Add-on Development Resources

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
Multi-Object UVW Unwrap for earlier 3DS Max versions

I found a script that provides a way to assemble multiple objects onto a single UVW map. I've read that newer versions of 3DS Max have this capability by default, but for those of us using Max 7, 8, or earlier, this may be helpful. In my first experiments it appears to do the job.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/multi-objects-unwrap

Instructions for installation and use are on that page. I hope you find it useful.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
There's also SoftImage|Mod Tool(formerly XSI|Mod Tool), which is a free version of Autodesk Softimage 7.5 (which formerly was Softimage|XSI, before SoftImage was bought by Autodesk).

It is geared towards modelling for games (should you be developing one) and mods, at an amateur level. It has most features of "standard" XSI/SoftImage, but misses some, such as it is not possible to render your scenes. It should be more than adequate for Orbiter-modelling though (atleast I think so, havn't done anything in Orbiter with it, but it works for other games).

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The disadvantage is always the same. You have to include the redistributable runtimes into the package. I have yet to switch to VS10 though, since there's no pressing need as of now.

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
I'm having a little bit of problems while instaling GIMP. If I downloaded the right files, how do I install the BZ2 file? What do I need to do with it?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It uses bzip2 program. I use cygwin extensively, and so bzip2 is part of it. AFAIK 7Zip and WinRAR can unpack this format, too.

jimblah

Reaction score
Suggestion for resources

Bazinga Big Bang Lovers. I concede to going sailing off the edge of the world at #orbiter-forum. In an effort to make amends I humbly submit that gobby, the collaborative text editor be added to to the list of Add-On Development Resources. http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/ Want to show newbs how its done? Insult them if you wish in in a private tutoring session or collab with your favoriite group of elites. RAD opensource style. Sith and Jedi agree this tool is priceless. Whatever your didactic methodology is, gobby never ceases to please.:cheers:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi all - redirected to this thread from the "Orbiter is dying, woe is me" thread! The OP is from 2007 I see. Can I ask you guys what's the recommended set today for Win 7 and Orbiter 2010?

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Hi all - redirected to this thread from the "Orbiter is dying, woe is me" thread! The OP is from 2007 I see. Can I ask you guys what's the recommended set today for Win 7 and Orbiter 2010?
If you ask about C++ compiler, the Visual C++ Express 2008 is still supported just fine in Windows 7 (Orbiter 2010-P1 was compiled with VS2005).

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
If you ask about C++ compiler, the Visual C++ Express 2008 is still supported just fine in Windows 7 (Orbiter 2010-P1 was compiled with VS2005).
When I had time I still coded with VS2005 (Professional edition) on Windows 7 and it worked fine. VS2005, 8 and 10 should all be fine for development on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I currently develop with Visual Studio 2010 and Windows 7 just fine. I've also used VC++ EE 2008 on 7 and it works just as well.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
and 10 should all be fine for development on Windows 2000,
Programs linked by VC++ 2010 aren't supported by Windows 2000 and XP SP1 (without special treatment that replaces DecodePointer with a dummy function), so Visual Studio 2010 isn't all fine for development there.

If you take the Express editions, you can choose between versions 2008 and 2010, which can be downloaded from Microsoft. The 2005 Exoress edition can still be downloaded, but not directly from Microsoft and you need to search for it, that's why I pointed to 2008 edition and not 2005.

I currently develop with Visual C++ / C# Express 2005, Visual C++ / C# Express 2008, Visual C++ / C# Express 2010 on Windows XP SP3.

smarly

Reaction score
Thanks for the list on devleopment resources. Very useful! :)

However, is it possible there is a wrong link to the Blender export script?
The listed link is http://sourceforge.net/projects/blorbiter/.
However, the file I downloaded today from this link didn't work and seems to be much older than the actual version.

Instead, I used the link http://gitorious.org/blender-orbiter-io/blender-orbiter-io/archive-tarball/master from the original thread on the orbiter export script ([Blender 2.5 to Orbiter import/export addon]). The file I got from there works just fine.

Can anyone verify this and maybe update the link in the resource list of this thread?

Last edited: