Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

MFD Questions & Help Post your questions here for help with the Multi-Function Displays.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
GodAtum
Orbinaut
Default Automatic finding of values?

I'm not a programmer, but instead of finding the dv values manually to make the closest approach, surely this is the perfect task for a computer? A computer can just loop trough all the values?
GodAtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
 I'm not a programmer, but instead of finding the dv values manually to make the closest approach, surely this is the perfect task for a computer? A computer can just loop trough all the values?
There are alternative MFDs that solve this problem by differential equations, for example IMFD.

But in general, all approaches to solve this require you to give it good constraints and starting values. You could also take a look at the NASA tool GMAT, though its true power requires Matlab to be installed.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 There are alternative MFDs that solve this problem by differential equations, for example IMFD.

But in general, all approaches to solve this require you to give it good constraints and starting values.
Ditto.
My version of TransX does this automatically, but never in manoeuvre mode, since it's very hard to constraint the search space to get reasonable values. For instance: when in Earth orbit, targeting the Moon, without good constraints the best solution is the one, that overshoots the Moon, still having the smallest "Cl. Approach".
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 For instance: when in Earth orbit, targeting the Moon, without good constraints the best solution is the one, that overshoots the Moon, still having the smallest "Cl. Approach".
Sounds like the astrodynamics version of the old joke "how does an assembler programmer choose to get down a high cliff? GERONIMO!"
Old 02-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
GodAtum
Orbinaut

Ah i see! I've tried using some matlab addons but they enver seemed to get values I could use in orbiter.

Last edited by GodAtum; 02-13-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
 Ah i see! I've tried using some matlab addons but they enver seemed to get values I could use in orbiter.
Orbiter uses a left-handed coordinate system, while most other software uses right handed coordinate systems. You need to do a projection there.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
GodAtum
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Orbiter uses a left-handed coordinate system, while most other software uses right handed coordinate systems. You need to do a projection there.
Even this one? http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=19682

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help