Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #61
astrosammy
Dash!

Orulex is ok. But I prefer playing with the D3D9 client, so I will not use it. As Gary said, "If you want to, yes".
That would also mean no DG-IV for me. I prefer unmanned missions so that's no problem for me.
astrosammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #62
Chub777
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruce View Post
 Lunar missions still depend on the Mars photo reconnaissance mission. Since it's a 'dress rehersal' for what will happen on mars, we need the terrain to be very similar.

For example, if we pick a location in the Mars highlands, then you land on the Moon highlands etc. (you know, for practice )!
Yes. We could make OFMM-3 a mission to launch a satellite similar to the MRO. Then we could pick a landing site and use OFMM-4 as a dress rehearsal on the moon. The solar satellite would then be launched on OFMM-6 and the entire mission schedule be moved up.
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #63
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub777 View Post
 Yes. We could make OFMM-3 a mission to launch a satellite similar to the MRO. Then we could pick a landing site and use OFMM-4 as a dress rehearsal on the moon. The solar satellite would then be launched on OFMM-6 and the entire mission schedule be moved up.
My DSCS is very similar to MRO (it was designed with MRO in mind), if you don't mind me suggesting my own addon.
It's smaller, and it shouldn't require aerobraking to enter Mars orbit like MRO did, with the right LV. I'll get a scenario for this up as soon as possible.
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #64
Pipcard
mikusingularity

[-deleted section-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub777 View Post
 Yes. We could make OFMM-3 a mission to launch a satellite similar to the MRO.
Doesn't OFMM-1 have the same purpose?

Last edited by Pipcard; 11-29-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Pipcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #65
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 Doesn't OFMM-1 have the same purpose?
OFMM-1 is a lunar orbiter to test out capaibilies for Mars operations (comms, GPS, etc).

OFMM-3 is a solar flare warning satellite.

Unless you guys want to change missions around at all?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #66
Kveldulf
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 OFMM-1 is a lunar orbiter to test out capaibilies for Mars operations (comms, GPS, etc).

OFMM-3 is a solar flare warning satellite.

Unless you guys want to change missions around at all?
In this case, no. It would make sense that we're going to test the capabilities for Mars operations before anything else.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote:
 Here's a possible patch for OFMM-7:
I hate to sound like an ass... but why worry about patches now? We're still trying to figure out what missions to fly, and even what ships to use.

IF patches are going to be made, it should be once a final mission list is decided on, and pilots are assigned to the missions.
Kveldulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #67
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

I believe Scruce is working on a SC3 Mars Orbiter... perhaps he can allow us to use it for the recon mission?
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #68
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
That's what I meant by OFMM-1 already having a similar purpose to the MRO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kveldulf View Post
 I hate to sound like an ass... but why worry about patches now? We're still trying to figure out what missions to fly, and even what ships to use.

IF patches are going to be made, it should be once a final mission list is decided on, and pilots are assigned to the missions.
I wanted to show what I am capable of in terms of patch making. It's a demo and something I made for fun. Sorry.

I just couldn't wait for the final mission list. [-deleted section-]

Last edited by Pipcard; 11-29-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Pipcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #69
Scruce
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 I believe Scruce is working on a SC3 Mars Orbiter... perhaps he can allow us to use it for the recon mission?
I confirm that I am working on two Mars probes: (Mars-Scout, Mars-Storm)

Only when Vash accepts my 'waiting approval' addons, then I can pester for it. Until it's accepted on Orbit Hangar Mods, you will hear nothing from me over here in terms of development.
Scruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #70
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 I just couldn't wait for the final mission list. When I saw River Crab's DSCS, I wanted to make a sample patch to showcase how it could be used in OFMM.
As you might realise by now, patience is a virture. I'm not rushing into missions. I am trying to give everyone a say in how the mission is flown but so far this thread hasn't had much in the way of mission discussion so much as patches and addon development.

This isn't what I intended but it is good to see that people are motivated.
Thanked by:
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #71
woo482

Small and relatively unimportant details like patches seem to be being discussed here more than the actual mission plan, I've only seen a few posts discussing the actual mission plan so far and it really seems like this is going to tread down the same path as the original OFMM if mission patches and addons are going to have higher priority than the missions themselves.
woo482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #72
garyw
O-F Administrator

As many of you know I am something of a stickler for going for real world procedures and processes. I wrote the attached document sometime back - I never finished it but it will give you an idea of how I'm running my ISA Mars Missions. It might help give you some food for thought here.
Attached Thumbnails
ISA Mars architecture.pdf  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #73
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

IS the Mars ship decided on? I've just perused the thread and I've seen the Cosmos, mentioned, along with the James Cook. Like the 'Cook, never flown the Cosmos, and I've just downloaded the Russian Mars Transfer Vehicle to give it a test drive.

There is something in the development thread for the Russian MTV about 'kitbashing' an existing lander to go with it. And the Cook has the 2 ports on the nose for DeltaGliders.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #74
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Cosmos has four or five, can't recall off the top of my head. It's a nice vessel, if a little large.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #75
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 IS the Mars ship decided on? I've just perused the thread and I've seen the Cosmos, mentioned, along with the James Cook. Like the 'Cook, never flown the Cosmos, and I've just downloaded the Russian Mars Transfer Vehicle to give it a test drive.

There is something in the development thread for the Russian MTV about 'kitbashing' an existing lander to go with it. And the Cook has the 2 ports on the nose for DeltaGliders.
I don't think so. I proposed the Cosmos because it has four docking ports so plenty of options for Mars mission load out, has plenty of dV to get to Mars but not so much that it prop levels can be ignored like with deepstar and arrow. If the Cosmos is to be used to fuel up the landing DG's (and unless ISRU is the plan then thats the only option) then people will need to excercise some prop management which adds a nice element to things.

I've not looked at the James cook at all.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM