News 2020 UEFA Euro Cup

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I have learnt in a newspaper that the 2020 UEFA Euro Cup begins, with the Euro score being the following (as of 14 June 2021):

Wales (UK) : Switzerland = 1 : 1
Turkey : Italy = 0 : 3
England : Croatia = 1 : 0

I am mostly unaware of this football match in Europe and decided to make a dedicated thread for it.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have learnt in a newspaper that the 2020 UEFA Euro Cup begins, with the Euro score being the following (as of 13 June 2021):

Wales (UK) : Switzerland = 1 : 1
Turkey : Italy = 0 : 3

I am mostly unaware of this football match in Europe and decided to make a dedicated thread for it.

I don't have much time for watching many other the other matches, so I will focus on Germany in the group stage... but I don't know many of the players of the current squad.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I was fond of hockey, I even have two front teeth that are not real

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Good day for central Europe :

Poland-Slovakia = 1:2
Scotland-Czech = 0:2
Austria-North.Macedonia = 3:1
Spain-Sweden = 0:0

Tomorrow, France-Germany :cheers:

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was fond of hockey, I even have two front teeth that are not real

I was in Canada and a lot of guys were like that too. Canada vs. SSSR/Russia is a classic final of Winter Olympic Games. That makes sense. Winter sports for winter people ? Seriously, good luck playing soccer in those countries in winter. Only possible with indoor fields of synthetic grass, not the best training you can get.

This evening I'm sure pizza (maybe bretzel ?) and beer delivery will work very well in France and Germany. ?????

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So France vs. Germany, teams are playing in Munich, Bavaria, home of the famous Bayern München team.

FR 1 : DE 0

20' : First goal for France, actually a German player (Mats Hummels) under french pressure hit the ball, so it counts as own goal for (well, against) Germany.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Today Russia won against Finland, 1:0.

Now Finland isn't exactly a soccer country either ? Again more a fearful opponent in Winter Olympic Games. ❄️

I'd say Portugal has definitively potential this year.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
Finland is a powerful adversary in hockey games (mainly hockey is built in six countries Canada, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic, Sweden and the USA)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
France vs. Hungary = 1 : 1

A disappointing result for France, way too many missed goal opportunities.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
UEFA is now investigating against the German team, because our team captain, Manuel Neuer, was wearing a rainbow armband during the match against Portugal. They are concerned that this could be a forbidden political symbol (well, in many countries of their corrupt sponsors, it is).

So, looks like the match against Hungary will really escalate, after the Munich city council decided unanimously to let the arena shine in rainbow colors that day. ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Politically correct football... :rolleyes:

Just very bad timing.

First of June is the beginning of the world-wide Pride Month, in about one month is also the huge Christopher Street Day parade in Berlin. Its not all about football here...

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
on the other hand, it sets a precedent for the use of political symbols in sports competitions
for example, a phrase written on the uniform of the Ukrainian national team, in the 40s the phrase you heard means to you that you are going to a Nazi concentration camp where you will be given striped pajamas

Last edited:

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The rainbow flag is more a symbol of an open-hearted society than a political one. Even if some politicans spit poison and bile when they see it

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
for example, a phrase written on the uniform of the Ukrainian national team, in the 40s the phrase you heard means to you that you are going to a Nazi concentration camp where you will be given striped pajamas

I believe the message of this post is lost in translation.

The slogan you mean is "Glory to the heroes", which is a military salute and which got replaced by "Glory to Ukraine", which is at least less martial.

Honestly, you got into a Nazi concentration camp in that period for far less than saying this - including saying nothing. But the usual approach to east-european natives was simply shooting them, if they are too rebellious for simply letting them starve or freeze to death.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
This is way of topic, but let me add that being familiar with the language is important on these maters.

I only understood the cruelty of Nazi persecution when I saw the French version of their books, posters, signs, etc. (displayed on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Museum_(Paris) )
This is because I can read French but not German. For some reason reading all that touched me.
When you are able to read something directly your understanding is much greater.