Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 how about having the james cook fire something at mars to test the seismometers?
Sounds like a good idea. Since we should prevent contamination of Mars, this would mean using waste for this is a bad idea. But maybe we can use a 250 kg tungsten cone as additional payload, this could possibly impact at 2500 m/s, giving it the power of 250 kg TNT, without the risk of spreading life from Earth.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #47
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
 Or with flags of the people involved in the project and a special one with the O-F logo?
(To remind everyone)

My patch:

[deleted section]

I'll post only this because I don't want this thread to get too off-topic.

Just to be on-topic: Are we going to look for fossils or signs of organic compounds in those Martian rocks?

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-02-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #48
Jarod
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
  maybe we can use a 250 kg tungsten cone as additional payload, this could possibly impact at 2500 m/s, giving it the power of 250 kg TNT, without the risk of spreading life from Earth.
Nicknamed the Democracy module.
Jarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #49
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Sounds like a good idea. Since we should prevent contamination of Mars, this would mean using waste for this is a bad idea. But maybe we can use a 250 kg tungsten cone as additional payload, this could possibly impact at 2500 m/s, giving it the power of 250 kg TNT, without the risk of spreading life from Earth.
I was thinking something like the deep impact impactor.

However, I think you are a little too concerned about contamination. We are going to have ummu's stomping around and there is no way to completely steralise a spacesuit. Also there will be a lot of gasses thrown into the air from the landing XR-2's and it's not possible to completely sterilise those.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #50
Cras
Spring of Life!

I was just thinking about XR-2s and contamination last night for a possible Arrow-XR2 jaunt to Mars. Never has a reusable spacecraft been used for a surface lander. And there would issues abound on that front. Unlike the rovers that are on mars now, the XR-2s would be exposed to the "elements" as it were for the Earth launch. Then land on Mars. Get filthy from the Mars duststorms, then return to the mother ship. I would guess that when we deorbit the XR-2s, it could be done at quite a steep angle to get the hull temps as high as possible, thinking that this would do well to destroy any Mars gunk on the Hull, but there is really no way to get the XR-2s, a reusable space plane, sterile, land it somewhere, and get is sterile again for a return to Earth. Add on the idea of sending XR2s to the moon, and you see where this goes.

I say do our best, but it such concerns start to really get in the way of our mission design, such as rule out XR-2s for Martian landing, ignore them and move on.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #51
garyw
O-F Administrator

I was thinking that one of the first things that could be deployed are 'anti-static' landing pads that use 'tech' to keep dust at bay. Later landings can use those pads.

However, dust from suits in the XR-2s will be an issue
Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #52
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 I was thinking that one of the first things that could be deployed are 'anti-static' landing pads that use 'tech' to keep dust at bay. Later landings can use those pads.

I would simply say, running around with the vacuum cleaner inside the spacecraft and station will be one important job.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #53
Chub777
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Or with flags of the people involved in the project and a special one with the O-F logo?
I would say that that would take too many flags and cause lag, etc on low end computers.

Quote:
 how about having the james cook fire something at mars to test the seismometers?

Keep in mind that it would need a heatshield (heatshield = extra weight*).

*Unless you have an ablative one.
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #54
Luke Skywalker
Rebel Alliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub777 View Post
 I would say that that would take too many flags and cause lag, etc on low end computers.
You mean
This flag addon?

Or the flags from UCGO? Because flags don't really cause much lag unless there's hundreds of them in the screen.
Luke Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #55
Kveldulf
Orbinaut

Quote:

If we're concerned about any possible contamination, perhaps we could bring along a second set of suits designed for EVA on Mars? Once the EVAs are done, those are stowed away in a sterile environment until the return to Earth.

Unless I'm missing something, in which case I blame it on being half awake.
Kveldulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #56
Cras
Spring of Life!

I think it should just be assumed that we will do everything possible to prevent contamination.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #57
Chub777
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker View Post
 You mean This flag addon?
Or the flags from UCGO? Because flags don't really cause much lag unless there's hundreds of them in the screen.
Both I guess. But note that the XR2 can only carry 6 UCGO boxes (there's also the cargo that will land, not sure how much that will bring), and I don't think the entire payload should consist of flags.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #58
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub777 View Post
 Both I guess. But note that the XR2 can only carry 6 UCGO boxes (there's also the cargo that will land, not sure how much that will bring), and I don't think the entire payload should consist of flags.
Why would it? What about the large cargo drops sheduled for before the crew even get to Mars?

the landing XR-2 will carry the very bare minimum to ensure the best performance for landing or aborting should the situation for landing be off nominal.
Thanked by:
Old 01-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #59
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Nailed it there, Gary. Any non-survival equipment should be packed into a drop for pre-positioning. that minimizes the down mass of the XR2s.

Seismic surveys may be tough. We would want a bedrock LZ for that, since the regolith goes down quite a ways... and we would find nothing of interest.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #60
Chub777
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Why would it? What about the large cargo drops sheduled for before the crew even get to Mars?

the landing XR-2 will carry the very bare minimum to ensure the best performance for landing or aborting should the situation for landing be off nominal.
So will the majority of the science equipment touch down unmanned?

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM

Tags
ofmm mission planning