Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Meets & Greets
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Meets & Greets New to Orbiter or just new to this board? Say hello and introduce yourself to the community here! Feel free to also post birthday or holiday greetings here.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #31
Tekdino
Active reader. Rarely writing.

Hi,
I'm Mike, better known as Tekdino. I hope some people remember me from the old forums. I joined it 2006 and 6 of the posts were mine.
I'm a 17 years old finnish underground rapper who has no idea what to do after high school and army service. I've had 2 big active seasons in orbiter and quite long flight pauses between them. I've been quite depressed and busy with some projects and school but if I will start to orbiter again actively it will be my 3rd orbiter season.
--------8<-----
Oh yeah, this is excellent place to advertise our small community, Tekdinorbiter which was serving orbitering people 24/7 when other places had server problems. www.tekdinorbiter.urli.net I will start in-built calendar, picture uploading and flight planner systems when I will get my own server.
Anyway, the advertisement ends here.
-----8<--------
These new forums are huge, I haven't had time to check it out completely so I have no idea who of the members are here. But if someone knows me but has new name, tell me.
Oh and btw, rest in peace Retrograde.
Tekdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #32
Tex
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekdino View Post
 Hi,
I'm Mike, better known as Tekdino. I hope some people remember me from the old forums. I joined it 2006 and 6 of the posts were mine.
I'm a 17 years old finnish underground rapper who has no idea what to do after high school and army service. I've had 2 big active seasons in orbiter and quite long flight pauses between them. I've been quite depressed and busy with some projects and school but if I will start to orbiter again actively it will be my 3rd orbiter season.
--------8<-----
Oh yeah, this is excellent place to advertise our small community, Tekdinorbiter which was serving orbitering people 24/7 when other places had server problems. www.tekdinorbiter.urli.net I will start in-built calendar, picture uploading and flight planner systems when I will get my own server.
Anyway, the advertisement ends here.
-----8<--------
These new forums are huge, I haven't had time to check it out completely so I have no idea who of the members are here. But if someone knows me but has new name, tell me.
Oh and btw, rest in peace Retrograde.

Welcome to the forum Tekdino, I'll get you setup with the addon developers group.

Pretty much everyone is over here from M6, including martins.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #33
Tekdino
Active reader. Rarely writing.

Tekdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #34
Mustard
Addon Developer

My real first name is Frederic, i'm french and i live in a (new) house in normandy, beetwen Le Havre-Rouen and Caen, near of the D-Day beachs.

I'm 39 yo, and i'm technician of maintenance. My company is Gemalto (old name Gemplus) and we build your smartcards. I work in microelectronic room for the chip.

I use Orbiter since 2000 (i'm not sure of the date), with the first release.
For creation, in a first time i realised videos for Orbiter. After that i translated the manual in French and created with Dansteph the first francophone forum. And finaly we have a great Fr community and we create regularly somes good addons.
Personally i use anim8or for 3d model and Photoshop CS3/Paintshop Pro11 for textures.
Also i wrote an article for Orbiter in a Space news French magazine "Espace Magazine".

My english is not very good and it's the reason because i don't participate of the discussions here. I have 1.30 hour of english lesson each week with my job but it's not enough. My dream is to speak fluently english.

and i'm the webmaster of the francophone addons web site, and of the most popular french forum for space news
Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #35
Tex
Webmaster

Welcome Mustard! Thank you for all the hard work you've done for the Orbiter community, I love your sites and addons.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #36
gimp1992
Orbinaut

Hey Mustard your English is fine. I'm from Canada and have seen far worse, don't be embarrased about participating. At least you can write 2 languages I am stuck with one.
gimp1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #37
Scarecrow
Orbinaut

I'm Neil. I'll be 18 in a month, more or less. I live in Massachusetts. In the fall I'll be attending MIT, and I'm thinking about majoring in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or perhaps Mechanical Engineering. I've been playing orbiter since shortly after the 2006p1 release. I'm fluent in English, Perl, C++, and Verilog, I'm learning Python, and I can get around with Java. I've been programming since 6th grade. I'm on my High School's Varsity Sailing team, and I'm a martial artist (Second Degree Black Belt in Tang-Soo-Do). Some of my favorite authors are Isaac Asimov, Michael Crichton, Matthew Reilly, Robert Heinlen, and others.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #38
cjp
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekdino View Post
 ... who has no idea what to do after high school and army service....
Hey, that sounds familiar to me.

I'm 25 years old, finally about to finish my MSc in Applied Physics, and I don't know what to do after it (which is after next summer). Not yet found a PhD position that fits my skills and interests, and didn't find a job somewhere either. Well, if everything else fails, I guess I can still make websites :titanic:.

I generally like intellectually and mathematically challenging problems, especially when they are completely irrelevant to the rest of the world. A good example would be my master thesis project, which involves soccer robots. Well, at least we'll have some fun in China next summer :beach:.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #39
Deke
The Original AstroNut!

Hey everyone!
I use to be AstroNut on the old forum, but apparently someone has taken that name.

Anyway, I've been out of the Orbiter loop for quite some time now. But since this time of the year marks my two year anniversary in Orbiter, I couldn't help but come back to the community.

I look foward to meeting up with old faces as well as welcoming the new ones.

Nas darovia!
Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #40
Chipstone306
Orbinaut

Welcome back Deke nice to have you back in the community again!
Chipstone306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #41
Master of Blades
Orbinaut

Awright...

My name is Johannes, I live in Sweden, outskirts of stockholn, in what feels like the middle of nowhere. I'm about 17 years old (or rather, will be in october :weird. I'm currently studying to be a Game developer/designer.

I got hooked on Orbiter about... 4 months ago, when i read about it on an X-plane forum (coincidentially, I was then looking for space AddOns for X-Plane).

Currently I am rather inexperienced (nothing against what i was when i started out though, i knew nothing of orbital mechanics, I tried going to the moon by pointing the spacecraft in the general direction of the moon and just kept thrusting xD), still having problems doing orbital rendevouz, precision re-entries and landings and neither can i embark on interplanetary jorneys.

Whats more to say... i sport a Mohawk, listen to punk rock (REAL punk rock mind you, no green day crap), play EvE-Online and have somehow picked up a cockneyish accent (which is rather remarkable since I'm Swedish...), which tend to drive both my English teacher and my mates to madness.

This here seems to be quite a nice community, with pleasantly low ammounts of "GTFO Noob111"-posts.

Cheers
Master of Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #42
Piet Barber
Orbinaut
Default about me

I am a 30-something guy with a family of four. My handle is my real name. I'm the only person in the world with this name, from what I can tell. I was born in Rhode Island, USA, moved to Virginia when I was 4, spent about all of my life in Northern Virginia (first Arlington, then Fairfax, and then Loudoun county).

I moved to the capital of Switzerland in August 2007 (That's called Berne for you Americans with no geography skills), and find myself not missing many of the things that I enjoyed so much in the USA. I will never understand "football" (what non-Americans call football, at least). I think the only way to make that sport interesting is to remove the goalie position. I'm planning on being in Switzerland for 2 years total, then return to the US, less fat and probably more (politically) liberal.

On the weekends, instead of spending a perfectly beautiful day chasing a little white ball around with golf clubs, I spend them at the airport. I am a flight instructor for gliders, and I try to get as much personal flying in my single seat glider as possible.

No, not hang-gliders; those people are crazy! Gliders. Kind of like a small General Aviation plane with longer wings, and no engine. (well; no engine most of the time). Go look at my website and see some pictures of what I'm talking about.

I first got started on Orbiter when I played MS Space Simulator a decade or more ago, and wondered what happened to it. I found Orbiter on the Intarwebs around that time. My computer was too puny at the time, and I was going through my "I'm not ever going to run Windows again" phase of my Linux zealotry. A few months of watching my friend play CounterStrike, and I eventually got myself a nice enough computer to play games with; and started with Orbiter again.

The thing I am most impressed about with Orbiter is how the MFDs are so much more powerful and versatile than Microsoft's Space Simulator. Orbiter is superior in every way. .. But sometimes I liked the goofy MIDI music in MSSS better. I also like playing X-Plane on Mars; but I haven't done that recently.

About a month ago, I got fed up with the crufty mess that my Orbiter2006 folder had become, and wiped away everything; this time using the Generic Mod Enabler. I was about to use subversion for tracking all the junk in that folder; but the Mod Enabler is really what I needed to help keep broken scenarios and broken modules all in order.

I spend most of my Orbiter time in the DGIV until recently, when i started flying Doug's XR1 and XR5 a lot more often. When DGIV'ing I like tuning down the DGIV to the puniest thruster strength, lowest amount of fuel and oxygen, and launching the DGIV on the back of Kulch's Energia out of Cape Canaveral. I also really liked the space elevator add-on.
Piet Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #43
FlyingSinger
Donator

I had a deja vu experience thinking I'd posted in this thread before but maybe that was in M6 - it all blends together after 54 years or so...

I'm an optical engineer working as the international distribution manager for a software company (optical design and simulation software), which is why I'm writing this from Brussels or some such place. I wanted to be a military pilot and astronaut starting about 1965 but myopia foiled that plan. I ended up studying computer science, physics, and optics. I played with a lot of flight sims (mostly military) through the 1990's before finally getting my private pilot license in 2001 (flight lessons started in 1998 but there was a divorce in there that added a few years). I'm also a singer/songwriter and recorded my first CD in 2003 but that's another story...

