3DRocket Challenge

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In brief: They search for the best design for an open-source nanosat rocket engine, that can be printed by Shapeways or anybody else with a suitable 3D printer capable of printing stainless steel.

http://www.openspaceuniversity.org/#!rocketchallenge/c22xk

The price is awarded with $5000...not that big, but enough for the task. also there are two bonus prices for student designs and collaborative designs. The rules exclude non-US designers it seems.

The rules are also a bit strange, since they speak of carrying a nanosat of a set mass (0.5 - 10 kg) into space. I would say they mean the rocket engine should reach a comparable thrust.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yoou design it, I'll model it. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yoou design it, I'll model it. :lol:

Sorry, but my Hephaistos 3 design* is too large for Nanosats - and unprintable - at least in 3D. :lol:

* The Hephaistos engine family is a small educational project of me for learning more about rocket engine design and simulation.

Started out of the need for finding a proper engine for the Star Streak reusable sounding rocket design and is currently at the third generation with a kerosene/LOX FFSC engine and >450 kN thrust.