Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Orbiter Forum Space Station Project news & discussions for all OFSS versions.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #46
Castor
Orbinaut

The OFSS III subforum has been renamed to OFSS, so that all discussions (with regard to OFSS) can continue to take place within this subforum.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #47
kamaz
Unicorn hunter

Pre-flight check failed:

Code:
>>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ERROR: Themis-A\Themis_5x8
>>> [Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 252]
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> TERMINATING <<<
...can I have your Config\Vessels\Themis-A\Themis_5x8.cfg ?
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #48
garyw
O-F Administrator

Can you not use the configuration tool to re-generate that config?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #49
kamaz
Unicorn hunter

(a) because 5x8 is fairing type, it tells me nothing about the number of SRBs and the upper stage type
(b) to let Castor know that the official mission kit should include this file

Also, I only got the error after I edited the .scn and switched BM201 to non-IMS version -- with the scenario as posted, Orbiter was simply crashing.

Of course I could have simply said that "Orbiter is crashing with nothing of interest in the log file", but that would not be helpful, would it...

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Um. Using Themis-A editor, I've made the missing file like that:

Code:
; === Configuration file for vessel class 'Themis-A' ===
ClassName = ThemisA
Module = Themis-A\Themis-A_Core
EditorModule=Themis-A\Themis-A_Core

;Fairing configuration
Fairing = 2

;Decides 2nd stage configuration
Upperstage = 2

;Boosters configuration
Boosters = 0

;Configures offset above ground
Offset = 0
...and Orbiter now crashes with an utterly unhelpful log file

Last edited by kamaz; 05-22-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #50
Castor
Orbinaut

I am extremely sorry. Copy the config file below and rename it as Themis_5x8.cfg.

Code:
; === Configuration file for vessel class 'Themis-A' ===
ClassName = ThemisA
Module = Themis-A\Themis-A_Core
EditorModule=Themis-A\Themis-A_Core

;Fairing configuration
Fairing = 2

;Decides 2nd stage configuration
Upperstage = 2

;Boosters configuration
Boosters = 6

;Configures offset above ground
Offset = 0

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Never mind, I have included a release with the required config files and scenarios. Just download that from the first post of this thread (no documentation yet).
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #51
Pipcard
mikusingularity

(apologies if you think I'm ripping off kamaz here. I want to do an in-character business letter, too)

Dear Mr. Castor,
As Hatsunia's commercial launch service provider, Hatsunespace is seeking to launch the Tranzit orbital tug with the M-II Heavy rocket for the OFSS IV program's fifth mission. The M-II Heavy has a maximum lift capacity of 32,700 kg to low Earth orbit, but it will be less for an 800 km orbit with 64 equatorial inclination. On its own, the Tranzit has a total mass of 33,000 kg at lift-off and a delta-v budget of about 4 km/s. Because of that, we are confident that it (with slightly less fuel) can be launched on the M-IIH from Negishima Space Center in order to rendezvous with the station.

Once the M-II's high-energy upper stage has delivered the Tranzit to an apoapsis of approximately 800 km, it will still have plenty of fuel left over to dock with the station and support its construction. On each of the sixth and eighth missions, the Tranzit can rendezvous with the modules carried by the Smerch or DM-2 tugs and ferry them, all at once, back to the station in order to save time and fuel.

However, we will have to develop a larger payload fairing (over 6 meters in diameter) in order to accommodate the vehicle.
Sincerely,

Satoshi Nasuda
Hatsunespace CEO

Last edited by Pipcard; 05-23-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #52
kamaz
Unicorn hunter

Um... it crashes again.

Some quick investigation shows that the crash is caused by IMS -- i.e. if I edit the scenario to replace BM210 with non-IMS version, then the scenario loads fine. I have reinstalled IMS RC9, but it did not help.

Would you mind uploading your entire Orbiter directory somewhere and PM'ing me the link? I would like to track down the reason.

...Worst case I'll cheat by flying the mission with a normal BM210

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 (apologies if you think I'm ripping off kamaz here. I want to do an in-character business letter, too)
Oh, it's sweet. I think we could have more of these
Thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #53
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Don't forget to post screenshots!
Thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #54
Castor
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaz View Post
 Would you mind uploading your entire Orbiter directory somewhere and PM'ing me the link? I would like to track down the reason.
In order to try and replicate your problem, I installed the addons one by one in a fresh Orbiter installation, but I didn't get a crash. Didn't install the XR2 and the XR5 though. My internet connection has been quite slow for the past few days, but anyway I am uploading that Orbiter installation to my dropbox and will PM you the link as soon as it is done.

