Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Hardware & Software Help Hardware & Software related questions & help.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #16
Interceptor
Orbinaut

I guess maybe,I will just bite the bullet,and download every important update that Microsofts putting up,but,I will think about it for awhile,but if anybody else has any more advice please let me know,and thanks again for all the answers.
Interceptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #17
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 I guess maybe,I will just bite the bullet,and download every important update that Microsofts putting up,but,I will think about it for awhile,but if anybody else has any more advice please let me know,and thanks again for all the answers.
Here's some solutions to avoid getting the the "Get Windows 10" update: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+can+i+avoid+getting+windows+10
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Wow DaveS,I am just asking advice,I already looked it up a while, ago I just wanted to see what others have to say,anyways here's an interesting read about the patching. http://www.infoworld.com/article/312...hocalypse.html
Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #19
ADSWNJ
Scientist

My view is that this is not a big deal. Microsoft is collecting anonymized basic usage data, for product development and optimization. It's not a drag-net to spy on every file you access, or to extract your personal property off the box. You have the ability to dial up or down the amount of data going to Microsoft.

If you are OK to use Windows at all, then my view is you should probably let it do its thing and give you updates as needed to keep things running smoothly.
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #20
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 My view is that this is not a big deal. Microsoft is collecting anonymized basic usage data, for product development and optimization. It's not a drag-net to spy on every file you access, or to extract your personal property off the box. You have the ability to dial up or down the amount of data going to Microsoft.

If you are OK to use Windows at all, then my view is you should probably let it do its thing and give you updates as needed to keep things running smoothly.
Or if you absolutely, positively must control updates. Setup a time schedule for manual updating. Remember that not updating is just as unsafe as your fears of Microsoft wrongly using data.
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #21
Interceptor
Orbinaut

I don't know if there is any way to select how much info you give MS in the new patching format with win 7,and,IE 11,thanks for all the info,and setting my mind a little bit more at ease.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #22
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Windows 7 didn't have very much telemetry to be worried about. Mostly just crash reporting and very basic data that would be pretty much impossible to have any kind of privacy issue about (think "number of times you've clicked the left mouse button since starting the computer" -- literally just the count, not any other data).

The more extensive telemetry didn't start until Windows 8 and later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Here's some solutions to avoid getting the the "Get Windows 10" update: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+can+i+avoid+getting+windows+10
This is now irrelevant. The upgrade to windows 10 is no longer free, so you don't have to worry about being upgraded anymore.
Hielor is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-29-2017, 12:48 AM   #23
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Thanks Hielor now you truly set me at ease.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:35 AM   #24
ADSWNJ
Scientist

/thread then
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help