Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Forum Space Station Project news & discussions for all OFSS versions.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #151
Cras
Spring of Life!

Your a-ha moment is one shared by myself as well. Once I found ISS 3.2 which has a CMG, and CMG 2.0 which I have subsequently attached to my own station in LEO, it makes docking by the numbers possible, and much easier workload I must say. I tend to use Attitude MFD pretty much the entire time in orbit, so just a few entries in the velocity mode, and my ship is nice an in line, and all I got to do is keep center needles and bring her in.

Another a-ha moment is the discovery of Rendezvous MFD. I was never to fond of Sync MFD myself, but when I found Rendezvous MFD, it gave me such capability, that I can meet up with a space station, or even something as small as a MTKSSAT! Great fun following the instruments then to finally get a glimpse of the object I have been tracking oh so many miles above the Earth.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #152
ADSWNJ
Scientist

A couple of visual aides ...

To visually show you the port numbers, use this:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/dockportshow-080705.zip

(Useful for figuring out the multi-port items like OFSS-Core).

Also basic, but worth knowing ... ExtMFD is your friend. Use it to bring up an MFD that can float over your external view. (E.g. I use Docking MFD in the ExtMFD, so I can get a good panned external view in F1 mode, but still keep things aligned.) One trick with this ... when you need to interact with the main window (e.g. to set the target for docking), then make sure "Focus follows mouse" is set in Parameters on the Orbiter launch dialog. Then you set up your ExtMFD, select the menu (popping up in the main window), move the mouse into the main window WITHOUT CLICKING, then interact with the menu (e.g. arrow keys / return). Basic, I know, but without this, the Ext MFD is fairly useless!

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

URMS ...

Brief info and tips in case you haven't "flown" this yet. You have to select it like you select a ship (e.g. F3). The arm has numerous joints that you can move manually. Highlighting closest object, and grappling closest object (or purge it to ungrapple) moves the arm automatically.

Note that the grapple is more game-mode than realistic. Meaning - you can grapple anywhere on the mesh of the object (e.g. end of a solar panel), and the arm is close to the mesh but not touching. (You need to check to see if you are grappled.)

The arm can fly through objects if you are not careful, especially when auto-grabbing or auto-stowing. No harm to the game, but irritating if you are a perfectionist .

On Flight #2 ... note that the Cupola is the dome shape (i.e. it's a viewing room), and the OFSS-Dock1 is the dock mating adapter (a slanting tube like a tumble dryer exhaust tube!).

An example use of the URMS ... Flight #4 step 3, undocking and grappling Soyuz. Swing your arm round to get really close to the Soyuz. Switch on target mode to make sure you are targeting the Soyuz. It'll be red, because you can't grapple it whilst it's still docked to the OFSS Core. F3/switch to Soyuz, then Ctrl-D to undock. Switch back to the URMS, and the Soyuz will now be green and moving back from the OFSS-Core. Quickly grapple it and you are good to go.

(Optionally, you can null out the undock motion first (fwd thrust on Soyuz), but I figure that you have pushed off from the OFSS, so grabbing it in motion should end up with a zero net momentum, versus nulling and then grabbing!).
ADSWNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #153
Tex
Webmaster

I'll be working on releasing the next flight package tomorrow.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #154
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
 Still waiting for jangofett to finish his mission.
I don't really want to get involved with this and it may have come late, but you might wanna assign more than one person for every mission. The first one that returns the scenario is considered the pilot for that mission.

If you're worried about one person quickly flying every mission, you could set caps on how many or how frequently every person flies missions.
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #155
Tex
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 I don't really want to get involved with this and it may have come late, but you might wanna assign more than one person for every mission. The first one that returns the scenario is considered the pilot for that mission.

If you're worried about one person quickly flying every mission, you could set caps on how many or how frequently every person flies missions.
I plan to announce a time limit from now on. 2 weeks should be ample time to complete the mission, perhaps even 1.
Thanked by:
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #156
ADSWNJ
Scientist

Flight 5 thoughts ...

Step 1 ... try to do a reference ascent per the XR Flight Ops Manual. I.e. take off, roll to the heading, 70 degree bank, level off at 24km, build up to Mach 4.5 then blast your SCRAMs right up to Mach 18+. I targeted 200km for the main engine cut-off, to keep some advantage on the OFSS (i.e. less orbit time, so I can catch it up), then circularized it at the Apogee to have a 200kmx200km orbit.

Step 2 ... Align Planes with the OFSS as usual, then Sync Orbits. I chose a Self-Apogee rendezvous to keep the burn as low as possible. Let it roll down to 3 or 4 orbits to go, then raise the Apogee (at the Perigee). Let it come back again to 1-2 to go, then zero out the DTmin at the Apogee point. For the final rendezvous, switch to the OFSS-Core and set prograde autopilot (ahem!!), then do a quick prograde on the XR-5 before taking her in manually for the dock.

