A clear day at the Cape?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0155.jpg

When flying into Cape Canaveral I sometimes encounter a dense cloud cover, which makes it difficult to find the runway from a distance.
When using other time settings, the clouds have moved away.

Is there a way to see upfront, where the clouds are?

I assume the cloud map slowly rotates over the Earths surface. I am doing a trial and error method to find suitable landing dates, but maybe there is a better way to predict the weather :unsure:

Don't get me wrong, I like to watch the clouds from orbit! They add much liveliness to the view.
I just would like to avoid them when coming in with a fast flying brick. :)

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It would be nice to have some game options for the manual configuratoins of clouds in the future.

Sometimes there are no clouds at all over the ocean, only the blue surface, and you want to add them...

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
MFS2004 had a setting that it would get current weather conditions in real time, I disremember what site, it was pretty good generally speaking. But, it didn’t model a hurricane. I flew to one and it just modeled a thunderstorm.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
MFS2004 had a setting that it would get current weather conditions in real time
I think, the modern MS Flight Simulator has this feature too. It is a nice challenge for flight simulation.
But I think, that would not be required for Orbiter. Weather affects space flight only during launch and landing. These are short durations, compared to a whole mission.

Made a scenario for a Meto DG in geostationary orbit over South America.
Then calculate the MJD with the Date.exe tool, enter the date in the scenario, start Orbiter and have a look what the weather is like.
Pictures Below: Cloudy vs Clear.

However, it is not that simple. When entering another Date, the scenario time needs also to be corrected. Otherwise the DG will appear over another place around the equator.

Cloudy 0157.jpgClear 0156.jpg