Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #106
dumbo2007
Crazy about real time sims

I have an unrelated question about the D3D9 client. How intensive is rendering to a texture in external views with D3D9. Suppose I wanted to render panels so that they would be visible to UMMUs inside a vessel-base for example. Further suppose I wanted to change the contents of these panels in real time - using something like dynamic textures. Would the frame rate take a big hit ?
dumbo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #107
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo2007 View Post
 I have an unrelated question about the D3D9 client. How intensive is rendering to a texture in external views with D3D9. Suppose I wanted to render panels so that they would be visible to UMMUs inside a vessel-base for example. Further suppose I wanted to change the contents of these panels in real time - using something like dynamic textures. Would the frame rate take a big hit ?
It would be pretty small texture, so, it shouldn't cause a framerate impact.

Here is a new release.

- Camera near clipping plane issue addressed.
- SSU virtual cockpit issue fixed.
- SSU texture problem fixed
- SSU launch pad animation issue fixed.
- Virtual cockpit MFD related "turn-off" bug fixed.

I am getting a CTD with SSU when using D3D9ClientRelease.dll and I am not exactly sure is it caused by D3D9Client or SSU. It seems to be executing SSU related code before the CTD. The CTD doesn't happen with debug build.

Last edited by jarmonik; 06-13-2011 at 01:04 PM.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #108
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 - SSU virtual cockpit issue fixed.
- SSU texture problem fixed
- SSU launch pad animation issue fixed.
Can confirm this here. Although, it doesn't load the correct orbiter texture. It loads our default orbiter texture MGAtlantis.dds when it should load whatever texture is specified in the mission config file.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #109
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Can confirm this here. Although, it doesn't load the correct orbiter texture. It loads our default orbiter texture MGAtlantis.dds when it should load whatever texture is specified in the mission config file.
The Orbiter should assign a proper texture by calling clbkSetMeshTexture(). The Client doesn't have enough information to load any specific textures.
Thanked by:
Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #110
DaveS
Addon Developer

Getting this washout effect in the SSU VC:
Attached Thumbnails
SSU_VC_washout_D3D9.jpg  
Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #111
Tschachim
Beta Tester

Hi Jarmo,

thanks for the new alpha 14, vessel and base rendering is working very well!

However in this version I get errors when switching between panels ([ERROR] .\D3D9Surface.cpp Line:174 Error: -2005532292 pDevice->CreateOffscreenPlainSurface..., see logfile), I can't remember getting this error with alpha 11 or 12.

Also, the MFDs in the generic glass cockpit seem to have a sizing problem, see screenshot.

Thanks
Tschachim
Attached Thumbnails
GenericCockpit.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9ClientLog.zip (46.0 KB, 7 views)
Tschachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #112
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschachim View Post
 Also, the MFDs in the generic glass cockpit seem to have a sizing problem, see screenshot.
I haven't been able to reproduce this. Is this a new problem or has it existed in older versions ?

The other error is caused by running out of video memory. I did change the memory allocation behaviour for Alpha14 but it was a bad idea.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #113
Tschachim
Beta Tester

Quote:
 I haven't been able to reproduce this. Is this a new problem or has it existed in older versions ?
I'm not sure, it might be a glitch in my graphic driver, I'll do more tests...
Tschachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #114
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Ok, Here is alpha 15. It's almost ready for beta testing only a few issues remains.

- Geometry culling algorithm implemented. This should increase especially a virtual cockpit framerates.
- Local light sources are online.
- Cloud shadows are online.
- Vessel shadows are online.
- Some z-buffer related bugs are fixed.
- Planet rings are now working.
- The "washout" effect reduced by reducing sunlight in virtual cockpit. Separate VCTech section now exists in MeshTech.fx for rendering adjustments.