Quote:
  On its own, the Tranzit has a total mass of 33,000 kg at lift-off and a delta-v budget of about 4 km/s. Because of that, we are confident that it (with slightly less fuel) can be launched on the M-IIH from Negishima Space Center in order to rendezvous with the station.

Once the M-II's high-energy upper stage has delivered the Tranzit to an apoapsis of approximately 800 km, it will still have plenty of fuel left over to dock with the station and support its construction. On each of the sixth and eighth missions, the Tranzit can rendezvous with the modules carried by the Smerch or DM-2 tugs and ferry them, all at once, back to the station in order to save time and fuel.
The Tranzit requires about 10% of its fuel just to deorbit. As dictated by safety rules, each tugging must be allotted at least 15% fuel and a reserve of 10%. Since we have two tugs, that makes it 50%. Adding the quantity required to deorbit, makes 60%. Finally, in case of some error in the initial rendezvous procedure, corrections may require 5%.

In short, the Tranzit must be fueled somewhere between 65% and 70%, which translates to a mass of 24900 kg to 26100 kg. Will that weight reduction be sufficient for M-II to deliver the Tranzit to within 50km of the station ?
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #55
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Dear Mr. Castor,
Hatsunespace has recently conducted launch trajectory analysis simulations and has determined that the M-II Heavy is able to launch the Tranzit with 75% of its maximum propellant load to an orbit with an inclination of 64, an apoapsis of 800 km, and a periapsis of 200 km. Our analysis takes into account the more massive fairing required to encapsulate the payload. The payload itself will have a mass of 27,300 kg at launch, and a delta-v of 3486 m/s. We have also found out that the delta-v required to change an 800x200 km orbit to an 800x800 km circular orbit is only about 167 m/s. This is about 4-5% of the total delta-v budget allotted.
Sincerely,

Satoshi Nasuda
Hatsunespace CEO

Last edited by Pipcard; 05-24-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #56
Castor
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Hatsunespace has recently conducted launch trajectory analysis simulations and has determined that the M-II Heavy is able to launch the Tranzit with 75% of its maximum propellant load to an orbit with an inclination of 64, an apoapsis of 800 km, and a periapsis of 200 km. Our analysis takes into account the more massive fairing required to encapsulate the payload. The payload itself will have a mass of 27,300 kg at launch, and a delta-v of 3486 m/s. We have also found out that the delta-v required to change an 800x200 km orbit to an 800x800 km circular orbit is only about 167 m/s. This is about 4-5% of the total delta-v budget allotted.
All proposals accepted.

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

Since OFSS can be not only a fun endeavor for those experienced in Orbiter, it could also be a teaching experience for the newbies. So, I'm going to propose that the documentation will not cover mission specific details, but instead they will be discussed here on the forum. So, I would like to know what the current pilots feel about this idea.
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2014, 03:58 AM   #57
mojoey
JapanAXA!

I think it'd be prudent to include a somewhat vague mission-by-mission guide, in case for whatever reason they can't find this thread. Sort of a: 'Take this bit off, and put this other bit where that bit was, then put the original bit on top of the new bit' thing.
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #58
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Did a practice run (with non-spherical gravity turned on), starting with a scenario with these conditions:
-the ISS (with CMG) in a 800 x 800 km orbit
-the Tranzit in a 800 x 200 km orbit, planes already aligned with the ISS

I managed to rendezvous and dock with the station using 206 m/s of delta-v.

Sync orbits with non-spherical gravity isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. All I needed were small corrections to the DTmin whenever I passed the intercept point.

Last edited by Pipcard; 05-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #59
Castor
Orbinaut

ADSWNJ, please confirm that you will be available for the second launch.

If any of the other enrolled pilots are interested in acting backup for this mission, please speak up.

Enrolled or otherwise, all pilots on this forum are free to take up mission 3.

Last edited by Castor; 05-24-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Irrelevant info
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #60
Castor
Orbinaut

Note: ADSWNJ, the second mission has been released. Download the package from the first page.

Date of launch of second mission: May 24 (Saturday)
Date of completion of mission: May 28 (Wednesday)

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Flight notes:

The station has been in free drift for about half a month. After rendezvous, use the Themis second stage to kill any rotation, following which the stage is to be deorbited remotely.

The XR5 may approach the station, but docking is not possible. Equipped with a single RMS (on a rail platform), it can grapple the station, if required. Study included example scenario to know which module goes where.

After primary mission is complete, the XR5 can remain in orbit for an additional 2 days, for earth observation reasons. Touchdown at Wideawake International.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station