Real Time Solar System Tour

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
This is a spin-off from the Firefly Squadron Operations discussion on 3 February 2011.

V0.11 uploaded with linear RCS as close-maneuvering drives. Do not use main engines for delicate maneuvers like planetfall and docking.

It was proposed to retrofit the "Arrow 18" class interplanetary freighter with Firefly-type fusion drives to allow for interplanetary flights with a duration of 1-4 hours, as opposed to days or weeks.

The larger size of the "Arrow 18" will directly counter the Firefly-J class "Jumbo" transport's short range and limited fuel.

The "Arrow X" may be regarded as the Earth Federation's first FTL capital vessel, with a delta V beyond lightspeed. (However, gigametres/sec velocities are never achieved unless the vessel is deployed as an unmanned interstellar "UltraProbe".) Fitted with advanced contragravity equipment, the "Arrow X" may also fly in direct support of planetfall operations.

---
FOR OMP USE ONLY
---

Arrow X Interplanetary freighter package.
Warning: Backup your default Arrow freighter configuration and the checklist files.
To make this package foolproof, the backups are duplicated within this package.

This package contains:
Arrow freighter replacement cfg for Earth hover and "real time" interplanetary main engine capability. You can execute a direct flight from Earth to Jupiter in 4 hours. However this leaves you with only two hours of reserve fuel for the slower trip home.

There is also a custom checklist for the right-hand side bridge MFD containing a very simple procedure for an interplanetary direct transit, with some minor backstory.

Addons required:
UCGO + UMMU 2.0
Latest OMP Package

Attachments

• orbiter 2011-02-03 19-44-23-22.jpg
    orbiter 2011-02-03 19-44-23-22.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
What is the acceleration for that thing? Will it kill me the instant I engage the engines? ;)

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
What is the acceleration for that thing? Will it kill me the instant I engage the engines? ;)

Last time I checked my calculations it was like 1187Gs. Seriously, we need that for real time interplanetary without spending days/weeks in front of computer. Even Star Trek ships are too slow!

Just imagine you have Stargate style inertial dampers and you'd be fine :D

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
What about renaming the vessel configs and other things to allow for it to work.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Carmen A said:
Last time I checked my calculations it was like 1187Gs.
1187 Gs?:jawdrops::suicide::beathead::speakcool: :hailprobe:

On a more serious note, though, can't you make a LOT of DeltaV but keep the acceleration to normal? I assume it will take quite a lot of time even to finish the burn, but at least you don't get squashed. Also, I'm not sure whether it would work with multiplayer, but [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4331"]this add-on[/ame] is quite useful.

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Would you like an Arrow X skin? I skinned the Arrow at one point for OFMM. ;)
attachment.php

I believe I'm the only person to ever do so, as the awkward UV maps make it a pain. :p

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Prometheus! My favourite Stargate SG-1 ship.

We sure can use that skin but maybe with some OMP custom livery. I'll take a look at the Arrow's texture later see if I can do a simple recolouring, ad placement, etc.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Ok. So how much power do i need to get off the ground in this thing?

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Prometheus! My favourite Stargate SG-1 ship.

We sure can use that skin but maybe with some OMP custom livery. I'll take a look at the Arrow's texture later see if I can do a simple recolouring, ad placement, etc.
No, I mean I'll do it for you! :p
I already have the PSD file and I know my way around it. Trust me, the Arrow UV maps make no sense in terms of placement, especially when you can't even see where they go... >w>

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Oh I'm sure it'll be fine - the bus needed a lot of trial and error to get things where they should be, too!

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Version 0.11

Increased power to RCS thrusters to allow their function as auxiliary drives for precision hovering and landing planetside. The main drives are way too sensitive for low velocity ops.

Attachments

• OMP - Arrow X Interplanetary 0.11.zip
    9 KB · Views: 579

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
No, I mean I'll do it for you! :p
I already have the PSD file and I know my way around it. Trust me, the Arrow UV maps make no sense in terms of placement, especially when you can't even see where they go... >w>

Hi,

Feel free to go ahead with the Arrow X custom skin for us, we'll appreciate any help we can get.

I don't have any suggestions right now except for...

I'd like it to look like a US Air Force C17 or Stargate SG-1 X-303 starship which means grey and black wordings. Feel free to put on USAF livery i.e., "UNITED STATES AIR FORCE" on the side hull, no fancy colours for now :)

Why this approach? It's hopefully, a simple recolour project, and secondly, the performance of this ship reminds me of the SG1 Prometheus.

(Your PM is full so..)

Wally

Reaction score
Just imagine you have Stargate style inertial dampers and you'd be fine :D

What's wrong with the Federation's inertial dampers? Just reverse the polarity on the verteron cascade generator, isolate the slower graviton in a tachyonic flux and they will withstand up to 5.34 kG, according to my computations.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Last time I checked my calculations it was like 1187Gs. Seriously, we need that for real time interplanetary without spending days/weeks in front of computer. Even Star Trek ships are too slow!

Why not just use Warp MFD in this case?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I made 17% of LightSpeed on OMP tonight, I shall try for the barrier tomorrow.

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
To do - rename cfg file so we have alternative propulsion system for less intensive ops

I made 17% of LightSpeed on OMP tonight, I shall try for the barrier tomorrow.

Jolly good show chap! You sure got the right stuff :3

--

As requested the Arrow X no longer overwrites the one with the standard propulsion. Hover thrust has increased slightly, to allow horizontal takeoff and hovering with a docked XR2.

0.12 is enclosed.

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
gah, takes soo long to reach speeds, made 60,000,000m/s out of 300,000,000m/s tonight (20% lightspeed). Having 2 vessles really far apart mucks up OMP's code for deciding whether or not to draw/render/show/simulate other users ships. might try adding a few more noughts onto the thrust value...

BTW, anyone know why my sig pic has disappeared?

--edit--21:15--
added 2 zeros to the trust in the config, and made lightspeed rather sharpish. however, at around 3.666C, orbiter crashed.

Last edited:

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
These engines are so powerful, that i made a new crater in the moon :facepalm:. My mistake. On the TS, people got angry :rofl: