2 seat simpit plans/Questions

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
So I'm planning to make a 2 seat simpit, mostly for DG-IV and Shuttle Flights. I would like to build a Keypad and have a small monitor for the DG-IV. I'd like to have 2 mfd displays and 1 window monitor at each seat, and have most of the switches. What would be a rough estimate of the cost? Thanks!

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So I'm planning to make a 2 seat simpit, mostly for DG-IV and Shuttle Flights. I would like to build a Keypad and have a small monitor for the DG-IV. I'd like to have 2 mfd displays and 1 window monitor at each seat, and have most of the switches. What would be a rough estimate of the cost? Thanks!
Anywhere from $10 to $everal thou$and.

Seriously, that's not a question someone else can answer. It depends on your ability to scrounge for monitors, computers, graphics cards, switches, wire, the ability to bash keyboards and/or joysticks or build your own encoders. What level of finish do you want? How much room? Etc., etc. You can look at the flight deck/simpit section on Orbiterwiki for some ideas, as well as this forum. There are a wide variety of examples.

The key for me was to come up with a plan and make a list of all the components I would need. Then determine the priority of each part and look for ways to accomplish it. That leads you to your budget. I began planning mine the day I found out Orbiter had an API. Two and a half years later I'm more than halfway finished and outside of computer equipment and tools I think I've spent about $500. Met some great people, learned new things and had a fun two years.

Good luck with yours! :cheers:

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Alright, thanks. I'm currently making a list of switches I'd want. Could orbiter 2010 run on a Windows 95 computer properly if I use the comp for that sole purpose? I think I might need to modify it a little.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Alright, thanks. I'm currently making a list of switches I'd want. Could orbiter 2010 run on a Windows 95 computer properly if I use the comp for that sole purpose? I think I might need to modify it a little.
Don't know about Win95 precisely, but since you're looking to drive multiple monitors you'll need a good dual head graphics card and something to keep up with it. Some of us have found driving that second monitor sucks the life out of the Orbiter framerate.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could orbiter 2010 run on a Windows 95 computer properly if I use the comp for that sole purpose? I think I might need to modify it a little.
What computer specs are you talking about?

A computer actually from the Win95 era wouldn't do too well with the current version of Orbiter.

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
I'm using a computer I built in 2002 to run my simpit. But I have Windows XP on it, and I upgraded the graphics card to handle the TH2G resolutions.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
2002 is hardly "Windows 95"-era. Windows XP was released in 2001, and if your computer was built in the three~four years before that it'd fall into Windows 98 era spec.

The year of production doesn't say as much as you might think about your hardware's capacity. Specific system specifications are required to do that.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Alirght, I've got a bit of change in plans, due to money, space, and simplicity, I need to switch to a one seater. I have been making a list of controls I will need, which currently consists of:
-Throttle Trident
-RCS Mode Knob
-Autopilot Buttons
-Joystick
-Regular PC Keyboard
-Gear Controls (Arm, raise/lower)
-Ejection Controls
-Mouse
-Cargo Bay Doors (shuttle)/Nose Cone (DG)
-Undock buttons
-HUD mode knob

The list isn't finished yet.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Recently, I have made even more changes in my plan, instead of a generic shuttle/DG simpit, my vision has shifted to an attempt to recreate the shuttle flight deck. I'm unable to decide whether I should use orbiter or S3. What I plan to do is start with a very basic panel which I could modify and add on to, eventually creating a replica of the actual flight deck. Where is a good place so start with this? I'm also unsure whether I should use monitors or a projector for the window. Would I be able to use a keypad to work with the shuttle fleet's GPC mfd?

Last edited:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Orbiter_cockpits is a good starting point for construction info. There's a link to toddwess' Atlantis cockpit that may be interesting. Using projectors is a function of space and cost, so determine if you have the space, first.

I went with a design of a 2-seat flight deck, but only built one side and the center. I suggest the Main Instrument Panel (MIP) first, and the center and side structures. You can use blank panels at first (make them removable) and add switches as you need functionality. This structure will let you start with a secondary monitor for MFDs, and a place for your throttle and joystick.

These things are bigger than you might think, so I encourage you to do a mockup first, as it suggests in the wiki.

HTH

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Okay, now that I think about it, I have absolutely no idea what to do. I have very little experience with programming and such, and my budget is limited. I feel inclined to either do Soyuz, Shuttle, or Apollo. I really think Soyuz would be easiest, but unless there is some sort of panel interface, I guess I'd have to make one. What is a good place to start with making pits in general?

Aside from that, I'm gonna go study photos of the soyuz panels. Better learn the Cyrillic alphabet :facepalm: