Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO View Post
 ...In the video Tex has just passed the reference axis, and the ToR goes to 102.8K (seconds) for both craft. There's no way to tell who will arrive first...
Exactly. When I saw both going to 102.8k my confusion started.
Ok, never mind...

Last edited by Ripley; 06-08-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
C3PO
Donator

When I use SyncMFD I always wait until DTMin isn't last on the list. That way you know you have the orbit with the closest distance. I usually wait for orbit 10 to go yellow. Then I change LEN to 11 before making the adjustment.

Remember "0" is the current orbit.
C3PO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Tex
Webmaster

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Using the NASA orbital mechanics video, I have written up a new dialog for the first part of the video which will cover all six of the orbital elements and explain in greater detail the orbit MFD using specific examples. I will work on getting that done this weekend. Once I finish it, I'll remove the old video and upload the new and update this thread.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
shangding
Orbinaut

Great TEX Thank You!
shangding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
Tex
Webmaster

No problem! If you liked these preliminary videos, wait until you see the final versions. I'm just about finished with the new part 1, but I'm working with Martin to ensure it's all correct before releasing it. Hopefully I can wrap it up within a day or two now.
Thanked by:
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
Tex
Webmaster

It has taken considerably longer than anticipated to get the final polished version of part 1 finished, but today I have finally finished it! I still have to render the video, which takes hours, then upload it, so perhaps later tonight I can have it posted.

Stay tuned!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
Tex
Webmaster

I had to facepalm myself last night after the video render finished and I realized I picked the wrong resolution. So, I had to render it again letting it go all night. It's finally been finished and uploaded to You Tube:

Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Cool Tex, loved the first video.
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
Rtyh-12
Orbinaut

Awesome! But the real question here is whether a complete noob can watch it and understand everything. For example, you mentioned the vernal equinox -- but what if the person watching has no idea what it is? I think that, when making a noob tutorial like this, it's best to think like a noob yourself.

IMO this tutorial could be improved, but that being said, I think it's very good anyway. Congrats!
Rtyh-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:54 AM   #25
Tex
Webmaster

UPDATE: In case you don't follow me on YouTube, I am finally getting around to completing this long overdue tutorial series I started so many years ago. I began the project when we had ORBITER 2010, and I will now be finishing it with ORBITER 2016.

At any rate, the first part covering the orbital elements still applies to the new ORBITER release, although now that I have a good microphone, it makes me want to re-narrate the video with better quality audio. First, I will complete the remaining parts. Yesterday I uploaded part 2 and today I uploaded part 3, which you can watch from the top of this thread.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:11 AM   #26
RacerX
Donator

Cool glad ta see you tex. Looking forward to another Texfilms vid. Give me a hollar when you get around Lake Jackson 288 freeway area

Last edited by RacerX; 12-31-2016 at 04:17 AM.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #27
Tex
Webmaster

Well it ended up taking 7 videos to complete this tutorial, but there you have it. All videos are up on YouTube and available for viewing in the first post of this thread!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #28
Oceanic
Tutorial Publisher

Hello Tex

Long time no see

I subscribed a looooooong time ago to your channel and was very happy that YouTube decided to show one of your videos on my front-page a few days ago. Binge-watched all your videos the last few days.

Had to login to the forum and say thanks!

Please keep them coming
Oceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #29
Tex
Webmaster

Hi mate, thanks for checking in and watching. Hope you are doing well!

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges