Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:47 AM   #16
llarian
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 I've been trying to download these textures since the beginning of August. Some of them seem impossible to download (Moon1, 2, 3 and Mars1).
I use FDM download manager, it says "unknown network error", it resets a 10 seconds timer and it keeps on like this.
Should I just keep trying?

Did any of you have problems?
Hey Ripley, How goes Italia?

I had a lot of trouble getting the files, too. Most of them required trying about six times each. I didn't use a download manager as I find them somewhat less than effective. Since I am still working through my testing of RC4 I haven't noticed much of a difference. Perhaps once I get everything working together.

It would be real helpful if torrents were available. I have had zero problems trying to get files with BitTorrent.

Good luck.
llarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #17
jroly
Donator

Went perfect for me, I downloaded the files from the 7th-10th of August, went fine although were downloading at 1/2 my internet speed, I started downloading two at a time instead which maxed it out
jroly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
 I've been trying to download these textures since the beginning of August. Some of them seem impossible to download (Moon1, 2, 3 and Mars1)....
Ok, all HiRes textures downloaded and md5 checked!

-------------------------------------

I have this cloud problem, both with default LoRes 2016 textures and with HiRes ones. Look at the left clouds, they are so blocky:

Scenario is Views -> Atmospheric haze.
Rotate the view as to look at DG's belly.

Last edited by Ripley; 09-14-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: self-quote added
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #19
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 I have this cloud problem, both with default LoRes 2016 textures and with HiRes ones.
I can confirm this with standard distribution textures (I guess this is what you mean with LoRes).
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #20
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 ...(I guess this is what you mean with LoRes).
Yes, I mean exactly that.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #21
fred18
Addon Developer

I have the sami with hires as well
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #22
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by llarian View Post
 I had a lot of trouble getting the files, too. Most of them required trying about six times each. I didn't use a download manager as I find them somewhat less than effective. Since I am still working through my testing of RC4 I haven't noticed much of a difference. Perhaps once I get everything working together.

It would be real helpful if torrents were available. I have had zero problems trying to get files with BitTorrent.

Good luck.
BTW the official high-res textures are available as torrents (and, in fact, torrents are recommended) -- links are on the official Orbiter 2016 download page.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #23
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Ok. My first time for hi-res textures. I used the torret to get the moon ones. So I copied into C:\Orbiter2016\Textures\Moon\Archive

It replaces the default ones. But It looks the same.
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #24
Iacomus Maximus
Orbinaut

Is there some kind of 'smoothing' that was done to the hi-res textures? I flew out to Devil's Tower from China Lake (full SCRAM in the XR-5 - good practice monitoring temps and speed - anyway...) I got all the way out there and couldn't find it.
Iacomus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #25
Weirdo Earthtorch
Orbinaut

Quote:
 I have this cloud problem, both with default LoRes 2016 textures and with HiRes ones. Look at the left clouds, they are so blocky:

{image}

Scenario is Views -> Atmospheric haze.
Rotate the view as to look at DG's belly.
Hi Ripley

Hopefully this is one of several scenarios where I've hand-corrected the cloud textures - the issue is present in the base image from which the cloud textures have been generated. See http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthr...114#post540114

I've submitted the modified textures to OH Mods, but that was over a week ago, and I guess the queue hasn't been checked recently by the admins <gentle nudge Xyon/GaryW etc?> since it's my first upload.

The corrections are in the cache format, I used texpack.exe to re-compress them into the archive format.

Edit: in fact, here is that scenario in my Orbiter 2016: any better?
Attached Thumbnails
Atmos Haze cloud.jpg  

Last edited by Weirdo Earthtorch; 09-13-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added pic
Weirdo Earthtorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #26
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Thanks, it's smoother, but still looks rather blocky to me.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #27
Weirdo Earthtorch
Orbinaut

Yes, it's one of the more obvious ones with a lot of pixellation and hard edges. I'm no graphic artist - I just used some manual blur, smudge and occasional heal in Gimp. Here's what it looks like in the original (attached)

I didn't want to mess too much with each bit, because I was working separately on the level 9, 8 and 7 versions of the affected tiles, so needed them to still look the same.

It was all a bit ad-hoc - I just saved each scenario where I noticed issues, then hunted down the area in a scaled-down version of the source images (with a numbered grid overlaid to work out the tile location).

In an ideal world, someone could examine and edit the actual source images for re-processing into the tile tree format. If no-one else wants to, I guess I could, and then submit them to Dr S for subsequent processing....
Attached Thumbnails
Atm haze orig.png  
Weirdo Earthtorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #28
JonnyBGoode
Sky Marshal

So these are higher quality than 2016 stock? Do they work in the stock Orbiter or do they require the Dx9 client?
JonnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #29
Ripley
Tutorial translator

1) They are higher quality
2) They don't require external graphics clients
Thanked by:
Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #30
gattispilot
Addon Developer

ok. How do you install them? I used the torret to get the ones for the moon and using regular graphic it appears they are the same
hires lunar

default lunar

So is there a way to make another 2016 orbiter using the installer. It seems to only make an Orbiter2016 folder
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta