Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old
Armchair Astronaut
Default SpaceX's Historic First Reuse of a Falcon 9 First Stage with SES-10 - March 27, 2017
by Kyle 03-17-2017, 04:31 PM

Alright, this is the big one (at least until Falcon Heavy flies)! SpaceX will refly the F9-1021 booster, previously flown on the SpaceX CRS-8 mission, with the SES-10 satellite. F9-1021 will also likely again be attempting a landing on Of Course I Still Love You, and it'll be a challenging high velocity entry too. SpaceX has set a NET of March 27, 2017 from Kennedy Space Center's Launch Complex-39A.

(F9-1021 landing on Of Course I Still Love You after the CRS-8 mission in April 2016)

Last edited by Kyle; 03-17-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Views 3921 Comments 81
Total Comments 81

Comments

Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Col_Klonk
Orbinaut

I'd preferred it if SpaceX had done it before they joined Nasa.. but none-the-less... about time, as they have to catch up with Blue Origin wrt reuse.
Col_Klonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

Here's a closeup I took of the rocket a few hours before the launch of CRS-8:

Here's hoping F9-1021 makes it two for two.
Messierhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Loru

Nice birthday present. Thanks SpaceX
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Klonk View Post
 I'd preferred it if SpaceX had done it before they joined Nasa.. but none-the-less... about time, as they have to catch up with Blue Origin wrt reuse.
A lot of things that confuse me about this statement. What Blue Origin did is pennies compared to what SpaceX is going to do (not saying that what Blue Origin did was insignificant). SpaceX's Falcon 9 is designed to launch payloads into orbit, whereas Blue Origin's booster is suborbital. As far as I'm concerned, Blue Origin is lagging behind SpaceX until they launch and reuse the New Glenn. Also, what do you mean before they "joined" NASA? SpaceX is not a part of NASA
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Col_Klonk
Orbinaut

ahhhhhh.. The innocence of the collusion of the Mars project.
Billions down the drain for maybe other undisclosed projects... yes ??

Look!! Mars is not going to happen.. probes Yes, but humans (without them dying of course) nada

Looking at reality as many other people are suggesting...
We're going nowhere (fast) until we come up with a new technology that enables easier space travel.
To put it plainly.. we're stuck in a Space-Rutt, with people like Nasa and SpaceX BSing us for more bucks, to do what ??
Looking at Nasa's Orion (thought this was common knowledge for 50 years already !!), SpaceX's manned launches... Lot's of Talk !

Sure it takes time with zero defect.. but no real proof yet??... Seen that somewhere before

With regard to the New Glenn.. a successful landing of those will put them way ahead of SpaceX on one blow.
I think they'll be more successful in this endeavor and will carry on to be a successful private enterprise.
SpaceX eventually will be swallowed up by Nasa's politics and will cease to exist, while Musk will move onto more lucrative ventures.

Last edited by Col_Klonk; 03-17-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

We get it, you hate SpaceX.

Now can we move on and talk about the re-use of this booster, now?
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
Col_Klonk
Orbinaut

You're back on topic again

Being from a Technical/Engineering background all my life I think their overall approach to the project is totally wrong.

Politically the approach is correct.
- Popularist (this lost the recent elections)
- Viva USA
- Patriotism USA ( I despise any form of blind patriotism )

This tells me, in no uncertain terms, they're not up to the job of space travel.

Whereas Blue Origin is just getting on with the job without any political noise.
Yes.. I like this approach to technicalities

So what?

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Quote:
 ..about time, as they have to catch up with Blue Origin wrt reuse.
This all I said about SpaceX...

There's plenty background.. that doesn't need to be explored (and butchered again).. but if you want too

Last edited by Col_Klonk; 03-17-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008

They need to start painting tail numbers on these things so we can keep track of them, and get a stencil keeping score of the number of landings on each stage. And nose art individual to each stage.

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #10
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Col_klonk, whether or not you agree with SpaceX's methods and goals and why you think Blue Origin is better is off-topic. You are welcome to take that to another thread. This thread is a dedicated update and discussion thread to the SES-10 mission and the reuse of the Falcon 9 first stage.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
 They need to start painting tail numbers on these things so we can keep track of them, and get a stencil keeping score of the number of landings on each stage. And nose art individual to each stage.

{image}
They actually have started painting physical numbers on the bottom of the booster. I don't know if F9-1021 does, but the F9 launch earlier this week had "30" on the side.

---------- Post added 03-18-17 at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-17-17 at 09:30 PM ----------

SES-10 has been fueled ahead of its launch.
https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/03/1...reused-rocket/

Last edited by Kyle; 03-17-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
barrygolden
Orbinaut

Space X has always seemed to think about how to save money and cut cost. NASA thought about recovering Saturn 1B's out of the water and refired one but were working on the shuttle at the time. We at Space X are always asked about new ideas and even I have shared a few with them, they want bold ideas about space flight
barrygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
Col_Klonk
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
 This thread is a dedicated update and discussion thread to the SES-10 mission and the reuse of the Falcon 9 first stage.
Sorry!!,.. I did go off at a tangent (Exciting isn't it ), but yes we have to get space travel down to the art of flying aircraft ('infinite' reuse).

As mentioned, if SpaceX did this by themselves.. I'd be happy for the achievement as we need non-governmental/non-political institutions to break new grounds.

With government control of space enteprises, which I fear SpaceX will eventually fall under, eventually will lead to another disaster in the making.

With the relaunch of the first stage, I predict structural failure (if the original stage). If OK well done.. but the test of MTBF remains.

Maybe pessimistic, realism.. but remember I did suggest landing the first stage on one engine only (and the reasons for this)..
SpaceX seems to be doing this now...
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #13
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

This will be, what, launch #3 in under a month from LC 39A? Fantastic pace.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #14
Col_Klonk
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
 They actually have started painting physical numbers on the bottom of the booster. I don't know if F9-1021 does, but the F9 launch earlier this week had "30" on the side.
They should paint it midway on the booster structure... I'll leave that for some bright spark to work out

Sometimes I wonder

---------- Post added 03-21-17 at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-20-17 at 11:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygolden View Post
 Space X has always seemed to think about how to save money and cut cost. NASA thought about recovering Saturn 1B's out of the water and refired one but were working on the shuttle at the time. We at Space X are always asked about new ideas and even I have shared a few with them, they want bold ideas about space flight
Excuse me !!!.. THEY must get off their rear ends and work that out for themselves.

Are they that stupid, employed such dense people.. and want free ideas to make their company a big thing.

If you have a revelation idea, that works.. you must get paid for your 'garage' work.

There you go !!

Last edited by dbeachy1; 03-21-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Let's please keep it civil, guys.
Thanked by:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #15
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Up theirs.. sport... If you have a revelation idea, that works.. you must get paid for your 'garage' work.
Exactly. If you are really good in something, don't do it for free.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News