Acceleration time (is it possible?)

MessiGamer

Reaction score
Was playing with my friend and decided to go to the moon, but we can not decrease the rate of 3 days. OMP does not allows speed up the time? No exist any other way? :facepalm:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Was playing with my friend and decided to go to the moon, but we can not decrease the rate of 3 days. OMP does not allows speed up the time? No exist any other way? :facepalm:

Server admins can skip ahead the server time. If this happens, every client is free to accelerate above x2 on his own. However, you won't see each other during this synchronization period.

Going to the moon typically consists of launch, short Earth orbital phase, trans-lunar injection, coasting, mid-course correction, coasting, LOI, moon orbital phase. I'd suggest to plan your mission ahead with a server admin to skip the 2 time-consuming coasting phases. E.g. if your TLI is finished, the admin can skip the next 36 hours. You would then use normal Orbiter acceleration to fast-forward until you are in sync with the server clock again. Then do mid-course correction, followed by another skip of 36 hours.

There is a space-time bubble concept in planning that will give individual groups of clients the possibility to time-accelerate. The infrastructure is there, but no front-end yet. So you will have to wait for that, as my current focus is on persistence instead.

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
There is a space-time bubble concept in planning that will give individual groups of clients the possibility to time-accelerate. The infrastructure is there, but no front-end yet. So you will have to wait for that, as my current focus is on persistence instead.

Would it be possible to have time stop during client setup so that all clients get an equal start?

Thanks.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would it be possible to have time stop during client setup so that all clients get an equal start?

Since every computer clock is different, this is somewhat difficult. Even if the client simulation would start paused on startup, you'd have a significant different clock sync phase after a quasi-synchronous "release" signal is sent.

The only thing I could imagine is syncing all clients first, then set the server MJD to something in the past, which will cause all clients to go to x0.1 time acceleration. Then set the server MJD back to what it should be now, so that clients accelerate back to x1 .

Why would you want such a thing? Making racing preparation a part of the race? It's not like this is some FPS multiplayer game mode...

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Face I have been messing around with Kerbal Space Program multiplayer. It does allow a client to warp. I was wondering if using their idea for handling time acceleration would work for OMP. and BTW good work on OMP 0.8 and because the earth is now rotating launchMFD is working perfectly. Sync is working great..nice work! Here is the link for DMP multiplayer, Code,source,and documentation http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79111-DarkMultiPlayer-0-1-6-2-KSP-0-25-Alpha

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey Face I have been messing around with Kerbal Space Program multiplayer. It does allow a client to warp. I was wondering if using their idea for handling time acceleration would work for OMP. and BTW good work on OMP 0.8 and because the earth is now rotating launchMFD is working perfectly. Sync is working great..nice work! Here is the link for DMP multiplayer, Code,source,and documentation http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79111-DarkMultiPlayer-0-1-6-2-KSP-0-25-Alpha

I've followed their development since the beginning, and from my POV it is basically OMP for Kerbal. Same concept, similar implementation. Their time acceleration feature is also similar to the space-time bubble concept I've outlined numerous times now.

So no new idea there, but I guess this is just because you'll always eventually end up with an OMP concept when you think about it longer than 5 minutes ;) .

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Why would you want such a thing? Making racing preparation a part of the race? It's not like this is some FPS multiplayer game mode...

Not for some FPS game.

Yes, for racing preparation. Perhaps a simple to understand, parallel approach and landing.

Thanks.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Perhaps a simple to understand, parallel approach and landing.

You mean for something like tutorials? OMP was designed to be an open-world multiplayer with persistence, so a synchronized scenario boot-up is hard to do. For tutorials in OMP, you'll have to organize the meeting yourself, just like in real life.

I'm not going to program that feature, anyway, but of course everybody interested can try his hands on the code. Pull requests are always welcome, and if they fit into the theme, I'd of course merge them in...