Question Radiation with Starship

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I recently taught that the Starship will use two stainless steel layers instead of carbon fiber. I know that the Universe is a nightmare (means outgasing, radiation etc.). So can Starship deal with the radiations in deep space missions?
Cheers,
Soumya

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I recently taught that the Starship will use two stainless steel layers instead of carbon fiber. I know that the Universe is a nightmare (means outgasing, radiation etc.). So can Starship deal with radiations in deep space missions?

I thought I already replied to this.

First of all, the stainless steel is used for the tank structures and the primary heatshield. There is nothing said about the crew cabin.

Second, it doesn't really matter. The relevant radiation would neither be affected much differently by steel, carbon fiber or aluminum.

Next, there is the paradox of proton radiation: If you would use a massive lead shield to stop this kind of radiation, you would actually increase the radiation exposure inside the spacecraft to deadly levels, while it would be less dangerous without.

With the shield, the protons would be rapidly slowed down or deflected, with the energy of the protons being turned into Bremsstrahlung, a kind of X-Ray radiation, that interacts well with human tissue, as you know.

Without, the protons would only show little interaction with the human tissue - most would simply pass through your body without even hitting an atom.

For CME events, the best protection so far, aside of a HUGE magnetic field, is using a thick layer of water as protection. This could be done inside the spacecraft by having a radiation shelter zone inside the water tanks that you need for the crew anyway.

But getting radiation down to harmless levels is pretty much impossible in any case.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
One solar flare at the wrong time and it will be the largest "radiation accident" ever... :uhh: