OHM Aeroshield 2.0

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: izack

A genericised dockable\attachable circular shield for use in aerobraking, or as a sunshield.

Comes in two sizes: 54m and 107m.

360° of protection! :D

1.0: Original release (20/04/12)

1.1: Added a third, larger shield (161m) to cover the Deepstar. (20/04/12)

2.0: Switched over to a dynamic library. Shield size defined in scenario file. (23/10/12)

DOWNLOAD

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Awesome, I've been looking for something like this for the Arrow.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the Arrow always seemed kinda breakable with those thin pylons on the back. Only atmo I would take it into might be Titan and I would still worry about all those things that protruding from it being torn off. Might attach this to the Deepstar if its big enough to protect the centrifuge...

Shoot, just tried it on the front of Deepstar and it doesn't quite cover the centrifuge. Think we can get you to make a slightly bigger one in the next version?

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Might attach this to the Deepstar if its big enough to protect the centrifuge
It's not. In a bit I'll have update the package with a 160m large version that covers Deepstar adequately.

Edit: And there it is.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Glad to see that someone made one available. I still can't get my current version to fold...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Orbiter SDK allows for meshes to be rescaled on the fly, but if they can be, might wanna look into a version that can be resized on the fly...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Orbiter SDK allows for meshes to be rescaled on the fly, but if they can be, might wanna look into a version that can be resized on the fly...
This was only a little project which I was somehow possessed to test and upload, so no great amount of effort went into its functionality. I did look at scaling the model (because that's the only difference between the three included, making two of them a waste of space) and would like to get around to something like that, once practical. I'm still only beginning to learn C++ and the Orbiter API, so these things are difficult for my insofar pathetic ability. :)
what ship is that in the photo?
The mesh is from [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2981"]JamesCook[/ame] but the module is my own. This should attach just fine to that addon if you add a backwards-facing docking port at Z -125. Fixing it to the prow is more of a difficulty because of the instrumentation already placed there.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Yaaay! I've been looking for one of these, thanks Izack!

javichuelas

Reaction score
for some reason, the shield throws your eccentricity off when docked and in external view of the docked vessel ... (confirmed with Deepstar)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
for some reason, the shield throws your eccentricity off when docked and in external view of the docked vessel ... (confirmed with Deepstar)
I can't seem to replicate anything anomalous with the Deepstar. Attempting to rotate normally will create some small orbit changes due ot the stack's shifted centre of mass. Switching between internal and external view without touching any other controls isn't changing anything for me. Does this happen with other vessels docked to the Deepstar?

The Void

Workin hard on my next project
Reaction score
So far this has saved me a few DG's and XR's nice addon

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
A very very usefull addon, after 100 failed landings on mars i found your addon today :lol:. I love the Pegasus-Ares lander with Totalimmersion VC, but this thing was very difficult to land savely without big fuel consumption. Now its no problem, i landet at first try and had enough fuel for restart to low mars orbit! The mothership did an aerobreaking too and saved big ammounts of fuel too. Thats great! Is this a kind of inflatable shield? That this would work has showen real reentry tests: "Inflatable Re-Entry Vehicle Experiment -Irve". Tho only thing i miss is a smaller one shield, in the dimensions of 15-20m for small vessels like capsules and probes. The looking of the actual smallest shield (54m) togehter with Ares-Lander looks a little overpowered and produces over 7 G in 50 km altitude over mars in that thin atmosphere:).

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, possible issue...
I was flying my new IMS ship iinto an aerocapture at Earth after a departure from the Moon, and hit the atmosphere at better than 9 km/s. However, the ship began to tumble at about 85km up, and was subjected to loads in excess of 40 g's during the few seconds leading up to the initiation of the tumble. What's causing this?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, possible issue...
I was flying my new IMS ship iinto an aerocapture at Earth after a departure from the Moon, and hit the atmosphere at better than 9 km/s. However, the ship began to tumble at about 85km up, and was subjected to loads in excess of 40 g's during the few seconds leading up to the initiation of the tumble. What's causing this?

This happens with long vessels. My implementation is a bit of a cheat when it comes to stability. A lighter vessel with significant drag will cause a stack to tumble in the atmosphere, unless its centre of gravity is behind the heavier vessel, like a drogue chute. Because the shield is supposed to be in front (it would be a pretty poor shield otherwise) I moved its centre of gravity far to the rear. It is far enough back for some vessels, but IMS tends to produce very diverse sizes of vessel, so it may be an indomitable bug. Too far back and the vessel becomes absurdly stable in the atmosphere to the point of being unable to rotate, and also very unpredictable when rotating in a vacuum. Too far forward and we have your problem. Were I better with math, and programming in general, I would have already worked out a way to automagically move the centre of gravity slightly behind the docked vessel's. As it is, I know basically how to do this, but haven't come up with a practical solution. And on top of that, it would still be a cheat. :uhh:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, I guess I'll have to make an IMS-specific shield. Time to learn to use something OTHER than Sketchup...