Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
martins
Orbiter Founder
Announcement New Orbiter SVN commit (r.65, Nov 24 2016)

I thought I'd start a new thread, since it's a new year, and the other thread got quite long already ...

There is a new beta out. Change log:
  1. TileManager: planet surface tiles now support user-defined mesh grid resolution (33/65/129) - as discussed in the micro-elevation thread
  2. Canaveral: shifted reference point to VAB
  3. Mars: modified atmosphere render parameters in config file
  4. Utils/tileedit: now requires Matlab R2015a runtimes (not included)
Note that there is also a new commit to OVP (r.44) to go with this beta. This implements point 1 in the D3D7 client.

Regarding point 1: to see the micro-elevation updates around Cape Canaveral as shown in the micro-elevation thread, you need to update your Earth textures. I have uploaded a texture diff here:

http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/or..._10_08_diff.7z

This should be unpacked in the Orbiter directory ("extract here") and allowed to overwrite existing tiles. Note that this requires the high-resolution Earth textures already installed (either the full texture set, or the 10/08 tile from the map picker in the beta texture repository).

Note that the micro-texture area is quite restricted at the moment to the region around the SLF and the VAB. I'll do more as I find time. There may also be some minor artefacts (visible seams at tile edges). That will be addressed.

The tile mesh grid resolution can be selected under

Extra | Visualisation parameters | Planet rendering options | Tile patch mesh resolution

Play around with it (and also with the tile resolution bias) and see how it affects the visual quality and frame rate. Note that this will not yet work in the D3D9 client until the developers add support.

Regarding point 3: this is in response to a previous discussion about the colour of Mars. The point was made that the atmosphere has an effect on the colour balance of Mars as seen from distance. I tried to replicate that with modified config settings for haze and fog. This has a subtle effect on the colour without modifying the surface textures.

Regarding point 4: I don't know if this has been noticed yet, but there is a tool available to inspect (and to some extent modify) texture tiles:

Utils\tileedit.exe

This has a GUI to display surface textures/water masks/nightlight textures/elevation data side by side. Mainly it allows you to navigate the tile quadtree and identify a particular tile. There is some rudimentary editing capability for elevation data (this is what I used for the Canaveral microtextures). It's still a bit rough and probably not very stable, but may be useful. It tends to take a while to start up.

Note that this is a compiled Matlab script. In order to run it, you need to install the Matlab R2015a runtimes. There is a readme file that provides details.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #2
Post much?
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 user-defined mesh grid resolution (33/65/129)
Ooh, this will make for some killer shots of the Moon with the Terrain Camera/MI DTM @ level 11 . FPS drop=worth it!
Post much? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 05:00 AM   #3
Matias Saibene
Cold fusion devices since 1948

A question: is planned to make a collisions detection for the vessels?
Matias Saibene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Thanks for the update Martin

Here is a new version of the D3D9Client updated for Rev.45
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9ClientBeta15-forRev45.zip (1.11 MB, 307 views)
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
fort
Orbinaut

Thank you for the update Doctor

Matlab runtimes (680 mo):

http://fr.mathworks.com/products/com....mathworks.com
fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #6
Ripley
Tutorial translator

We need a new 2016 banner!

Last edited by Ripley; 01-21-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: 2015 banner image removed
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Loru

Quick and dirty but should work both in black and white backgrounds.

Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
DaveS
Addon Developer

I think you left out the new Visualisation Parameters options in the Orbiter_NG executable as the below screenshot shows (Orbiter.exe on the left, Orbitre_NG on the right).

Also will there be a way for us add-on developers to edit the terrain in the actual release version? I ask because for example, the SLF runway is still pretty uneven when it is supposed to be very flat and smooth and the LC39 Crawlerway is very uneven, possibly exceeding the Crawler's 1.82 m jacking ability (each corner can jack up a maximum of 1.82 m independently of the other corners to keep its payload level at all times).

Last edited by DaveS; 01-21-2016 at 02:00 PM.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
I ask because for example, the SLF runway is still pretty uneven when it is supposed to be very flat and smooth
A bumpy SLF sure seems a bit dangerous
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:28 AM   #10
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 I think you left out the new Visualisation Parameters options in the Orbiter_NG executable as the below screenshot shows (Orbiter.exe on the left, Orbitre_NG on the right).
You are right. I had missed the fact that the render options dialog wasn't globally available, but only applies to the inline client.
I have now added the missing bits to the corresponding D3D7 client options dialog (OVP r.45), but this also means that those options will also have to be added to the appropriate D3D9 configuration interface (sorry guys). Until then you can edit orbiter_ng.cfg manually, using
PlanetPatchGrid = [4|5|6]
PlanetResolutionBias = [-2...2]

Quote:
Also will there be a way for us add-on developers to edit the terrain in the actual release version? I ask because for example, the SLF runway is still pretty uneven when it is supposed to be very flat and smooth and the LC39 Crawlerway is very uneven, possibly exceeding the Crawler's 1.82 m jacking ability (each corner can jack up a maximum of 1.82 m independently of the other corners to keep its payload level at all times).
Is the SLF runway still bumpy even with the latest micro-elevation update and at patch grid resolution 65? That shouldn't really be the case anymore. (The crawlerway, on the other hand, hasn't been fully hand-edited yet).

In any case, as I said, the Utils\tileedit tool should allow you to edit the terrain data. Did you try it?
Thanked by:
Old 01-22-2016, 03:38 AM   #11
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Is the SLF runway still bumpy even with the latest micro-elevation update and at patch grid resolution 65? That shouldn't really be the case anymore. (The crawlerway, on the other hand, hasn't been fully hand-edited yet).
Yes, I even upped it to the max setting and the 15 end noticeable uneven. This can be demonstrated by simply loading the Delta-glider\DG-S ready for takeoff scenario and throttling up the main engines and let the DG do a run of the full length of the runway. One early hint of the SLF's unevenness is that the pitch angle begins to drop by several degrees. By the time you reach the touchdown zone markers for the 15 end the DG will begin to tumble and spiral out of control. The SLF should conform to the very curvature of Earth, it's that smooth.

Quote:
 In any case, as I said, the Utils\tileedit tool should allow you to edit the terrain data. Did you try it?
I tried it in the past but got nowhere with it due to a lack of documentation.

Last edited by DaveS; 01-22-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:55 AM   #12
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 This can be demonstrated by simply loading the Delta-glider\DG-S ready for takeoff scenario and throttling up the main engines and let the DG do a run of the full length of the runway. One early hint of the SLF's unevenness is that the pitch angle begins to drop by several degrees. By the time you reach the touchdown zone markers for the 15 end the DG will begin to tumble and spiral out of control. The SLF should conform to the very curvature of Earth, it's that smooth.
Are you sure this isn't just a resonance instability due to overspeed? If you keep the speed below 200m/s, everything seems to remain rock stable until you hit the ditch at the end of the runway.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:12 AM   #13
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Are you sure this isn't just a resonance instability due to overspeed? If you keep the speed below 200m/s, everything seems to remain rock stable until you hit the ditch at the end of the runway.
OK, so I did a number of runs and as you wrote, as long as the speed was below 200 m/s everything remained level.
Thanked by:
Old 01-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #14
Koloss
Weyland-Yutani Corp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins
 [...] overspeed?[...]
SPEED IS KEY!
Koloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:09 AM   #15
Post much?
Orbinaut

Grid resolution 129 with maximum quality:

If this is what it looks like with the LOLA-only data, imagine the Terrain Camera DTM!
Post much? is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta