A Special Visit

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Today in my aviation club at school, we had a man come talk to us. That man, who introduced himself as Mr. Pelingro, was on the ignition panel of Apollo 9 and 11. He worked on the cooling of the fuels in the Saturn 1b and V.

You can see some of what he worked on here:
ap11-69-HC-622.jpg

The duct work on the left of the tower is what the team he was part of was responsible for. Also, he worked on the Environmental Control System, which the duct work was part of.

He's even in a famous photo:
Apollo-11-flight-crewcircled.jpg

He brought his passes to the firing room. And some other certificates that other control room team members had. Along with some old NASA artist concepts and photos he has from his 'old days'.

If you ask me, I think that's pretty cool. That, and when he pointed at a LES, I was the only one who knew what its purpose was. (All he did was point at and ask what it did.) That made me feel slightly smarter :p (or nerdier :shifty:).

It's almost cooler to meet people who played a part in History without being the famous person. Without all those people, we wouldn't have set a guy on the moon. My hat's off to him, and all those people. :tiphat:

Best of all, I told him I flew that flight. He looked at me odd, then I told him about Orbiter and AMSO. Now he thought that was pretty cool. :)

Cheers guys,
:cheers:

-Eli

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I think it's great that someone who actually took part in this found out about Orbiter. Sounds like a great experience.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Today in my aviation club at school, we had a man come talk to us. That man, who introduced himself as Mr. Pelingro, was on the ignition panel of Apollo 9 and 11. He worked on the cooling of the fuels in the Saturn 1b and V.

You can see some of what he worked on here:
ap11-69-HC-622.jpg

The duct work on the left of the tower is what the team he was part of was responsible for. Also, he worked on the Environmental Control System, which the duct work was part of.

He's even in a famous photo:
Apollo-11-flight-crewcircled.jpg

He brought his passes to the firing room. And some other certificates that other control room team members had. Along with some old NASA artist concepts and photos he has from his 'old days'.

If you ask me, I think that's pretty cool. That, and when he pointed at a LES, I was the only one who knew what its purpose was. (All he did was point at and ask what it did.) That made me feel slightly smarter :p (or nerdier :shifty:).

It's almost cooler to meet people who played a part in History without being the famous person. Without all those people, we wouldn't have set a guy on the moon. My hat's off to him, and all those people. :tiphat:

Best of all, I told him I flew that flight. He looked at me odd, then I told him about Orbiter and AMSO. Now he thought that was pretty cool. :)

Cheers guys,
:cheers:

-Eli
thats at least 20% cooler than the people that came to MY school. Every year... the D.A.R.E. cars would pull up (as you can see, we never got anyone interesting to show up) and about half the school would roll their eyes. Glad to see that you met someone that was in the midst of the action