Step 3 ... Another a-ha moment here. "Gently nudge the obital inclination to 51.60" means to set it to 51.60 degrees from the Equator. The default Align Planes and Orbit MFD is referenced to the Ecliptic (i.e. the sun-planet plane, not the Equator). Flipping FRM on Orbit MFD shows the difference in the Inc's ... i.e. we start at 51.65 EQU / 42.44 ECL, and we want to roll back 0.05 to 51.60 EQU / 42.39 ECL. Not strictly necessary, but I used Align Planes with a manual target (i.e. 42.39 and 181 or whatever the LAN was). To nudge it, I rolled Prograde and used the hover engine ever so gently on the DN. (Do Retrograde and Hover on the AN if you need it). Then I lifted the OFSS to 500.0x500.0 with 4 gentle forward thrusts. A couple of things here ... as you are docked, you have a big mass off the front of the ship, so you need to be careful not to over-power the engines. If you do, the RCS thrusters will not be able to keep alignment and you will end up in a spin!

Step 4, 5, 6 ... Eranda is the big cylinder module, QuestFin the airlock that looks like an engine, and Soyuz-Dock looks like a simple puck-like dock. Getting the pieces grappled is a case of moving the URMS into "green" range (highlight nearest object), then swinging it round to the right port. The tricky thing is to get the right rotation on the object prior to placement. I switched to the docking view of the component (e.g. into Eranda), whilst moving the URMS wrist to get the right alignment. Once I was within 5-10m, I ungrappled, switched to the XR-5 and used translation thrusters to move the ship to the piece. (Couldn't figure out how to manipulate the arm to do it without thrusters, but it all worked out in the end, so hey!)

Step 7 ... I used BaseSync and Aerobrake to get back to KSC. 43 degrees anticipation, 0.4 degrees reentry angle and 80KM reference alt. I struggled a bit with range, and had to dip the nose to around 35 degrees to keep enough energy, then used a bit of thrust at the end to roll out on KSC RWY 15. Great mission!

---------- Post added 01-03-12 at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-02-12 at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
 I plan to announce a time limit from now on. 2 weeks should be ample time to complete the mission, perhaps even 1.
If you need to build a reserve roster, then I'd be interested to be on standby for a mission.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #157
Tex
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 If you need to build a reserve roster, then I'd be interested to be on standby for a mission.
Thanks for letting me know. If I don't hear from the upcoming pilot in a reasonable amount of time, I'll ask you to replace them.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #158
ADSWNJ
Scientist

Just finished the simulator run for flight #14 (post-flight scenraio available if needed for the main flight). A couple of flight notes ...

1. You have a 25km difference PeA to ApA, so it's definitely worth synchronizing AgP before coming in to dock (so you have less drift to worry about on your final docking run). Nudge your mains or retros in prograde mode at TrA = 90 or 270 degrees (i.e. right angles to the Apo/Peri) to bring AgP round to match the ISS.

2. You need to use URMS3 to pick up the two modules, but it's not super-long. I found you have to do step 4 (RecMod attach) first, or the URMS3 fouls on the docked HabModule4 from step 3.

I still can't get the hang of completeing the final alignment of the modules onto the target docking ring just using the URMS. As a compromise, I get it as close as possible, and well aligned rotationally, then purge it from the arm and nudge the XR5 to finish the mating. (Does anyone have some hints how to do this better?)

Anyway - a simple flight and back home again in just over 3 days.
Thanked by:
Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #159
NovaSilisko
The Siliskoiest of Siliskos

(hopefully this is the right place to put this)

Once I get my Everest launch vehicle operational, I would like to launch two MPOD-Vs (MPOD-V2 Plato, and MPOD-V5 Aristotle) and a Station Core Module to make a part of the station. Would this be okay?

(I still need to learn how to rendezvous properly so it's not any time soon)
NovaSilisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #160
ADSWNJ
Scientist

What's the latest status on OFSS? Are we at a programmed hold on Flight #16?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #161
Tex
Webmaster

Sorry, mission control forgot about you guys up in orbit.

I just need to work up the next package release. I'll get it done tomorrow.
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #162
ky
Director of Manned Spaceflight

Looks like my mission will be coming up soon
ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #163
Tex
Webmaster

I've let this project go too long, I know...

It's very close to completion, so if anyone is interested in seeing it through, please contact me. Kyle, I don't know where you stand in life right now, but you did good work with the last one. PM if you're interested. I think there's only a few more flights left to complete.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station