A Orbiter-related Novel

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
As such, after lurking in the forum for the past months, i told myself "I'm impressed how this community is big and friendly at the same time...i can't find alot of communities like this on the internet."

Then, just a few hours ago, i went out biking when it was around 10PM (unusual time to go biking...:p), i can see the moon and thought "I wish i could see Brighton Beach from down here....:lol:"

Then, something just hit my head, a novel - with alot of free time in hand, plus my skills in english and grammar are advancing (its very important in this country...:lol:), why don't i make a novel purely based on Orbiter, but in a "2001: A Space Odyssey" perspective, like say, gary being the flight control of an Antares flight to the moon, Urwumpe being the chief rocket designer of a [insert name of a fictional space agency here] and more..?

With the novel, progressing and progressing slowly into the future (e.g. the delta glider around 2015 including missions in LEO, then the birth of the delta glider IV and the founding of SpaceTech by Dansteph, Hatsune Aerospace by Pipcard, Themis Aerospace by Loru sometime in 2020, then in 2028, the birth of the FOI's Jarvis, Neptune and Quasar HLV's and their manned Antares spacecraft, then around 2040, the creation of dansteph's Arrow Freighter sent on colonizing the Jovian Moons)

I can see myself doing all these one pace at a time, but i will need help from my fellow friends on O-F if they want to support me, so guys, is it fine if i make a orbiter-related novel about orbiter, and the community itself? I got like 7 months of free time ahead of me (yeah, i need a life) and i'm willing to finished at least, a part of it in 4-6 months.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As such, after lurking in the forum for the past months, i told myself "I'm impressed how this community is big and friendly at the same time...i can't find alot of communities like this on the internet."

Then, just a few hours ago, i went out biking when it was around 10PM (unusual time to go biking...:p), i can see the moon and thought "I wish i could see Brighton Beach from down here....:lol:"

Then, something just hit my head, a novel - with alot of free time in hand, plus my skills in english and grammar are advancing (its very important in this country...:lol:), why don't i make a novel purely based on Orbiter, but in a "2001: A Space Odyssey" perspective, like say, gary being the flight control of an Antares flight to the moon, Urwumpe being the chief rocket designer of a [insert name of a fictional space agency here] and more..?

With the novel, progressing and progressing slowly into the future (e.g. the delta glider around 2015 including missions in LEO, then the birth of the delta glider IV and the founding of SpaceTech by Dansteph, Hatsune Aerospace by Pipcard, Themis Aerospace by Loru sometime in 2020, then in 2028, the birth of the FOI's Jarvis, Neptune and Quasar HLV's and their manned Antares spacecraft, then around 2040, the creation of dansteph's Arrow Freighter sent on colonizing the Jovian Moons)

I can see myself doing all these one pace at a time, but i will need help from my fellow friends on O-F if they want to support me, so guys, is it fine if i make a orbiter-related novel about orbiter, and the community itself? I got like 7 months of free time ahead of me (yeah, i need a life) and i'm willing to finished at least, a part of it in 4-6 months.

Well...

Its an interesting idea, but I think it needs some refinement, especially a more concrete idea to build the story around. It might be funny for Orbinauts, but it would be incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't use Orbiter. Have you ever heard of Atomic Rockets at all?

Athena

Reaction score
Its an interesting idea, but I think it needs some refinement, especially a more concrete idea to build the story around.

I'm currently brainstorming what would happen in the first chapter, and about the orbiter-related stuff that most people wouldn't know about, i think i need to fill a gap in that, e.g. Who proposed the idea of the Delta-Glider? Why is its engines so efficient? Who thought of this idea? How far can it go? How heavy is it? What's its delta-v? When was it first mentioned? When was it first tested and first actual spaceflight. Those are the gaps that i'm willing to fill in.

It might be funny for Orbinauts, but it would be incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't use Orbiter.

The story is, pretty much not really much of a comedy one, its more focused on the history of O-F and its great people in a view sort of like 2001: A Space Odyssey, take Bloodworth's blogs lately for example :

The Armstrong Leap by Bloodworth said:
fter several hours of careful alignment burns today, the spacecraft Armstrong with her crew of 12 brave men and women fired their main engines today at precisely 6:01 pm EDT; accelerating out of Earth orbit and flinging themselves into the void and into history. Even if this mission should fail, they will have made history merely in the attempt, for in 2 days time when they pass the orbit of the moon and head out into interplanetary space, it will be the farthest any human has ever traveled from planet Earth.

After accelerating for nearly 5 ½ minutes the Armstrong’s engines were shut down as she entered the 5 month long coast phase of her voyage to next nearest neighbor. If all goes well, Armstrong will be decelerating into an anticipated 200 kilometer high orbit of Venus sometime on the night of the 23rd of March, next year.

About an hour after main engine cut-off, or MECO, Captain Terrance Armstrong ordered the experimental gravity wheel on the ship spun up for the first time during the mission. The wheel is too small to contain most of the working spaces on the ship, nor does it spin fast enough to supply the crew with a full 1G of simulated gravity. What it does, however is provide just enough gravity in the crews sleeping tubes to help prevent bone loss over the course of long space flights. One chamber of the wheel is also used for the ships hydroponics gardens which will help provide fresh fruits, vegetables and oxygen, all of which are necessary to help maintain not only the crews physical heath, but morale as well.

Have you ever heard of Atomic Rockets at all?

Nope, what's it all about?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That would be more of an Orbiter-Forum-themed novel than an Orbiter-themed one. It is also IMO a pretty poor basis for a novel-length story, and more suited to a collection of shorter works. Surely you have some other inspiration which can drive you to the making of such an expansive project as what 'writing a novel' entails? Perhaps you could start with something less complex than a novel, such as a short story (or a collection of short stories)? Many of the great science fiction novels, including 2001: A Space Odyssey, were grown from an idea first written into a short story, and in the meantime it would be a much more realistic scope, I think, especially if writing is a new pastime of yours. Regardless of what your country deems important in its education system, creative writing has more demands than simply spelling and grammar. They can follow - the priority must first be your idea, and your careful unfolding of it into a story worth the writing, and perhaps the reading.

I also suggest taking a look at the Orbiter Fanfiction Wiki, and perhaps contributing to it. :)

Athena

Reaction score
That would be more of an Orbiter-Forum-themed novel than an Orbiter-themed one. It is also IMO a pretty poor basis for a novel-length story, and more suited to a collection of shorter works. Surely you have some other inspiration which can drive you to the making of such an expansive project as what 'writing a novel' entails? Perhaps you could start with something less complex than a novel, such as a short story (or a collection of short stories)? Many of the great science fiction novels, including 2001: A Space Odyssey, were grown from an idea first written into a short story, and in the meantime it would be a much more realistic scope, I think, especially if writing is a new pastime of yours. Regardless of what your country deems important in its education system, creative writing has more demands than simply spelling and grammar. They can follow - the priority must first be your idea, and your careful unfolding of it into a story worth the writing, and perhaps the reading.

I also suggest taking a look at the Orbiter Fanfiction Wiki, and perhaps contributing to it. :)

I'll look for ideas on the novel, going to look around for stuff for ideas and inspiration today...I'm going to start out on a "short story" first and see what i can milk it out of.

Staiduk

Reaction score
An 'Orbiter-themed novel' could be just about anything; given the wide range of spacecraft and stations available. You've said you're looking at the Delta Glider as a possible storyline and that's good: near-future enough to be familiar while being future enough to make spaceflight relatively easy to incorporate.
One thing I might caution you about though, Athena: good SF is not about technology; it's about people with the technology providing the backdrop. IOW; while we might love the Millenium Falcon; we do so because it's Han's ship.
I'd therefore suggest concentrating on the people first and building the technology around them. I hope that makes some kind of sense; it's past my bedtime. :)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
An 'Orbiter-themed novel' could be just about anything

First thought I had was Ben Bova's solar system series, the first one of that is powersat which features a VSA launching from Matagorda. My own VSA is kinda founded on some of the ideas in that novel.

Staiduk

Reaction score
Then we're thinking along similar lines, Gary. The near-future is a very fertile ground for stories. :)

I think the important thing though is that right at this moment; the best thing Athena can do is just write. The story doesn't really matter at this point; the important thing is that Athena finds her voice. At least in my own writing, I've found that as my writing skills increase, the story changes as the characters evolve. My Kylie Wilson, for example, is a highly sexual woman; something I've found takes quite a bit of confidence and skill for a man to successfully write. Had I written her at the time I was writing 'In Darkness'; I'd never have had the courage or ability to introduce that most vital part of her psychology. :)

So Athena: Don't worry about perfecting the story. Start with a good idea, draw a very general world, populate it and let the people interact. The world and the story will grow and take shape around them. Don't worry about it being good; it won't be at first but with enough time and words, it will become so. :)

And whatever you come up with; please post it! Nothing is worse than writing a story and not letting anyone read it because you think it's not good enough. Post it; let others enjoy and critique it.

