|05-24-2014, 11:09 PM||#1|
OFSS IV Full Install Walkthrough
This is a walkthrough of setting up a clean installation specifically for OFSS IV.You may be wondering 'I have Orbiter running already, so I can just install what's missing, right?'. Wrong! Very often you will find that a particular install sequence of addons causes a conflict, which thenyou patch and cause some other problem, and so on. The idea of installing a clean OFSS IV directory is to make sure we can all run the same scenarios with confidence that they are going to work as Castor intended.
**NEW** If you want to try out a new simple installer, check out CSVInstall here:
Let's get started.
The general plan is we will create a download directory as a master repository ('repo') of all the files you need. We will pull everything down first, then install one by one. Some of the files will be in RAR format. If you have not come across this before, then go to http://7-zip.org/ now and download 7-Zip 9.20 (2010-11-18) for Windows in the format of your choice (e.g. 64-bit x64 if you are running a 64-bit Windows, else choose the 32-bit x86 version).
Go ahead and create a new directory for your OFSS repo. I'm using J:\OFSSIVDL, but you can call it whatever you like. Just make sure it's empty!
Download the following:
1. http://orbithangar.com/orbDownload.p...iter100830.zip The core Orbiter 2010 P1 distribution
2. http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/# D3D9 client. Just hit the purple download button
3. and 4. http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/in...?page=download Download both the OrbiterSound 4.0 and UCGO 3.0 + Ummu 3.0 - 2014 Edition
5. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=3177 Space Station Building Blocks 4.1B)
6. http://ge.tt/api/1/files/8QSoFhh1/0/blob?download Interplanetary Modular Spacecraft RC9
7. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6036 Themis-A Launch Vehicle 1.0
8. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6216 HCLV Hyperion
9. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6251 HCLV-4 Sidemount expansion
10. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=1292 Space Tugs
11. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=2857 Various Space Station Modules
12. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=5351 CMG v2.0
13. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=3373 Universal Remote Manipulator System, release 3
14. http://www.alteaaerospace.com/ccount/click.php?id=3 XR-2 Ravenstar 1.6a
15. http://www.alteaaerospace.com/ccount/click.php?id=2 XR-5 Vanguard 1.9a
16. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=5729 Carl Sagan Space Center (Banaba Island)
17. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=3666 Wideawake International
18. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=3388 Velcro Rockets v1.11
19. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6438 M-II + Negi-5 launch vehicles v0.2.1
20. http://orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=2139 AeroBrakeMFD
21. http://orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=3165 Attitude MFD V3.2
22. http://orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=2802 Launch MFD - v. 1.6.2 for Orbiter 2010
23. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6023 HUDDrawer SDK v.0.3
24. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6412 ModuleMessaging SDK v. 1.1
25. http://users.kymp.net/p501474a/Orbit...eSyncMFD23.zip BaseSyncMFD Version 2.0 - 16.06.2010
26. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6221 RV Orientation V3.01
27. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=5969 Glideslope 2.3
29. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=26999 Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redist
30. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30653 .Net Framework 4.5
31. http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6424 Negishima Space Center 0.1
32. http://kulch.spb.ru/cgi-bin/download...ForOrbiter.zipPayload Manager for Orbiter
36. http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=34020Current release of OFSS (at bottom of original post)
If you go to a command prompt and do a directory of your repo, the file list and sizes should look like this (note that the dates will be different):
Directory of J:\OFSSIVDL 07/05/2014 11:40 AM <DIR> . 07/05/2014 11:40 AM <DIR> .. 05/24/2014 05:04 PM 769,917 AeroBrake0.96.2.zip 05/24/2014 05:04 PM 173,584 AttitudeMFD_V3.2_20072912.zip 05/24/2014 05:05 PM 380,051 BaseSyncMFD23.zip 07/04/2014 11:34 AM 2,386,525 BurnTimeCalcMFD-v.2.7.zip 05/24/2014 10:43 AM 1,637,950 CMG v2.0.zip 05/24/2014 11:00 AM 7,615,109 cssc_v1_0_2.zip 05/24/2014 08:31 AM 1,093,177 D3D9ClientR12.zip 05/24/2014 09:08 AM 1,005,568 dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe 05/24/2014 05:05 PM 1,735,030 GS2_3_2013.12.01b.zip 05/24/2014 10:35 AM 228,257 HCLV-4-Sidemount.zip 05/24/2014 10:31 AM 4,491,475 HCLV_Hyperion_v1_02.zip 05/24/2014 05:04 PM 233,221 HUDDrawerSDK-v.0.3.zip 05/24/2014 08:52 AM 4,910,930 IMS RC9.rar 05/24/2014 05:04 PM 5,179,112 LaunchMFD-v.1.6.2-2010.zip 05/24/2014 05:04 PM 3,817,684 M-II_Negi-5.zip 05/24/2014 05:04 PM 224,017 ModuleMessagingSDK-v.1.1.zip 05/25/2014 08:47 AM 2,776,469 Negishima.zip 07/04/2014 11:02 AM 189,213 OFSS.zip 05/24/2014 08:18 AM 135,352,685 orbiter100830.zip 05/24/2014 08:36 AM 53,435,368 OrbiterSound40_20121120_setup.exe 05/24/2014 09:12 AM 3,128,161 PayloadManagerForOrbiter.zip 05/24/2014 05:05 PM 687,009 RV Orientation V3.01.zip 05/24/2014 08:42 AM 8,791,575 SBB41B.rar 07/05/2014 11:40 AM 16,389 ScreenCapture.zip 05/24/2014 10:37 AM 7,980,516 SpaceTugs_4.zip 05/24/2014 10:41 AM 5,272,951 SpacStationModules.zip 05/24/2014 09:00 AM 4,630,600 Themis-A_1_01.zip 07/05/2014 11:29 AM 1,046,046 Transx-2014.04.26-Auto-Center-fix.zip 05/24/2014 08:42 AM 202,194,042 UCGO30_2010_20140109.exe 05/24/2014 10:47 AM 2,559,264 UniversalRMS3.zip 05/24/2014 05:06 PM 8,990,552 vcredist_x86.EXE 05/24/2014 10:58 AM 14,080,870 Velcro Rockets.zip 05/24/2014 10:57 AM 5,502,843 Wideawake_International.zip 05/24/2014 10:51 AM 99,425,352 XR2Ravenstar-1.6a.zip 05/24/2014 11:07 AM 80,447,899 XR5Vanguard-1.9a.zip 35 File(s) 672,389,411 bytes
The next stage is the installation. We need to do these in strict order, so any overwrites are done consistently for your install. Create a new root directory ('OFSS IV root') for your OFSS IV installation. I'm going to use OFSSIV, but you can choose whatever name you prefer. We are going to do four types of install operations:
EXTRACT. This is simply extracting the contents of the zip file into the OFSS IV root. Just right-click the file, select extract all, and select your OFSS IV root directory and press Extract.
RAR-EXTRACT. We'll use 7-Zip as mentioned at the top (or swap for your extract tool). Right-click the file, Open With... 7-Zip File Manager, select Extract, select your OFSS IV root directory and press OK.
EXECUTE. Just double-click the exe.
ZIP-EXECUTE. Double-click the zip file to open it, then double click the exe file, then click RUN.
Let's now do the installation:
1. EXTRACT orbiter100830.zip
2. EXECUTE OrbiterSound40_20121120_setup.exe (follow the prompts, and don't do config setups for now).
3. EXTRACT D3D9ClientR12.zip
4. EXTRACT HUDDrawerSDK-v.0.3.zip
5. EXTRACT ModuleMessagingSDK-v.1.1.zip
6. EXTRACT cssc_v1_0_2.zip
7. EXTRACT Wideawake_International.zip
8. RAR-EXTRACT SBB41B.rar
9. RAR-EXTRACT IMS RC9.rar
10. EXTRACT Themis-A_1_01.zip
11. EXTRACT HCLV_Hyperion_v1_02.zip
12. EXTRACT HCLV-4-Sidemount.zip
13. ZIP-EXECUTE SpaceTugs_4.zip (select extract all, and skip replacing one duplicate file (readme.txt) - i.e. don't overwrite)
14. EXTRACT SpacStationModules.zip (skip replacing isspanel.dds)
15. EXTRACT CMG v2.0.zip
16. ZIP-EXECUTE UniversalRMS3.zip (select extract all, and skip replacing one duplicate file (readme.txt) - i.e. don't overwrite)
17. EXTRACT XR2Ravenstar-1.6a.zip
18. EXTRACT XR5Vanguard-1.9a.zip (replace the 4 files)
19. EXTRACT Velcro Rockets.zip (skip the two overwrites: issb.dds, ssmec.dds)
20. EXTRACT M-II_Negi-5.zip
21. EXECUTE UCGO30_2010_20140109.exe (it should not need to do any patching)
22. EXTRACT AeroBrake0.96.2.zip (skip the readme.txt conflict)
23. EXTRACT AttitudeMFD_V3.2_20072912.zip
24. EXTRACT LaunchMFD-v.1.6.2-2010.zip
25. EXTRACT BaseSyncMFD23.zip
26. EXTRACT RV Orientation V3.01.zip
27. EXTRACT GS2_3_2013.12.01b.zip
28. ZIP-EXECUTE PayloadManagerForOrbiter.zip
29. EXTRACT Negishima.zip
30. EXTRACT BurnTimeCalcMFD-v.2.7.zip <<< Newly added (July 5th)
31. EXTRACT Transx-2014.04.26-Auto-Center-fix.zip <<< Newly added (July 5th)
32. EXTRACT ScreenCapture.zip <<< Newly added (July 5th)
33. EXTRACT OFSS.ZIP
If you are running Orbiter on Windows 8 or 8.1,
Go to your OFSS IV root, and run Orbiter_NG.exe. (If you have an older PC unable to run DirectX 9, then just use Orbiter.exe instead. It'll work, but it will not be as fast or as pretty and using DirectX 9).
Select the Modules tab, and switch on the following:
D3D9 Client (Orbiter_NG.exe)
On the Parameters tab:
- Enable Complex flight model, Damage and failure simulation, and Limited fuel
- Enable Nonspherical gravity sources, Raditation pressure and Gravity-gradient torque
Instruments and panels:
- Set MFD refresh to 0.1 (or whatever low interval your hardware can take)
On Visual Effects
- Set ambient light level to 50. (A bit more light helps with seeing things at night!)
- Set the screen as you prefer - e.g. Full Screen at your native resolution
- (Orbiter_NG.exe only) go to Advanced and click Create symbolic links, Yes, OK, and OK.
- Set up if you have a joystick.
- Select XR5 Vanguard, Ready for Takeoff to ISS
If you end up in the XR-5, with sounds working, then congratulations, you have installed the platform. If you get any errors complaining about a missing MSVCRTxxx.DLL, (e.g. MSVCRT100.DLL), then execute vcredist_x86.EXE from your repo and try again.
If you get any random crashes that you can't shake out, then here's a tip from Metallica787:
Go to Orbiter.exe (or Orbiter_NG.exe), right mouse and select Troubleshoot Compatibility. Windows will figure out the appropriate compatibility settings to run the executable under (e.g. Windows Vista mode or Windows XP mode). Use its recommended settings.
If you follow this post carefully, then you should be all set. Feel free to ask any questions or point out any errors.
May 24th 2014 (updated June 22nd 2014, July 5th 2014)
Last edited by ADSWNJ; 07-05-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: July 5th - added BurnTimeCalcMFD, TransX ModulaeMessaging, and ScreenCapture
|05-24-2014, 11:35 PM||#2|
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
IMS RC 9 needs a special version of DX9
Just so everyone realizes this, IMS RC9 needs the DX9 version that was 'fixed' so that it will work. There should be a link to it on the IMS RC9 thread front page.
If you use the 'default' DX9 then Orbiter will CTD sooner or later if you are using IMS modules.
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
|05-25-2014, 12:31 AM||#3|
---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------
P.s. The link I included goes to this page: http://ge.tt/8QSoFhh1/v/0?c
Which seems like a very new and updated version of IMS RC9 9 (22nd May 2014), so we may well have a good solution already.
|05-25-2014, 10:15 AM||#4|
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
From what I understand it wasn't that big of a change, but it was critical for IMS.
HUMONGOUS IMS Shipbuilder ( And I ain't kidding!)
|05-25-2014, 10:22 AM||#6|
|05-25-2014, 11:41 AM||#7|
Ignore this post, you can now get the installer from OrbitHangar:
Castor & ADSWNJ, if you could please test this...
OFSS-IV Add-on Downloader
This utility will automatically download and install Orbiter and all add-ons required by the OFSS-IV project.
How do I use this?
Extract the attached zip and run OFSS-IV-downloader.exe. Grab a coffee and follow on-screen instructions.
The program will ask you for the installation directory. If you specify e.g. c:\ofss, it will create three directories:
c:\ofss\repo - this directory contains downloaded add-ons
c:\ofss\orbiter - this directory contains the Orbiter installation with all add-ons extracted
c:\ofss\tmp - temporary directory which will be removed after the program finishes
The program will download all add-ons into "repo" directory and then extract them into "orbiter" directory, (hopefully) in the right order.
Will add-ons be downloaded every time the program is run?
No. The script will look under the "repo" directory (see above) and download the files only if (a) the file is missing or (b) size of the file on disk and on server is different.
What if there is a download error?
Re-run the program. It will try to re-download incomplete file.
I have already downloaded add-ons.
You can put your files in the "repo" subdirectory, put you must rename them to the names program uses, not the file names on various servers. Please see the source code for information. A line like this:
means that a file downloaded from http://www.orbithangar.com/download.php?ID=6036 (i.e. Themis-A) should be named "Themis.zip".
Where is the source?
Look under "source" directory in the zip file. You will need Autoit (it's free).
Last edited by kamaz; 05-29-2014 at 07:29 PM.
|05-25-2014, 12:42 PM||#8|
A couple of comments ... you'll notice in my manual script, I ask people to ZIP-EXECUTE things versus ZUP unpack them. This is because the zip is a wrapped .exe, and the .exe needs to be executed and a few yes/no/ok buttons pressed. Can you do a second draft that can deal with this?
It would also be great if the input was a parameterized CSV file so non-coders can update it and reuse it. And is it possible to parallelize the downloads (especially for the bigger files), to get as much down as possible as fast as possible?
|05-25-2014, 12:54 PM||#9|
kamaz, from what I've seen so far, your program looks good. As of now, I'm stuck in my dormitory and the internet connection here is slow. Something that I wanted to add : Wouldn't it be more prudent to download the DGIV package for UMMU rather than UCGO ? It takes a lot more time to download.
@ADSWNJ, same question as above, is also addressed to you.
---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------
Anyway, great work guys.
|05-25-2014, 12:59 PM||#10|
Note ... Negishima now added to the download instructions per Castor, and for completeness, the PayloadManagerforOrbiter (to be sure, to be sure, as the Irish would say!)
---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------
Is there a way to pull UMMU by itself? I'm happy to switch to the DGIV package if not.
|05-25-2014, 01:14 PM||#12|
In the mean time, can you verify if the simulation environment gets set up correctly?
|05-25-2014, 01:47 PM||#13|
|05-25-2014, 02:03 PM||#14|
shoemaker without legs
Also note that there is not a different version of D3D9 client in the IMS thread. It's only a patch that replaces the RC12 dll, but the client has other files coming with it that are not included. So the correct steps are to first install D3D9 RC12, then the IMS compatibility patch (not the other way round, that won't work). As soon as there will be a new stable version of D3D9 client available, the patch won't be neccessary anymore, but unless you check out the current code and build it yourself the patch is still a must.
|05-25-2014, 03:07 PM||#15|
One quick feedback from someone here:
I got my system setup and running. This means I have just started the vanguard scenario with sound. Still everything else to check, but looks OK so far.
From a customer satisfaction point of view, I found this guide as an easy one that gets me in after just a while of downloading and decompressing. Not a big deal.
Now I have to say I migh have run onto some installation error: I got my system crashing after startup. I noticed that I missed the Themis module, so I downloaded and extracted it. Then another crash. The log told me someting about the vanguard, so I overwrote the vanguard and the thing was fixed.
I think that this is NOT an error in the guide, but obviously mine, having missed the Themis during the installation process.
Bottom line: still with that, an easy setup.
A big thank you!
|Quick Links||Need Help?|