Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Forum Space Station Project news & discussions for all OFSS versions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #16
ADSWNJ
Scientist
 
ADSWNJ's Avatar
Default

Let's all have a crack at flight 1 and see how hard it is (or otherwise!). I'm all for Castor's flight to be the primary, but I'll fly the simulator version of the mission on the ground as the alt crew! It's a shame we can't get a quorum, but hey, there's 5 pilots here that should be more then able to complete the whole mission sequence.
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #17
Castor
Orbinaut
 
Castor's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 Let's all have a crack at flight 1 and see how hard it is (or otherwise!). I'm all for Castor's flight to be the primary, but I'll fly the simulator version of the mission on the ground as the alt crew!
Thanks a lot! I will release the flight package for the first mission on May 21.


As for the others out there:

Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #18
serolrom
Orbinaut
Default

Hi there.
I felt that finger touching my heart...
I have been considering, but despite I am not new to Orbiter (I can dock the Atlantis to the ISS, maybe that qualifies for some flight as the 'easy level' is about basic orbit operations), I am new to the forums, the way things are done in OFSS, how to configure, etc.
I'll check the flight package for mission #1 and see if I can request some other mission afterwards.
Put that thing up there guys! Even if I don't feel prepared to participate, I'll be watching and willing to do something for this or for next OFSS.
serolrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #19
ADSWNJ
Scientist
 
ADSWNJ's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serolrom View Post
 Hi there.
I have been considering, but despite I am not new to Orbiter (I can dock the Atlantis to the ISS, maybe that qualifies for some flight as the 'easy level' is about basic orbit operations)
Hi Serolrom - you have docked a Shuttle to the ISS? You already have your full flying wings. You are more than welcome to fly along on this mission sequence.

Here's what I'm expecting ...

Let's set up an OFSS IV sub-forum with a series of threads for initial set-up (downloading packages / problems installing / etc), then one for each mission with problems / hints / tips / tutorials, then one for each mission success (screenshots, scenarios, etc).

I want to make this a great learning experience and a tour of the cool features of new ships and tools, so people who fly all the missions get to feel "I built that" on their own version of the space station, plus "I contributed to the core space station" as part of a mission too.

We're here to support each other as a flight academy class!
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #20
Pipcard
mikusingularity
 
Pipcard's Avatar

Default

I would fly mission 4 if non-spherical gravity sources (i.e. annoying fluctuating orbits) were always turned off. Or if I knew how to rendezvous with a station if they were turned on.

Because if one turns that parameter on, and another turns them off, the periapsis/apoapsis of the station wouldn't have continuity.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #21
ADSWNJ
Scientist
 
ADSWNJ's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 I would fly mission 4 if non-spherical gravity sources (i.e. annoying fluctuating orbits) were always turned off. Or if I knew how to rendezvous with a station if they were turned on.

Because if one turns that parameter on, and another turns them off, the periapsis/apoapsis of the station wouldn't have continuity.
That's a deal then. Leave them on and let's tune the approach to match the shape of the target orbit in each dimension, then do a high precision approach. I'll guide you in!

The interesting challenge is if the target is in free drift versus on an AP or killrotted. That's non-trivial to handle, depending on how fast the rotation is.
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 AM   #22
Pipcard
mikusingularity
 
Pipcard's Avatar

Default

Actually I'll fly mission 5.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #23
Castor
Orbinaut
 
Castor's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 Let's set up an OFSS IV sub-forum with a series of threads for initial set-up (downloading packages / problems installing / etc), then one for each mission with problems / hints / tips / tutorials, then one for each mission success (screenshots, scenarios, etc).
Actually, I have been thinking of the same thing; but I am not sure how to set up a sub-forum. Now, since we are posting in the OFSS III forum, I would not want to clutter it either. Should I contact an administrator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 I want to make this a great learning experience and a tour of the cool features of new ships and tools, so people who fly all the missions get to feel "I built that" on their own version of the space station, plus "I contributed to the core space station" as part of a mission too.

We're here to support each other as a flight academy class!
Great post !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 The interesting challenge is if the target is in free drift versus on an AP or killrotted.
During the course of the first three missions, the station will be in free drift. The primary aim of the XR2 mission is to deliver a CMG to the station, for precise attitude control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 Actually I'll fly mission 5.
Welcome aboard !

