Software A free counterpart for Adobe Premiere?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Hi Community,

I'd like to know if there is any free program that allows making a video out of ready footage clips, still images (with panning and transition effects), custom background music and offers possibility to add subtitles? I am pretty sure many people do such vids, so maybe there's a good free tool for that?

I'd be happy to get recommendation on a Windows (XP compatible) or a Linux program, whatever is better.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Windows movie maker would be a good start

Anariaq

Reaction score
What about visual effects? I knew FXHome's products, but they are too expansive.

Sorry if I took over the thread rudely.

If you really want to make serious FX and composite editing and so on. You could try Blender http://www.blender.org/ Though as a warning. Its UI is really hard to learn ( what I hear that is :p used blender for 8 years now and never had any problem with UI :lol: )

And it got video editing capability. Though its really basic and still need some refinement. Have Adobe Premiere pro CS3 but still use blender for small projects. Little faster IMO.

Anariaq

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
If you're going to use blender you'll want to use the sequencer and compositor (mainly).

If you want to get really fancy you can use videos as textures on meshes and then animate the meshes, but that's hard to do well.

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
Blender has a built in Compositer and Sequencer that work well enough for most uses you would have (But it comes with Blender's learning curve).

As a late addition to the list, since the thread has been bumped, I'll recommend kdenlive to any linux users. A very powerful piece of software that is pretty easy to use.