Good luck! :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Of course, now that I think about it; Athena has spoken very casually about writing a novel. She might well be an accomplished writer and I just put my foot in my mouth big-time...

Oh well, wouldn't be the first time. :lol:

Last edited:

Athena

Reaction score
Correction, i'm a boy. >_>

And i'm still looking around and think of a nice intro for my "story" which will be the stepping stone to the novel itself, maybe i have to write a bit more small stories (3 or 4) so it all merges into a novel.

I'll be going to the library for a few days, then when i have a idea on a story, i'll start writing (typing) it down...

Last edited:

Staiduk

Reaction score
Whoops, sorry Athena; I assumed you to be female given the name you chose. I stand corrected. :)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm currently brainstorming what would happen in the first chapter, and about the orbiter-related stuff that most people wouldn't know about, i think i need to fill a gap in that, e.g. Who proposed the idea of the Delta-Glider? Why is its engines so efficient? Who thought of this idea? How far can it go? How heavy is it? What's its delta-v? When was it first mentioned? When was it first tested and first actual spaceflight. Those are the gaps that I'm willing to fill in.

Well I thought of it, just five minutes ago!!! If I remember correctly, a Gas-core NTR could be built right now, provided you had the materials available to do it. The downside would be the unbelievable cost of radioactive material for the engine, lots of cooling & radiation issues, and the combined forces of every civilized country after your head for spewing high-level radioactive exhaust into the atmosphere.

Not even considering that, the engine would probably be quite heavy, awkward to fit into a spaceplane. No sane engineer would mount an engine like that onto a glider; its meant for use with the big mothership in orbit, where it can be maintained & used properly. The DG should really have chemical engines, modified jet engines, or maybe no engine at all.

Of course, this isnt a rant against the Delta-glider, its meant as a demonstrator for Orbiter, and it does that quite well. Writing a story about its "development" would inevitably end up being implausible, as other authors like you have discovered before. If you wanted to do something really compelling, you should look at something like the Antares capsule instead. Maybe you could design a story around a nearish-future crew riding a Quasar-launched Antares to Jupiter & back, free-return (of course youll need more hardware to make that happen, like a mission module, but its a start).

The story is, pretty much not really much of a comedy one, its more focused on the history of O-F and its great people in a view sort of like 2001: A Space Odyssey, take Bloodworth's blogs lately for example :

Yes, the stuff he did was pretty good, but it takes time to flesh these things out. I always liked the description of Brighton Beach that the author of Go Play in Space included in the tutorial. Those small details can really make the story come alive.

Nope, what's it all about?

Its like manna raining from heaven for anyone who wants realistic sci-fi :lol:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/prelimnotes.php

The site is dedicated to helping creative types develop realistic sci-fi. It can really help you create a great story that engages your audience as well.

Check it out, you'll be glad you did ;)

:hailprobe:

Hey! Heres an idea for you, why not write a story about the first flight of the Almighty Probe!!!

Athena

Reaction score
Actually, i have a idea already, this isn't directly related to the novel but...it tells the story of the founding of Space Technologies Corporation by dansteph after he was amazed after a commercial suborbital flight on a Bristol Ascender, my goal on this story is to at least, give a much more in-depth "view" of his feelings and emotions when he's on the plane, writing a diary and stuff, landing at the airport where he'll start his journey into space, getting into the craft, taking off and experiencing zero-g for 2 minutes, reentry and landing.

