Question 100% Space Shuttle Built and Tended Space Station

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever released an addon where you can build a space station piece by piece using the American Space Shuttle. Segments that can be fit inside the payload bay and can be grappled with the Canada Arm and have APAS 89/95 docking ports, sort of like what was planned with Space Station Freedom?

Would Space Station Building Blocks by gregburch be the way to go or would you suggest something else?

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi there,

Well, it's not all done via the space shuttle, but Thorton's ISSv3.2 is a perfect framework for building the real life International Space Station.

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6365

There are lots of parts and lots of stuff to connect the RMS arm too. In a single phrase, ISSv3.2 is "THE Package" for a NASA enthusiast. If you wish only to use the space shuttle, you can disregard the Russian Space Program scenarios, but you lose the continuity.

==

For a custom space station like you're planning, Gregburch's addons are a perfect way to start, but some of the vessels are massive for the space shuttle. It is best, if you want to make a more realistic, space shuttle compatible space station, you will get best results by mixing and matching parts from multiple addons. Try the French and Italian forums if you want some amazing space station parts.

Have a nice day,

Jamie

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I must be invisible. :facepalm:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...Or if you REALLY want to get down to business with space shuttle space station work, check out Donamy's ISS A to Z!

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5633"]US ISS A to Z v.3[/ame]

It features an extensive library of ISS parts that can be used for creating the ISS or designing your own model from the parts. Additionally to this, Donamy has a huge library of vessels that he has created including his own canadarm addon: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6610"]Canadarm2v3.1[/ame]

You should check this guy out, he is a modelling god!

P.S. Sorry Donamy!! I saw "Space Station" and Thorton came to mind before anything else

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's also the best ISS tracker there is IMHO. :embarrassed:

Attachments

• ISS_real_Orbiter.jpg
    ISS_real_Orbiter.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 67

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I still would like to see a modular space station Freedom add-on one day....

Or one of these concepts...

9801789.jpg

Last edited:

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
I use [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2857"]Various Space Station Modules[/ame]

and some module from the Francophone commnity.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I'm running off of a 6 year old laptop so Thorton's ISS severely bogs down my CPU. I have incorporated pieces of it in the Skylab B missions that I'm flying. I do have Thorton's Mir and I've created scenarios so that I can launch the segments using Thorton's latest version of the Proton Launch Vehicle. I've not checked out Donamy's ISS but I imagine that it would be just as hard on my computer.

One thing that I was interested in is modules that I can grapple. I don't want to have to chase down each module after launching it from my payload bay. I have Usonian's Skylab1973 v2.1 and Skylab1980 but for whatever reason I can't grapple the Atmospheric Pallet and the Logistics Module, even though they do have grapple points and you're supposed to be able to grab them with the Canada Arm.

Last edited: