Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
martins
Orbiter Founder
Default High-res planet textures in archive (tree) format

Here are the links to the high-resolution texture packages compatible with the release candidates (and hopefully the final release). When I find time I'll do a nice web interface, but in the meantime, here are the raw links.

The files are in 7z format and split into fragments of 4GB to help with downloads. You need to download all fragments for a given planet before installing them.

The files should be installed from inside the Orbiter root directory. They should automatically install into Textures\<planet name>\Archive\*.tree

These files completely replace the low-res versions shipping with the RC packages. Before installing them, it may be a good idea to back up the low-res versions in case something goes wrong (e.g. mv Textures/Earth/Archive Textures/Earth/Archive_lores).

The MinorBodies package only contains the textures for those bodies that are not already contained to their full resolution in the RC package.

Note that the "Map picker" interface for downloading a regional subset of the high-res tiles currently won't work with the archive format, since Orbiter doesn't support multiple archives for a single planet, and currently there is no way to merge sub-archives. So for now it's all or nothing. (You can still download packages from the map picker interface, but these packages extract into a large number of individual tile files, rather than the monolithic archive files. They are still perfectly valid and can coexist with the archives.)

Note that you have to download and install these packages into an NTFS partition. They are too large for FAT file systems.

Earth:
Moon:
Mars:
Minor bodies (Enceladus, Europa, Io, Phobos, Vesta):
I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Josh again for providing his server for these large downloads. Once the release goes live, it would be good to have some more mirrors online to share the load. If anybody wants to volunteer or has suggestions, this would be more than welcome. There will be torrents as well, so I hope there will be lots of people seeding.

Last edited by martins; 08-15-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Updated MinorBodies link
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Thanks for this! I went ahead and made this a sticky thread.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
birdmanmike
Orbinaut

Thanks, starting to get them. Just a query - are these higher res than the previous as used with the beta? For example - The Moon high-res un-archived previously was 7z parts 1 and 2 of 4,096,000 and part 3, 1,719,584 (on disk after download before un-zipping). Now the Moon is 7z 3x4Gb and 1x2.6Gb about, 4 parts and those archived.
So a bigger download but does it then unzip smaller than before to make the archived textures? Or what do I not understand - sorry to be obtuse.

Thanks
birdmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
martins
Orbiter Founder

That would have been quite an old Moon package. The latest one on http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/or...sets/moon.html consists of 3 fragments.

The packages of the archive files are larger, because the compression is not as efficient (first the individual files are zipped to build the archives, then the archives themselves are zipped), but after unpacking the archive files are substantially smaller than the individual quadtree files.

Edit: scratch that first paragraph, you already had the correct Moon package (I thought you were talking about 2 fragments).
Thanked by:
Old 08-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
fred18
Addon Developer

Hello,

is there any link to just one huge file for downloads? or maybe one for package? I have a fast internet connection and it's quite easier to let it download the package in one or just 3 or 4 files instead of 16

Thanks in advance!
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
martins
Orbiter Founder

Coming up shortly ...
Thanked by:
Old 08-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
streb2001
Orbinaut

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I found this "monolith" on Mars (hi-res textures). The co-ords are approx 129.5E 7S

streb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Loru

It's no monolith. Those are black and rectangular. This is just a weather baloon. Nice catch though.
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
streb2001
Orbinaut

Exact location: 129.079E, 6.395S. I nudged the DG to the top of it using the scenario editor. Great viewpoint!

Thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Abloheet
Addon Developer

That looks very cool!
Abloheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
jroly
Donator

Quote:
Exact location: 129.079E, 6.395S. I nudged the DG to the top of it using the scenario editor. Great viewpoint!
I see those all over the moon, best theory for them was UFOs flying over the planet when the planet was being scanned.

Last edited by jroly; 08-26-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added moon texture picture
jroly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #12
NukeET
Gen 1:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroly View Post
 I see those all over the moon, best theory for them was UFOs flying over the planet when the planet was being scanned.
Best theory I have is they are artifacts in the elevation data base.
NukeET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #13
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Traces of an ancient civilization in Orbiter !
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
streb2001
Orbinaut

Or a "WOW!" signal? I am interested to know why these exist. I can see an anomalous value in the elevation data causing it but there seem to be anomalous points surrounding it (see screenshot below). Are these extra points Orbiter interpolations or are they also real anomalous values in the data? Also, how to get rid of them. They kind of spoil the immersion. I can see how they could be removed manually but given that they have also been seen on the Moon there could be lots of them everywhere. They could take weeks to find. Maybe a kind of pop/crackle filter would work, similar to the type that removes surface noise from sampled LP recordings?

Thanked by:
Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #15
Ripley
Tutorial translator

I've been trying to download these textures since the beginning of August. Some of them seem impossible to download (Moon1, 2, 3 and Mars1).
I use FDM download manager, it says "unknown network error", it resets a 10 seconds timer and it keeps on like this.
Should I just keep trying?

Did any of you have problems?

Last edited by Ripley; 08-29-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta