Proposal for an OMP space station project

Reaction score
I have seen two or three threads about building a community space station, but the method of swapping scenario files, while effective, is, to me, a little lonely.

I propose that we start a project in which two or more people fly missions together in order to construct a space station in LEO. This station would be for habitation and refueling, in addition to other fictional purposes, such as experimentation in zero-G, and the like.

If this project works out, perhaps using that station as a platform for launching a lunar base project may be a logical next step, but that is a decision that can be made if and when the bridge is crossed.

As far as hardware goes, I have a Poweredge 1800 server that I have no other purpose for as this point. I would be more than willing to set it up and run it as the host for this project. The server is a dual-core, dual processor (both 3.2GHz Xeons) with 3GB ram and PLENTLY of fast disk space. It is also pertinent to mention that I am on a cable connection with a 2Mbps upstream, and i have yet to test my speed where it fell below 1.5. If this is insufficient, so be it, but from what I have read, this should be more than enough to support this project. (I do IT for a living, and am a little bit of a computer freak).

If there is interest in this type of project, I might need some help with the setup and the like, but I see no real reason why this cannot be a feasable project.

Please, anyone should feel free to speak up with any suggestions or any criticisms of this project, as, if it is to go forward, I would like it to do so with as few problems as possible.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If there is interest in this type of project, I might need some help with the setup and the like, but I see no real reason why this cannot be a feasable project.

Hm. Did you try OMP already? I guess not, because building a space station as a community project would at least need stable docking, which OMP currently lacks. In addition, persistence would be needed (vessel stay online after client disconnected), which OMP currently lacks, too.

I would count that as real reasons why it is not feasable ATM.

regards,
Face

Reaction score
Hm. Did you try OMP already? I guess not, because building a space station as a community project would at least need stable docking, which OMP currently lacks. In addition, persistence would be needed (vessel stay online after client disconnected), which OMP currently lacks, too.

I would count that as real reasons why it is not feasable ATM.

regards,
Face

I see. I never came across those as problems from what I have read. That would pretty much kill any hope of my project for now.

Thanks for letting me know. Ill continue to wait for the day that this is possible.