A reminder to backup your systems and data.

Keatah

Reaction score
Folks it is fast approaching that time of the year for making backups of your computer and important data contained therein. Think of all the stuff you have going! And more to the point, how much of it irreplaceable? And what can you do to protect it.

HOW TO BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM ABSOLUTELY QUICKLY AND PAINLESSLY
Ok, let us make it simple. You backup your system, just as it is. Everything! You image the entire computer. You do this often. You do it quickly. You develop a procedure that takes you 5 minutes to start it going. While it is working you go do something else, like have a night on the town. When you come back, you not only enjoyed the evening, but you have a bonus fuzzy feeling knowing you just thwarted the most vicious mal-ware author ever. And you'll be protected against any form of mal-ware or virus that blows into town. Every virus writer will shake in fear and go scurrying for the nearest emergency exit! Those ohh :censored: moments are a thing of the past!

This is what you do:
1- Insert backup program CD and connect up an external USB drive of some sort.
2- Turn on the computer and monitor.
3- Select "backup" and start it going.

Folks, it can't get any easier than that. Any problems and you can simply go back to the way it was before. Absolutely bulletproof and 100% guaranteed to get you out of trouble. For bonus points make extra copies of your important stuff as you work throughout the week. And for the slam-dunk you have two copies of your master image; rotating through them every other backup session. Done and done!

If and when you have a problem, you do this:
1- Insert backup program CD and connect up your backup media.
2- Turn on the computer and monitor.
3- Select "restore" and start it going.
4- Optionally, bring your user files and documents up to date.

Those virus writers and mal-ware producers didn't stand a chance. Isn't that cool or what?

Absolutely Thrilling!

Here are examples of important data, it is by no means an all-inclusive list.
Photos, graphics, add-on development and other projects, school work, schedules, financial stuff, music files and iTunes libraries, papers and dissertations, Orbiter installs, videos, journals and diaries, downloaded software both legal and illegal, ripped libraries, pr0n collections, games, utilities, Photoshop materials, tutorials, documentation, office suites, recorded data from experiments, top-secret gubbament filez, password lists, browser add-ins and customizations, source-code, personal letters and e-mails, freeware collections, flight plans, records & transcripts of any type, schedules, smartphone app libraries, on-line transaction records, medical information, divorce papers, marriage papers, high-score records, SMS and text messages, training materials & tutorials, on-line billing and bank statements, page saves from Facebook and other sites, PDF files from the early history of the space program, well-configured operating system set-ups, patches, drivers, documentation, maintenance records, forum posts, the list continues..

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Folks it is fast approaching that time of the year for making backups of your computer and important data contained therein.

I disagree. Backups should be a lot more regular than once a year!

what should you backup? Anything that you cannot afford to lose. Any data that isn't backed up is data you don't want.

There are many good online backup tools such as Amazon S3, Mozy and so on. Make use of them

Keatah

Reaction score
I disagree. Backups should be a lot more regular than once a year!

what should you backup? Anything that you cannot afford to lose. Any data that isn't backed up is data you don't want.

There are many good online backup tools such as Amazon S3, Mozy and so on. Make use of them

Ohh definitely. I was just guessing that this time of year can come several times.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Should I be the one to point out that if you image your hard drive, you'd be taking any viruses with you in those image files?

No anti-virus is 100%. It's far better to just keep a restore disk from when you first installed the OS, and incremental backups from there. Besides, if you image your hard drive, you image the entire hard drive. If you want to keep massive hard drives lying around, thats fine, but assuming you're not going to wipe your previous backup, that's still... what, 100 USD a year to back up your files? Much better to buy a couple large external hard drives, back up the files you need and can't replace, and keep a copy of that backup offsite (safe deposit box, with a trusted friend, online backup service, etc).

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I have a data-server running FreeNAS for my backups.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
FreeNAS is a great tool but what happens if it's stolen? Your data is gone. This is why no backup is a true backup unless it's offsite.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
FreeNAS is a great tool but what happens if it's stolen? Your data is gone. This is why no backup is a true backup unless it's offsite.

By that logic, no backup is "true" unless it can be recovered from the basic constants of the Universe after our solar system is destroyed by a supernova and its remnants succumb to the heat death of the universe.

I don't bother with full-image backups because I don't have anything that important. I've lost all my hard drives earlier this year due to flooding. I haven't been particularly inconvenienced.

My strategy is to divide my data into non-essential (most of which resides on the not-particularly-reliable file server in my basement), and absolutely-must-survive, which I keep in several copies locally and on cloud storage services.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
By that logic, no backup is "true" unless it can be recovered from the basic constants of the Universe after our solar system is destroyed by a supernova and its remnants succumb to the heat death of the universe.

Yeah, I wasn't getting too worried about destruction of the universe. Just about keeping data offsite (like you do, in the cloud) to ensure that should some person take a liking to my 4TB storage array my data is still safe.