Question Spacecraft3.dll and meshes not showing (bug?)

PoiterToi

Reaction score
So after a pause of about 9 years, I decided to give Orbiter another go. I wanted to use the XR5 and the Dragonfly (even though it's buggy) and the SSBB4.1 set, but I kept having problems with Spacecraft3 and meshes not showing up (I have Spacecraft4 installed). I kept seeing the same thing in the Orbiter.log:

Code:
Mesh not found: .\Meshes\.msh

When I pointed to the "wrong" module in the vessel .ini file (Module = Spacecraft\Spacecraft3 instead of just Spacecraft3) the mesh would show up, but of course, this was because Spacecraft was not found, thus not used, and therefore no animations could be triggered. I also tested it with the Hercule, one of my favorite vessels from Papyref: Hercule. Same problem, would not show up.

So I went to these forums, and found several threads over the years describing this exact issue, with different solutions each time. None of these solutions worked for me, and I could not get the .ini and the .cfg files to work together to get a mesh properly shown with animations working.

It was then, that I found a curious line in the spacecraft_dbg.txt logfile:

Code:
vinka's spacecraft.dll version Nov  6 2015
InitModule
Constructor
SetClassCaps
H:\Orbiter\modules\server\orbiter.exe
H:\Orbiter\modules\server\Config\Spacecraft\BD101.ini

And then it hit me: Is Spacecraft3 looking in the wrong place?! So I took my entire .\Orbiter\Config\Spacecraft\ folder, and copied it to .\Orbiter\modules\server\Config\Spacecraft, loaded up my test scenario, and lo-and-behold, everything showed up. A whole Space Station worth of building blocks lay around my XR5, waiting to be hauled off into space. Tested the animations of the building blocks, and these are working fine too. Everything fixed.

So is this a bug? Or is there something misconfigured somewhere in my files? Because in all the other Forum threads, I have never seen this come up. And I don't know where I would configure Spacecraft3 (or 4) to look for the .cfg files. Perhaps I'm just overlooking something obvious, but I'm not seeing it.. 😁 Any opinions on this?

Marg

Reaction score
i just thought about the future of this addon (spacecraft3) in new Orbiter, it was very useful... even with all this advanced SSV stuff, I often put in spacecraft.cfg vessels.

PoiterToi

Reaction score
Look up "Create symbolic links" in the D3D9 options.
Sorry for the late reply, couldn't find the time to try it.
But that did the trick! My Process Monitor now shows a LOT more happening at startup, which is good. And all animations are working properly. Thanks for the tip!