Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Simpit Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Simpit Forum Share & discuss simpit projects for Orbiter here!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #16
lockingtoggle
Donator

It looks like a mirror collimated display.
http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/mirro...d_displays.htm

I am struggling to build one.
lockingtoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
TSPenguin
The Seeker

It indeed is, but without you having to view through a partial mirror and with beamers.
TSPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
lockingtoggle
Donator

yup, just like this one.

No, it is not mine
Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #19
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Interesting idea, but not really what I was looking for. When I get back to Houston I'll see if I can draw up a few diagrams of what I was thinking of, and I'll see what you guys make of it.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #20
BHawthorne
Simpit Builder

Here's my gaming rig setup as of tonight. I also have a 720p projector over the screens. I can do 7680x1200 in games. The pic is Eve Online.

BHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #21
lockingtoggle
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 Basically, my question is: are there any normal LCD/DLP projectors which include the ability to adjust for pincushioning? Or, if not, is there some kind of (cheap) optical lens solution I could use?
Just found this.
http://www.dalite.com/products/produ...cID=10&pID=403
Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #22
BHawthorne
Simpit Builder

My suggestion is either program an open source version of Sol7 or pony up $430 for the simpit version of Sol7. I advocate software solutions to correction over hardware.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockingtoggle View Post
Um...wow? Thanks for the link, but those are basically an order of magnitude out of the price range I was planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
 My suggestion is either program an open source version of Sol7 or pony up $430 for the simpit version of Sol7. I advocate software solutions to correction over hardware.
Nice setup.

Yeah, but can't you only use Sol7 on one computer? The design I was wanting to go with would pretty much require using multiple computers to do the rendering due to the high differences in the angles between the views...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
lockingtoggle
Donator

Quote:
 Um...wow? Thanks for the link, but those are basically an order of magnitude out of the price range I was planning
Checked the price after posting, and was surprised.
I bet one can make a low-tech homemade version of that. Maybe a solution to explore.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #25
BHawthorne
Simpit Builder

Quote:
 Nice setup.

Yeah, but can't you only use Sol7 on one computer? The design I was wanting to go with would pretty much require using multiple computers to do the rendering due to the high differences in the angles between the views...
Yep, that's the downside with Sol7. It's only for 1 computer. I'm still glad it's usable in any form though, considering there was no non-commercial access to Sol7 last year and the hobby version added more features and it 1/10th the cost of the commercial version.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #26
yagni01
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
 Here's my gaming rig setup as of tonight. I also have a 720p projector over the screens. I can do 7680x1200 in games. The pic is Eve Online.
And he obviously has a cheap source of Samsung monitors, too
yagni01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #27
BHawthorne
Simpit Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagni01 View Post
 And he obviously has a cheap source of Samsung monitors, too
Actually I have a secret about that.

-----Post Added-----

I was digging around earlier tonight and ran into a old picture from January 2007. Here's what I initially used as my sim setup with projection.

Thread: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...ghlight=#80001
Old 03-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #28
talavar
Sedna Pioneere

Just wondering if anyone has considered using OMP and running 2-3 computers out of the same ship in the same simulation.. you can get really any effect you want. 1 computer to display 2-3 monitors. you could esessionally wrap yourself in monitors if you wanted.
talavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #29
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

I was wondering about that too talavar. For my first simpit I basically want to have a projector with just the forward view and a second monitor dedicated to the control panel with a mask overlay fit to the XR's panel. I'm on a tight budget (the projector will be home-made from spare parts and an old-fashioned overhead projector) so things like triple head-to-go are strictly verboten. I was considering using vertical spanning to arrange orbiter's window to divide the panel from most of the forward view between the two outputs on my video card, but obviously an OMP solution would be cleaner and provide a better view.
Messierhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #30
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by talavar View Post
 Just wondering if anyone has considered using OMP and running 2-3 computers out of the same ship in the same simulation.. you can get really any effect you want. 1 computer to display 2-3 monitors. you could esessionally wrap yourself in monitors if you wanted.
Neither OMP nor OrbConnect have that capability yet. If you want to add it, though, go ahead!

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Simpit Forum