Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #31
Chub777
Orbinaut

Well, when we decide our landing site and it's close to a rover/lander, then you could send an astronaut or two for inspections, etc. Not saying that this should now become a contributing factor when choosing the landing sites.
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #32
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub777 View Post
 Well, when we decide our landing site and it's close to a rover/lander, then you could send an astronaut or two for inspections, etc. Not saying that this should now become a contributing factor when choosing the landing sites.
Certainly an option but I think recovery of PART of a lander and not the whole lander is a secondary objective.

I agree that a search for life is a primary objective and even scouting for a permanent base is a good idea.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
Cras
Spring of Life!

Could I dare list the objects in order of importance as thus:

1.) Evidence (geological or otherwise) of life
2.) Test of material, procedures, and systems for potential viability of a permanent base
3.) Scout location for said base
4.) Recovery of lander (or could even a repair of a lander be done, to give it a few more months of life for scouting about during the time between this missions departure and the arrival of the next manned mission.)
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #34
garyw
O-F Administrator

I think thats a good list at least to start with. Repair of a rover is an interesting idea, I like it.

Now, any dissenters or other ideas?
Thanked by:
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #35
Lord Wasteland
Orbinaut

Maybe Valles Marineris? It is approximately 13 degrees south, but there are reports of evidence of frozen water near it. As the depth of 7.5km, it could possibly have an elevator design built in the side to head to the bottom of the valley for exploration.
Lord Wasteland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #36
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Wasteland View Post
 Maybe Valles Marineris? It is approximately 13 degrees south, but there are reports of evidence of frozen water near it. As the depth of 7.5km, it could possibly have an elevator design built in the side to head to the bottom of the valley for exploration.
Sorry, but maybe you can understand that we want to explore Mars and not build elevators that we don't even yet have on Earth.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #37
ADSWNJ
Scientist

Can we model any of this mission after the Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue mars trilogy? I.e. make the first base into Underhill, think about the Space Elevator, think about terraforming?

Or would these be an OFMM 6, 7, 8 ... into the distant future?
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #38
mojoey
JapanAXA!

This probably doesnt belong here, so feel free to move it...

if we are thinking about leaving a DG with two people and 3 years worth of sammiches, is the DG going to be moving from place to place? I.E. spend a while at one crater, fly over to another, so on and such forth... to conduct scientific stuff, or sit right where we left it, and serve as a temporary base, until a larger crew arrives with more permanent structures?
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #39
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 Can we model any of this mission after the Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue mars trilogy? I.e. make the first base into Underhill, think about the Space Elevator, think about terraforming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoey View Post

if we are thinking about leaving a DG with two people and 3 years worth of sammiches, is the DG going to be moving from place to place? I.E. spend a while at one crater, fly over to another, so on and such forth... to conduct scientific stuff, or sit right where we left it, and serve as a temporary base, until a larger crew arrives with more permanent structures?
No. This is NOT about setting up a colony and terraforming Mars. Look at the missions list. There is no follow on from OFMM (Unless someone else wants to do that) and personally I HATE the idea of leaving people on Mars. When the James cook is offloaded thats it - no more missions, OFMM over and closed. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Finally, Just how would you do terraforming in the confines or a few people wandering around a tiny patch of mars? How would you build a space elevator?

You wouldn't so no. New rule = no more mentions of terraforming or space elevators. Treat this as an apollo style mission to Mars.

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoey View Post

Which will be when? There are no missions like that planned unless someone wants to do OFMM-2, OFMM, the continuation? OFMM II- The wraith of UMMU?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #40
ADSWNJ
Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 You wouldn't so no. New rule = no more mentions of terraforming or space elevators. Treat this as an apollo style mission to Mars.
Got it, boss!!
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #41
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post

That's a great idea for an addon pack, but not missions. This is supposed to be a here and back mission.

From the scope of the missions being discussed, I think we should have a rough plan as follows:
Upon landing, plant a flag of choice, grab and bag a bunch of rocks and regolith, and take some pictures. This way, in case we have to bugh out, we have done something of value and can still make the immediate return window. Afterwards, after the return window closes, then we begin a long term science campaign, visiting areas of interest around the LZ.
Gary, you said something about +/- 10 degrees inclination? that's not very much to work with, as it really crimps our ablility to use the Cook as an additional set of eyes on orbit. If we put it in a polar orbit, we could pack along a really powerful sensor suite for picking out sites of scientific interest for the ground teams to explore.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

In the spirit of the discussion of future OFMMs, I think that we could maybe make a second mission be another "short term" mission, testing equipment for a colony, which would be built over the next few missions. however, this is at the moment, so I am going to drop this and plan my flight for OFMM-P1.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #42
Chub777
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 plant a flag of choice
I know this is off-topic (sort of), but I would suggest planting the UCGO flag that comes with the add-on. If not, someone can make a config for a flag with the globe on it or the UN symbol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 Upon landing, plant a flag of choice, grab and bag a bunch of rocks and regolith, and take some pictures. This way, in case we have to bugh out, we have done something of value and can still make the immediate return window. Afterwards, after the return window closes, then we begin a long term science campaign, visiting areas of interest around the LZ.
I agree with this.
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #43
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub777 View Post
 I know this is off-topic (sort of), but I would suggest planting the UCGO flag that comes with the add-on. If not, someone can make a config for a flag with the globe on it or the UN symbol.
Or with flags of the people involved in the project and a special one with the O-F logo?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #44
Spacethingy
Multitasker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Or with flags of the people involved in the project and a special one with the O-F logo?
I made a flag for OF recently, not a very good one though. It's for the Orbiter Flag Project addon.
flag.bmp

For sciencey stuff, how about seismological studies? Take some explosives, kaboom! (Mythbusters-style science...) Measure the waves from several different points. Could warrant various landing sites/rover missions.
Spacethingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #45
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacethingy View Post
 For sciencey stuff, how about seismological studies? Take some explosives, kaboom! (Mythbusters-style science...) Measure the waves from several different points. Could warrant various landing sites/rover missions.
how about having the james cook fire something at mars to test the seismometers?

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM

Tags
ofmm mission planning