Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:37 AM   #31
Rambler
Orbinaut

Thank you very much for the new release martins! I've been playing Orbiter off and on since 2001, and really appreciate the work you've put into it over the years. It's come a long way!
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:51 AM   #32
vinny5000
Orbinaut

Hi, Martins!

When I try to get the orbiter 2016 from the link in the first post which is released today, all I see is orbiter 2010. Where can I find orbiter 2016? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent
vinny5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:14 AM   #33
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

It's on the main Orbiter download page linked in the first post in this thread: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ Then click the 'Download' tab and then click one of the USA download mirrors. (Please use one of the USA mirror torrent download links: the European mirror is currently serving a different torrent, and although the content is correct, it will be slower downloading because there are fewer peers -- it's a different torrent than the three USA mirrors are serving, and so it splits the torrent swarm for users using it. We are still working on updating the European mirror torrent to match the official Orbiter 2016 torrents.)

If you're still seeing the old Orbiter 2010 P1 Web page at that address, try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:19 AM   #34
reverend
Beta Tester

For those using archaic browsers having trouble with CSS/JAVA/Cookies/or Cache, the downloads are "text-only" browsable here:

http://orbiter.us/base
http://orbiter.us/tex
reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 06:26 AM   #35
cljohnston
Orbinaut

Anything special I need to do for OrbiterSound?
The 4.0 version I already have should work OK, right?
cljohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #36
Ripley
Tutorial translator

There are some known "misunderstandings" between XR fleet and OrbiterSound 4 (and something else I might not know of), but, as I wrote in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 Yesterday I've posted the 2016 news on Dansteph forum.
He said he was waiting for the official release first (he didn't want to chase the RCs), before updating his creations.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:33 AM   #37
JonnyBGoode
Sky Marshal

So far I'm loving what I'm seeing. But... is the ground really that bumpy around the landing strip at KSC? Or are those simulated bushes?

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Oh yes... forgot to mention: I'm baaaaaack!
JonnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #38
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
 Or are those simulated bushes?
So to say.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #39
trokkes
Orbinaut
Smile

I think it's a good time to come back to Orbiter
trokkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #40
fred18
Addon Developer

I don't know if it's a fault of some of my settings somehow, but even if I choose to "disable vertical sync" I still get 60 fps as the maximum with the inline, while I get more than 120 with the D3D9, like if with the inline the disable vert sync option doesn't work.
fred18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #41
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Some captions on the revamped Orbiter website are barely readable, see for example the last wireframe image on the "Earth" collection.
Text says:

Quote:
Adaptive level of detail
A look inside Orbiter's rendering engine. Planetary surface meshes are adaptively refined according to camera distance. To demonstrate the effect, this image shows a wireframe model of a view of Earth's surface (the Matterhorn, to be precise).
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #42
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Thanks again, Martin, for producing yet another incarnation of the best space simulator on the market.

Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #43
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 They are two separate torrents -- the Orbiter2016.zip torrent is the official one. Where did you get the European torrent? Is one of the mirrors serving it up? If so, that's a bug. The filename in the 'Orbiter 2016 Core_ ZIP Package' torrent is wrong, and it is not one of the official torrents.

EDIT:
I just checked, and the wrong torrent files for the Orbiter 2016 MSI and ZIP are indeed on the European mirror. As a heads-up to all, please use the torrent download links on one of the other mirrors until we can fix the European mirror. The torrent files themselves are small, and downloading the torrent file from a remote mirror will not affect your download speed for the actual Orbiter 2016 core files.
This issue has now been resolved. It's worth grabbing the newer torrent file even if you've already downloaded using the one previously available from my mirror (orbiter-radio.co.uk), because the two torrents have different infohashes, meaning that if you're seeding the older one, downloaders of the new one can't download from you.

You can verify you're seeding / downloading the right torrents by checking those hashes: The values are:

Orbiter2016.zip.torrent: 920158d61587ee0049f3369076fd1dae60472d9b
Orbiter2016.exe.torrent: 19f5cb4b507725b31d1fc68e6811f6c498adbfeb

The incorrect torrents have the following hashes:

Zip package: b1e8090ab5f274a05aac87d8b544c485b1e3ba68
MSI package: bcc10977c514eb3b5a0e7870e13fcf23b32ec11f

If you've got those hashes, then what you can do is download the newer torrent, and point it at the same download path, where you've pulled the Orbiter files to - this should cause the torrent to jump straight to "seeding", if you've already pulled the whole package, so you won't need to re-download the files.
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #44
Abloheet
Addon Developer

Isn't there any 'diff' zip package? Similiar to the ones for rc2 to rc 3, and rc 3 to rc 4?
Or can someone make one and upload it here as an attachment? for rc4 to release. So that its not required to download the whole 2.5gb base package once more. I already have the rc4 package
Abloheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #45
Jordan
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abloheet View Post
 Isn't there any 'diff' zip package? Similiar to the ones for rc2 to rc 3, and rc 3 to rc 4?

That would be too large estimated to 2GB.
Wanted to make one but I have noticed that it would not help to much.

If someone intends to download the high-resolution texture files, and i think everyone will do this, then the Earth, Moon, Mars and Minorbodys from base package are no more required. Then it is possible to pack the base package separately without these textures. But it will also be about 700mb large.

btw. the Hires Textures are the same as in RC4. you don't have to download it again if you have this done before. I have only Downloaded "Earth/Elev_mod.tree" again because i had a wrong md5 checksum.

Last edited by Jordan; 08-31-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta