Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Announcements
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Announcements Orbiter-Forum Staff Members will post announcements about the website here.

Old
O-F Administrator

Default Donation target adjusted
by dbeachy1 11-19-2013, 04:05 AM

Hi all,

The server switchover to Digital Ocean is complete! After review we have reduced Orbiter-Forum's donation target from $123/month to $60/month. The new cost breakdown is $40 hosting & administration fees + $20 cushion = $60 month, with any excess beyond $60 in the forum donation account at the end of each year being donated to a charity to be chosen by the Orbiter-Forum membership. The amount donated to the charity will be posted on the forum each December when the donation is made. To see a list of perks that donator members receive, check the donation page here.

Please list your charity nominations below in this thread. The top ten or so nominations will be posted to a poll where forum members can vote. You will be able to vote for more than one. Thanks for your continued support!
Views 30522 Comments 39
Total Comments 39

Comments

Old 11-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
mvronsky
Orbinaut

http://b612foundation.org
mvronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
tl8
Addon Developer

International Redcross
tl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Pablo49
Orbinaut

I would suggest possibly picking a charity at the end of every year, so we can target topical charities, like helping out the Philippines here. This is through Direct Relief

Also, I recommending taking a look at http://www.charitynavigator.org/ before making suggestions, so we don't waste our money on on things like the Red Cross. A link to the Direct Relief summary on Charity Navigator can be found here.

Last edited by Pablo49; 11-19-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Pablo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Codz
Lunar Advocate

The CDC Foundation would be my personal choice, given the work it does in the fields of infectious, and non-infectious diseases, and other public health issues. It also has a very high rating on Charity Navigator.

SETI would also be a good choice, given the theme of the forum.

http://www.cdcfoundation.org/

http://www.seti.org/
Codz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Enjo
Mostly harmless

I wouldn't donate to charity at all, but rather keep the excess money to cover future O-F expenses. Let everybody choose what to donate to on an individual basis.

Big congrats on cutting down costs, while increasing the quality in the same time!
To quote Urwumpe: "Damn capitalism..."

Last edited by Enjo; 11-19-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 I wouldn't donate to charity at all, but rather keep the excess money to cover future O-F expenses. Let everybody choose what to donate to on an individual basis.
Strong agreement here.
Quick_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
I wouldn't donate to charity at all, but rather keep the excess money to cover future O-F expenses.
I think that might cause legal problems... As far as I know, it would technically make OF a for-profit organisation, pulling a whole lot of paperwork along with it.

Anyways, a very impressive reduction on costs there!
I will abstain from advising on a charity, as there's the off-chance that I might be getting some of that money in the future based on my advise even without blatantly suggesting the organisation we're currently cooperating with...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Pablo49
Orbinaut

Quote:
Or, since upkeep was just halved and there is already a cushion in that upkeep (50%!) and keeping $60 in the account at the end of the year, we could not just stockpile money pointlessly? If the money isn't really going to go anywhere, I'd rather see O-F not accept donations when there is X reserve in the donations account. I would imagine that is why the whole charity thing has come up. Also, with us being a large group we have the ability to give more than a few bucks to two dozen charities and actually make a little bit of a difference.

If you take a years worth of the difference in the old upkeep costs and the current ones, there is $756 excess, assuming goals weren't exceeded. Could wait a few years and buy an O-F car I guess.
Thanked by:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo49 View Post
 If you take a years worth of the difference in the old upkeep costs and the current ones, there is $756 excess, assuming goals weren't exceeded. Could wait a few years and buy an O-F car I guess.
Orbiter Space Program. We'll do a Kerbal job for a fraction of the budget.
Quick_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Reduction of donation target would solve this "problem". I, for one, really don't have excess money in my current life situation, so such a reduction would help from my point of view, and I'd like to keep this forum running, without having all the donators pissed off because somebody manages their money in a way that wasn't originally intended. Think about it.

Last edited by Enjo; 11-19-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

I think an "end-of-the-year" donation is OK, but it is not what the money is paid for.

I would also rather prefer donating the money personally at the end of the year and handle the O-F donation excess differently. But I see that such donations are likely the simplest way to get this solved.

Since we are a spaceflight forum, I am more for donating to something space, education or science related. Especially education.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Pablo49
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Reduction of donation target would solve this "problem".
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 After review we have reduced Orbiter-Forum's donation target from $123/month to $60/month.
Quote:
 and I'd like to keep this forum running, without having all the donors pissed off because somebody manages their money in a way that wasn't originally intended.
Quote:
 to be chosen by the Orbiter-Forum membership.
Think about it.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo49 View Post
 Think about it.
You said something about buying a car for excess money. So if my reply doesn't make sense, then yours doesn't either. But you know what? I'll go back to my work now so I can consider donating in future after you make the final decision what to do with my money.
Have fun.
Thanked by:
Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Pablo49
Orbinaut

Quote:
 You said something about buying a car for excess money.
That's the joke. Jeez, tough crowd.

Quote:
 after you make the final decision what to do with my money.
Quote:
 the Orbiter-Forum membership.
Even I have donated in the past, as I am not currently employed, and heaps of other donators. Is your money though. But I would suggest not donating if the goal is going to be reached so your money doesn't go to a charity, or just count your money as having gone to server costs and let everyone else worry about what they donated.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Announcements