And about the Delta-Glider, i'm feeling that the Shuttle-A, would be more realistic, will be the "first" part of the novel and how it helps so much in the construction of Brighton Beach. But i'll mainly focus the founding of SpaceTech first...;)

My current focus right now is dan's flight from France to UK, which i've found the perfect [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5449]plane[/ame] to do the job...as i'll be posting screenies (Not all the time though, only after a few paragraphs so the story won't like a damn art museum)

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And about the Delta-Glider, i'm feeling that the Shuttle-A, would be more realistic, will be the "first" part of the novel and how it helps so much in the construction of Brighton Beach. But i'll mainly focus the founding of SpaceTech first...;)

I hate to say it, but the Shuttle-A is unrealistic as well. Both the DG and the Shuttle-A use something like 30000 m/s for engine ISP, unrealistic performance for a craft that size. Atomic rockets can help you understand this too, if you look at the engines page. LOX/LH2 has an ISP of 4000 m/s or so, most chemical fuels falling into the range of 2000-4500 m/s. Solid-core NTRs like NERVA can hit about 8000 m/s using LH2 fuel, and Gas core engines can go to 20000 m/s, sometimes even more. ISP is the measure of how much "bang for your buck" you get for each kilo of rocket fuel.

The issue is that NTR engines are really heavy when compared to chemical ones; a Nuclear rocket only has a thrust to weight ratio of 10:1 or so, further complicated by the need to use fuels that aren't dense, bigger fuel tanks, etc.

Both the Shuttle-A & Delta Glider are nonsensical designs as such, since they use the wrong engine for the job in order to be easy to fly. Its like putting a nuclear reactor in an airplane; nothing says you cant, but there are good reasons why you shouldn't.

Of course, the XR-2 would be a good example that you could build your story around, as there is a realistic config available for the Ravenstar, & it wouldn't be impossible to build, just tough to use.

Athena

Reaction score
I'm gonna start reading Atomic Rockets for a few days, i didn't notice (either i wasn't looking hard enough, or i'm just sleepy) that there's a god damn list on basically every aspect of sci-fi...then, after i read all this (willing to read all of it if its necessary), i'll "build" my own realistic design of a spacecraft.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Of course, this isnt a rant against the Delta-glider, its meant as a demonstrator for Orbiter, and it does that quite well. Writing a story about its "development" would inevitably end up being implausible

Not really, you just have to make it just believable enough that the readers will ignore the obvious implausibility of it.

In my universe the DG was a concept vehicle first trialled by NASA when experiments with the gas core caradyne reactor lead to a new breakthrough of physics called the arbatov effect which lead to the development of the DG, a space plane capable of doing a runway take off and flying to the moon. Development was expensive so only a limited amount of vehicles were produced. Chemical rockets are still the main way of getting into space.

Staiduk

Reaction score

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
...the DG was a concept vehicle first trialled by NASA ...

Same here. The DG/XR-1 were test beds, and only the really wealthy corporations (and governments) tool around with XR-2's. The DGIV is a workhorse, but still very expensive to own; it's not like a Cessna or Piper Cub where you can kick the tires and light the fires...

Phantom Mfg has leased an XR-5 once, and it nearly sank the entire space division buget (but it was something we needed to deliver a pair of Sterling Reactors to the moon). I figure there's only 5-6 XR-5's in use due to their O&M costs.

We're scheduleing some Eridanus flights, and the JasonLEO/Eagle is probably within our buget for purchase, but we're really interested in the MAKS and OK-M for our own in-house development. We'll probably take a look at leasing an XR-3 in the future (for another long-haul delivery) once it's available.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thank you, Bruce! What a great website! I'm reading it now and am thoroughly engrossed.

It raises some troubling questions for me as a budding (makes me sound young, doesn't it? ;) ) S-F writer though. I have a few questions, but I'll post them on another thread - I don't want to hijack this one. :)

I know, its amazing isn't it? Stuff like this makes me wonder why die hard fans of bad sci-fi wouldn't want the real thing.

I can answer a few questions for you too, Im not 100 % qualified on these things, but I think Im far enough past "Mount Stupid" to provide a few qualified responses.

I just wish I could find an easier way to contact the guy. Theres a couple of minor changes I would like to see made, & it would really just be easier to send him an email.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hatsune Aerospace by Pipcard
It's Hatsunespace, by the way. In-universe, it was created in the late 1980s as a commercial launch service provider (like Arianespace), and as a consortium of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Heavy_Industries"]Mikubishi Heavy Industries[/ame] (logo), [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypton_Future_Media"]Crypton Future Aerospace[/ame], and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Corporation"]Yamaha Heavy Industries[/ame].

Staiduk

Reaction score
Thanks Bruce. Look for the post "The High Heaven Arc" in Brighton Lounge. Writing it now; will finish after dinner. :)