News 2021 fungal epidemic

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Fungal infections are found in COVID-19 (Indian variant) patients since May 2020, most of them are black fungus or mucormycosis. White and yellow fungi infection cases are also found in India. I don't know whether the fungal epidemic, combined with the COVID-19 pandemic, will depopulate India in some way. I fear that this thread won't have much comment due to its narrow scope, but I find this topic important. Therefore, feel free to comment about mucormycosis in general as well.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think its one of the more annoying epidemics, since it is fully avoidable. From what I have heard here, the cause is, that because of the lack of better alternatives, Indian doctors tried fighting COVID with higher doses of Cortison, which now causes the mucormysosis.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like that contaminated mold, got into the ventilators, and that is why we are seeing this.

stew

Reaction score
BBC have an article on a link with diabetes.

Diabetes was always present in India ... the cause of the new mucormucosis must be something else: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/20/world/asia/india-covid-black-fungus.html
A group in India reports on a promising treatment: https://precisionnanomedicine.com/a...oaded-nanoparticles-for-mucormycosis-covid-19

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know whether the fungal epidemic, combined with the COVID-19 pandemic, will depopulate India in some way

For your own good, stop making such statements. India high fertility rate will easily overcome this. In the worst case demographic growth will be slighlty lower. There are a lot of cases and a lot of deaths in the first place because the population is HUGE, and everything is proportional. More than 1 billion inhabitants ! But certainly nothing catastrophic will happen. India is absolutely not going to be "depopulated" in any way. Not only humans are in general very resilient as a species, but this is even more true in countries that have to deal everyday with a limited healthcare system, mass poverty, etc... Also indian population is very very young if you compare it to Europe. Young people are less affected. Now, obviously, people with obesity, diabete, any kind of serious chronic illness (asthma is common in huge polluted cities such as Mumbai or Dehli) or simply great age should be extremely careful. This is obviously serious and above all people should be careful, wear masks (not easy in hot climate I know, I lived that in Morocco last year, but there's no choice, period) and wash hands often, but you're a long way from the end of the world.