it. And with the size of Cosmos, it might not be overkill.
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 I really would like to leave a bace base on Mars, as well. If we're landing two XR2s, we should be able to make a nice sized UCGO base.
New rule. If the 'bace' term is used I'll guarentee you a mission glued to the front of a probe thats fired into the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 Also, even though we're not constructing a vessel, I don't think the XR5s are at all necessary. We could just as easily use something less overkill to refuel Cosmos. But since we're not going for hard realism, I guess I don't really don't mind it. And with the size of Cosmos, it might not be overkill.
Cosmos needs 491,500kg for a full tank. Find me something that can deliver that - or several somethings and we'll use it.

This might be an option
Abora-C tanker

300,000kg to LEO but a little difficult to handle.

Last edited by garyw; 12-08-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #26
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Here is my OFMM patch design, made in Inkscape. It is based off the ISA logo (because garyw is heading this project - however, you don't need to fly as ISA; you can use any skin you want). The green line is based off the OrbitMFD path.

[-deleted section-]

Last edited by Pipcard; 11-29-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #27
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Alright then, here is the new logo (black and white versions):

And here are high resolution transparent PNG files for both black, and white.
I haven't made any sigs yet, but feel free to make your own.

Back on the topic of the missions, I guess XR5s will do for refueling. If anyone else wants to leave a base or something on Mars, I guess they should chime in.

Last edited by River Crab; 12-08-2011 at 02:49 PM.
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #28
Pipcard
mikusingularity

I made my patch because I love mission patches and I wanted to try designing one.
If you're flying a mission and want a patch, you can send me a PM about what you want (it's like Eli13). Remember that this is optional, and a mission doesn't need to wait for a patch for it to fly.

[-deleted section-]

Last edited by Pipcard; 11-29-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #29
Wood
Orbinaut

I may have missed it, but I think having a Crew Return Vehicle docked to the mothership at all times would be a good idea. Something with a low mass that can be used to perform a direct re-entry back to Earth just in case. Orion, CTV, Dragon, Pollux, Antares, Soyuz etc.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #30
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Dibs on the Sattelite transport!
BTW, what satellite is it?
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM