Request Orbiter Space Shuttle Re-Entry

Eagle1Division

Reaction score
Interesting I saw this, I just came here to post a re-entry set of scenarios I made. :)

It just finished uploading, and I see there's an approval process, but until then, I'll just say a few things.

First off, I never, ever, do a reentry without GPC MFD that comes with Shuttle Fleet. OPS 3 is the way to do a reentry for me. I use the Map MFD and select KSC. That marks KSC on the surface HUD with a little bug, so I know if I'm on course or not.

To de-orbit, I usually try to get a 60 km or so perigee around California to land at KSC. Usually I end up re-entering too early, and I have to use lift to keep the descent rate near zero until I appear on the TRAJ 1 display on GPC MFD OPS 3, so it might be a good idea to aim for somewhere in the center of the US instead.
To aim your de-orbit, I use the Map MFD, and zoom out all the way. Whatever's at the edge of the MFD screen is on the exact opposite side of the planet. This is about where the perigee will be when you finish the de-orbit burn, assuming your orbit is mostly circular.

Garyw's advice to aim for the landing site itself should work fine.

But the trick is
A) Marking the landing site with MAP MFD so a little bug will show up on Surface MFD, so you know if you need to turn right or left.
B) Using GPC MFD OPS 3 to track your descent vs your downrange distance profile.
C) Using Surface MFD to track, well, everything else.

On the GPC MFD OPS 3 Screen, horizontal represents downrange distance to the selected landing site (Default is KSC). Vertical on the display represents energy, so that it takes into account both altitude and velocity.

Read up on the add-on docs for GPC MFD OPS 3 Re-entry display, there's some more information there.

But I'll also say the single most important thing is your vertical speed. If you're below trajectory as given by OPS 3, then lessen your vertical speed (drop faster). If you're above trajectory, increase your vertical speed (drop slower, hold altitude, or even climb). Airbrakes also work to change your "descent" rate on the display by slowing you down, but to a much lesser degree.

Hope this helps. I'll post the a link to the Add-on when it finishes processing :) .

(Now I wish I'd included this in the readme. It doesn't come with a very good readme :shifty: )

Last edited:

railfanatic844

Reaction score
ok that's pretty good info, but what about the S turns? what altitude should i do the first and the second S turn?

-AJ

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Glideslope MFD works very well too. The auto-steering is very useful, keeps a 40 AoA most of the time and makes doing the S-turns much easier by dampining the movments. Has a deorbit burn calculator that gets you well on your way, and has a few other tools that help decide when to do the S-turns, mainly when you start to see your altitude getting to high and you need to kill the lift and stay on course. Also helps with keeping the S-turns balanced so you can stay lined up with the base you are aiming for.

railfanatic844

Reaction score
but i thought that only worked in 06? it makes 2010 P1 crash when i use it :(

-AJ

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes, I should have mentioned that. The link IronRain posted has the fix, and it is quite simple to do. Once you do that, it will work just fine, no issues in Orbiter 2010 P1.

Not quite as useful as AutoFCS which I hear a 2010 P1 version is in the works. I very much look forward to that.