Discussion AerobrakeMFD tweak

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just had an idea that could make AerobrakeMFD even more useful then it already is.

Many space craft change "mode" at a certain point in the reentry. Some deploy chutes, the shuttle ramps down AoA etc.
During a reentry we also often use "waypoints" to aim for.

So here's the idea: What if it was possible to select the altitude of the "touchdown point"? (the point where the MFD stops calculating, and shows final pos. and speed.)

The current version is 0.95.2 so there might be hope for some new feature.:lol:

Being completely C++ illiterate, I've no idea how difficult this would be to implement.
The target Alt could be selected by an input prompt. Another option would be to enter the target(s) in the craft's *.ld file.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think that sounds good. Since we're wishing here, I wish there was a way to calculate the aerodynamics of child vessels or docked vessels.

In the first example, you could target a suborbital payload (like a warhead) before seperating it from the parent vessel.

In the second, you would get a better answer when aerobraking a vehicle with a docked payload. My Lunar Transfer Vessel add-on aerobrakes with a payload docked to the inside of the payload bay, but Aerobrake MFD only calculates the trajectory of the LTV itself, which means you have to guess the rest.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think you can trick the MFD to do just that.

Have you tried saving an *.ld file for the payload/docked stack, and renaming it to match the name of the active vessel?

That might work if the mass isn't too different.

Edit: Thinking about it, your suggestion would make the MFD extremely versatile. I suggested a similar function being added to the DockingMFD.
I suggested that you could select the source port, as well as the target port. DockingMFD is built into the Orbiter core, so it will have to be Martin that has to do it. And he has other things higher on the to-do list. Maybe somebody will eventually make an addon DockingMFD.

Last edited:

gp

Reaction score
Hi C3PO,
if i have understand you want to set the altitude at the touchdown point.
I will try to do that and version will be 0.96.

Bye,
gp

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Hi C3PO,
i have build the new option, but i need some test. How may i send to you the new DLL to test if it's ok?

gp

Tommy

Reaction score
This is a fine addition to an already great MFD. I hesitate to ask for even more, but would it be difficult (or is it already possible and I missed it) to set a Target by geographical coordinates rather than a base location? The main reason I ask is because this, along with the above mentioned altitude selection, would make Aerobrake more useful in targeting the "Shukra" base, which floats in the Venusian atmosphere. It's a vessel, rather than a base, so can't be selected in the normal target dialog. This could also be useful for "First manned trip to Mars" type senarios where there is no base yet.

Thank you for what I consider to already be an indispensible add-on, without which "deadstick" landings are a rather "hit-or-miss" prospect.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think Tommy's got a good idea, if it's not too hard to implement. The Vallis Dao scenery add-on for Mars has a high-detail area that is not at the center of the base, and therefore there is no way to target that area directly in the MFD.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think Tommy's got a good idea, if it's not too hard to implement. The Vallis Dao scenery add-on for Mars has a high-detail area that is not at the center of the base, and therefore there is no way to target that area directly in the MFD.

I like the idea too, but I've been experimenting with dummy-bases that function as targets for this MFD. This way you can make different reentry targets for different craft. Maybe those targets could be loaded using the <CONTEXT> function. (Orbiter.pdf p. 104)