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

As for the mission package, I'm running a little behind on the documentation. Will try to get it up as soon as possible..
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #24
Athena
Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
 
Athena's Avatar
Default

Mind if I be the back-up pilot for #4?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #25
Castor
Orbinaut
 
Castor's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
 Mind if I be the back-up pilot for #4?
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #26
kamaz
Unicorn hunter
 
kamaz's Avatar
Default

I've never learned to land correctly, so I will offer my services for #1, #5, and there's a good chance I could be able to do #6 and #8 depending on the exact difficulty.

From the management POV, #1 looks like a very simple mission, so I'd suggest re-assigning that to a less experienced pilot.

Also, why does #8 list reentry if there is no landing?
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #27
Castor
Orbinaut
 
Castor's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaz View Post
 I've never learned to land correctly, so I will offer my services for #1, #5, and there's a good chance I could be able to do #6 and #8 depending on the exact difficulty.
kamaz, can I assign you to flight# 1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaz View Post
 Also, why does #8 list reentry if there is no landing?
Flt# 5 will be carrying the Tranzit space tug to orbit, which has to be deorbited by the pilot of Flt# 8. Since we can't have space junk falling here and there, the skill to perform a targeted deorbit burn is necessary.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #28
kamaz
Unicorn hunter
 
kamaz's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor View Post
 kamaz, can I assign you to flight# 1 ?
Sure.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor View Post
 Flt# 5 will be carrying the Tranzit space tug to orbit, which has to be deorbited by the pilot of Flt# 8. Since we can't have space junk falling here and there, the skill to perform a targeted deorbit burn is necessary.
If by "target" you mean "Indian Ocean", I know how to do that... :D
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #29
ADSWNJ
Scientist
 
ADSWNJ's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor View Post
 During the course of the first three missions, the station will be in free drift. The primary aim of the XR2 mission is to deliver a CMG to the station, for precise attitude control.
Nice It will be wrestled into submission, for sure!!
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #30
kamaz
Unicorn hunter
 
kamaz's Avatar
Default

From: K1SS Inc.
To: Flight Director
Subject: Detailed OFSS-IV-1 specifications

Dear Mr. Castor,

Thank you for selecting Kamaz-1 Space Systems, LLC (K1SS) for conducting the OFSS-IV-1 flight. Due to critical nature of the mission, our company will put all the needed effort so that the mission succeeds. For this reason, we would like to receive the following information so that the mission can be prepared appropriately:

1. Projected flight date and window [in real time]

2. Target orbit (PeA, ApA, Inc, LAN, etc.) and allowed deviations.

3. Who is responsible for the assembly of the launch vehicle and payload, i.e. will the OFSS-IV consortium deliver a pre-assembled vehicle to the launch pad, or is K1SS responsible for procurement and integration of the launch vehicle and payload? [i.e. who makes the launch scenario?]

4. Should the orbit circularization (periapsis raising) burn be performed using the payload's engines (if any), or using the upper stage engines. In case of the latter, please indicate whether the upper stage should be left attached to the payload or deorbited.

5. Please indicate requested vehicle state at handover [e.g. KILLROT enabled/disabled].

Best regards,
Kamaz
Managing Director
K1SS, LLC

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

I have done some test flights and I think something could be corrected.

Since the flights take place from WIN and CSSC I'm assuming we're going to target a roughly equatorial orbit. So if launch due east from CSSC, with a BM-220 as payload on:

- Themis-A HE0 (no SRBs), I can get to a 250km circular orbit and I have ~4.5 tons of propellant left after the upper stage deorbit burn
- Themis-A HE6 (6xSRB), I can get to 500km circular orbit and I have ~4.9 tons of propellant left after the upper stage deorbit burn

BM-220 weights 10 tons. This means that for reasonable orbital altitudes, the payload could be increased by up to 3 tons without problems. (I'd like to have some reserve propellant.)

The reason I'm pointing this out is that this could allow to include power supply + altitude control in the first flight, simplifying further operations (i.e. no need to dock to with a spinning station).

NB I cannot find the CMG module in my install for some reason, so I don't know how much it weights.

Last edited by kamaz; 05-21-2014 at 05:17 PM.
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.