Adjusting splashdown area on a circumlunar flight

Cale

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some "guidance" on hitting a more-or-less splashdown area.

I'm using Antonio Maia's (aka Simcosmos) Direct v.01 add-on and have added a Delta IV Heavy Earth Departure Stage to send the Orion CEV on a circumlunar flight around the moon. The TLI works perfectly, looping me around the moon on a free-return trajectory with a closest approach to the moon of 100km.

The problem I'm having is that, without touching anything (other than a short MCC burn on the way out to the moon using IMFD's Map program), I reenter the earth and land somewhere in the middle of Africa:blink:. I'm sure the astronauts know their jungle survival training, but I'm hoping to make my splashdown in the Pacific, like the Apollo landings accomplished.

I'm familiar with doing an MCC burn on the way back to earth to adjust my reentry altitude. I wait until I'm well within the Earth's SOI (usually about 80k seconds away from PeA), then maneuver the spacecraft 90 degrees from Prograde to adjust my trajectory. But I'm having problems changing where I land.

Would either a retrograde/prograde burn be more effective in changing my landing area? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Cale

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would use the base approach program and enter the coordinates of the landing site manually. Important for you are the correct values for Ant, ReA and Alt.

Cale

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking...it should be ok if I base those values on what Apollo missions used, right (eg..ReA: 6.5, Alt: 120k, Ant: 21.00)?

Thanks for you help on this, Urwumpe!:cheers:

Am really looking forward to when Simcosmos finishes his update to Direct. It will be a great addition to the superb work Franz is doing with the CEV.:)

Cheers,

Cale

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah. If you want to test the old skipping reentry, try Ant = 22.5°. That should give you 2500 km from first EI to landing.

Does somebody already know the recovery fleets?