I was thrilled to discover Orbiter in March 2005 and was surprised at how long it took a physics guy and pilot to learn it. I wrote "Go Play In Space" that summer to help me (and others) learn it better. I started my blog "Music of the Spheres" in fall 2005, mostly to talk about space stuff and Orbiter. I also became a JPL Solar System Ambassador so I can use Orbiter to teach kids and adults about space (yes, I am a complete and total space geek, thanks for asking ). Andy McSorley helped me on the second (2006) edition of "Go Play" and he and I met The Creator (I mean Martin) for a few beers last September in a London pub. That was pretty cool.

Orbiter is fun (and educational!) for kids of all ages and I'm glad to be part of the world's OTHER international space program. Even if some of you are even younger than my younger daughter (17).

Cheers,
Bruce Irving

P.S. Oh yeah, I live in Central Massachusetts.

Last edited by FlyingSinger; 05-19-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: forgot something
FlyingSinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #44
Scrooge McDuck
Addon Developer

I haven't even replied in this thread yet.. After countless of topics like this on M6, it's good to have one on the new forum too.

The way Arthur Clarke puts it, I will complete 23 orbits around the Sun next month. Discovered Orbiter about 5 years ago. Recently I graduated, so you may call me 'embedded systems engineer' now.. For my final project I did a GPS related study, during which I've learned a lot of technical aspects on the background and the functionality of the Global Positioning system. If you have any GPS related question, you're welcome to PM me...
Currently planning for doing another MSc programme, probably starting in August. Until then, I'm working on various software development projects.

I've got a lot of hobbies/interests, but some of them are Glider flying, programming, playing piano. Spending the weekends on the airport can be great fun indeed. I'm talking about the same gliders Piet Barber above here is talking about.. Besides catching thermals of course, something nice to do is flying parabolic curves with them, and experiencing zero-g (but will experience a longer zero-g parabolic flight in June). But if I'm not in the mood to fly in the real gliders, I also like flying RC stuff. Creating panoramic photos is also something I can't stop doing.

Recently I bought a sailing boat, I've done some sailing in the past, so I hope to do some more sailing this season. I'm looking forward to cross the world in a yacht at some point in future... Anyhow a plane would be good too, there are lot's of interesting places on the world, and it's great to have such an international community here.

I live in the Netherlands, in my opinion the landscape is way too flat here . But at least it's comparable to the landscape on earth in Orbiter (without the Orulex addon)... I have also been involved in the Solar challenges (not the one in Australia, but the dutch one here with solar boats). In 2007 we build one of the fastest advanced boats. Too bad the whole boat exploded during one of my testing rounds just before the race, but I was lucky to escape from the boat before it completely burned down. As a matter of fact, it was even a little faster than the winning solarboat of Delft University of technology, so it would have been a nice competition without the explosion...

Anyhow, I am also one of the lucky few to have met Martin ("the creator" ) at ESTEC, where I watched his presentation, and had a nice talk with him (maybe I was the only orbiter/forum fan in the audience, but I'm sure after the presentation they where all orbiter fans!). Also met one of the developers of "Stellarium" there. ESTEC in the Netherlands is also the place where ESA finishes/tests most of their space hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet Barber View Post
 On the weekends, instead of spending a perfectly beautiful day chasing a little white ball around with golf clubs, I spend them at the airport. I am a flight instructor for gliders, and I try to get as much personal flying in my single seat glider as possible.
Soaring in Switzerland sounds really great, what type of glider plane do you have? Maybe if I visit Switzerland one day, I could visit your club . Each summer, we take all the planes of our club to another country and rent an airfield for a few weeks. For now I've been in the Czech Republic and Germany, soaring with some mountains is great. Upcomming summer we will go to a place somewhere near Wolfsburg in Germany, looking forward to it.

regards,
mcduck
Scrooge McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #45
pilotpercy
Addon Developer

hi, my name is ash, im a chemistry student at leeds university UK. taking electives in quantum physics (the bane of my existance....damn you heisenburg......damn you euler) and astro physics. ive been flying since the age of 13 (im now 20) and fly weekly from RAF635 sqn as a voulenteer instructor (we teach the air cadets to fly). been an orbiter nut now for about a year but ive only joined the forum to night (well this morning). its nice to finaly find other orbiter enthusiasts as my constant tales of pin point injections and the like are wearing thin on my girlfriend who refers to orbiter as that bl**dy buzz lighyear game...................its not a game its a SIM!!!! tisk women ey.
pilotpercy is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Meets & Greets