Question AMSO "ReadMeFirst" Question

Reaction score
So basically I found something in the "ReadMeFirst" thing and I couldn't find it. In the txt file it says,
"From 'D3D9Client Advanced Setup' dialog:
“Experimental lunar terrain interpolation” must be
checked.'" (Not exactly what it says). When I go to my D3D9Client Advanced Setup dialog I found find it. Here's a screen shoot of what I see. Also I have r1427.

SCREENSHOOT:

Screenshot (249).png

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Me too. My version of D3D9 is the latest and yet, the so-called “Experimental lunar terrain interpolation” does not appear. @jarmonik did you remove the experimental thing after the release of AMSO-2016 in December 2019?Capture.PNG

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That option has been removed with r1243 (branches/2016).

Whether that was on purpose or accidentally is unknown - for me at least ;)

Can anyone of you check if it is still needed? I mean: Is there an issue that used to be gone when selecting that check-box?

From the code-change(s) it seems like that check-box only made sure that the Elevation-Mode equals 0 (zero).
This can also be done by disabling the standard "Visual Effects"-option "Surface Elevation, ..." (see Attachment).
You might try this option, too (just to check).

Further input from Jarmo might still be helpful ?

Attachments

• ElevationMode0.png
    ElevationMode0.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 6

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The “Experimental lunar terrain interpolation” has been upgraded so it's no longer an "experimental" feature it's a full feature and it's always active. So, no checkbox anymore.
Experimental features are usually either abandoned as failures or upgraded to a full features.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So the specific part in this section of AMSO's ReadMeFirst.txt should just be ignored for more recent D3D9Client versions:

Very important D3D9Client setups for AMSO-2016
----------------------------------------------
From “Visual effects” tab:
“linear interpolation” must be selected.
“Max. resolution level” must be set to 19.
From “D3D9Client Advanced Setup” dialog:
“Experimental lunar terrain interpolation” must be
checked.
From “D3D9Client Advanced Setup” dialog:
“Reflexion and custom camera settings” pull down list
“Reflexion mode”, must bet set to “Full scene”.

I think "Visual Effects"-option "Surface Elevation, use" should be enabled and set to "linear" as well, right?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So the specific part in this section of AMSO's ReadMeFirst.txt should just be ignored for more recent D3D9Client versions:
I think "Visual Effects"-option "Surface Elevation, use" should be enabled and set to "linear" as well, right?

Yes and Yes. I tested that Apollo 12 landing autopilot fails without proper elevation data. (at least with flat/spherical moon high speed impact is expected)