Not yet implemented:
- Particle effects
- Planetarium mode labels and markers
- Building shadows
- Celestial sphere background images

Known Bugs:
- MFD buttons in glass cockpit won't always work.
- Meshes in AMSO are currupted. (The same will happen in D3D7Client)
- DeltaGlider IV will CTD. (The same will happen in D3D7Client)

Last edited by jarmonik; 06-13-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #115
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Some tests:

Top left: Issue with Delta Glider VC - not sure what that panel is meant to look like but it looks odd

Top Right: Looking upwards in the DG VC - looks like the top of the pilot mesh is cutting in above the camera

Bottom Left: Camera cutting through the seat in the DG VC

Bottom Right: Better framerates in D3D9 than in D3D7. :D

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3D9tests.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	6144
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #116
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyon View Post
 Some tests:
Top Right: Looking upwards in the DG VC - looks like the top of the pilot mesh is cutting in above the camera
Bottom Left: Camera cutting through the seat in the DG VC
The top right problem is caused by the near clipping plane being too close to the camera and the other one is caused by near clipping plane being too far from the camera. The only way to fix the issue is to remove the pilot's head. There might be a way to do that if the head is in a different mesh group than the rest of the body.

Here is a minor update. Should fix some SSU VC/MFD related issues and local light source related issues.

Last edited by jarmonik; 06-13-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #117
DaveS
Addon Developer

Thanks for all of your hard work on this jarmonik! Just two questions: has the number of local lights supported been increased or is it still maxed out at 8? Also would it be possible to add a configurable clipping plane distance?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #118
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Thanks for all of your hard work on this jarmonik! Just two questions: has the number of local lights supported been increased or is it still maxed out at 8? Also would it be possible to add a configurable clipping plane distance?
The maximum light count is currently 4 but there shouldn't be any problems to increase it to 12-24 lights. And I am talking about active light source, a scenario could contain alot more like 100-200 light sources but only 12-24 closest to the camera would actually emit light. Also should be noted that every lightsource will reduce the framerate a bit. Most of these light sources are using so called "per vertex lighting" where light intensity is computed for every vertex and is then interpoleted across the face. This works pretty well when used for a high resolution mesh like a vessel. But it won't work at all with a low resolution mesh like a runway. That would require "per pixel lighting" and there could be only about 2-4 light sources for that. Currently Orbiter's API doesn't allow to configure light sources like that.

If you are talking about the clipping plane in the virtual cockpit view then I can make it configurable via D3D9Client.cfg and the Extra tab. However, the exterior view clipping plane is dynamically updated based on the camera position and direction.
Thanked by:
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #119
Thorton
sense offender

There are a few problems i've noticed with new alpha:
1. MFDs in VC doesnt work (Shuttle fleet and default Atlantis).
2. For both Shuttles i have CTD at booster separation.
3. Seems MESHVIS_NEVER in SetMeshVisibilityMode() doesnt work at all.
4. There is an issue with animation for dynamically loaded meshes, here is the example:
Thorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #120
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 The maximum light count is currently 4 but there shouldn't be any problems to increase it to 12-24 lights. And I am talking about active light source, a scenario could contain alot more like 100-200 light sources but only 12-24 closest to the camera would actually emit light. Also should be noted that every lightsource will reduce the framerate a bit. Most of these light sources are using so called "per vertex lighting" where light intensity is computed for every vertex and is then interpoleted across the face. This works pretty well when used for a high resolution mesh like a vessel. But it won't work at all with a low resolution mesh like a runway. That would require "per pixel lighting" and there could be only about 2-4 light sources for that. Currently Orbiter's API doesn't allow to configure light sources like that.
If you could amp up the limit to 12 that should be sufficient for the SSU needs!

Quote:
 If you are talking about the clipping plane in the virtual cockpit view then I can make it configurable via D3D9Client.cfg and the Extra tab. However, the exterior view clipping plane is dynamically updated based on the camera position and direction.
Yes, I was talking about the clipping plane distance in the VC mode. I just want to eliminate the annoying clipping of the RMS grapple fixtures.

Also, BTW, have you found a solution to the VC polar singularity problem? The polar singularity problem is the twist of the camera that occurs when the camera goes near the 90 point in either direction.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient