Question Any realistic torchship-like addon spacecraft with high thrust and isp?

SpaceGOAT

Reaction score
Pretty much the title. Preferably with virtual cockpit.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Unfortunately, I don't think we have much by way of addons like that. Or tools for navigating, which is too bad.

There was this from quite a number of years ago. Not sure it works in the current version though. https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/bullet-mk1.3699/

This absolutely is something that could be created if someone wanted to take the time to do so.

diogom

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of doing something with The Expanse, but I don't really have the time right now. But I've also wondered how one would even navigate in that way in Orbiter (constant .3G-1G, decelerate halfway).

SpaceGOAT

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers!
For navigation, I think you could just point straight at the target (compensation for its movement), accelerate for a straight escape trajectory, then coast and finally break, like in „Pioneer Space Sim“. All the imprecisement could be compensated by more dV 😉.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any realistic torchship-like addon spacecraft with high thrust and isp?
I'd say there's a fundamental issue with that requirement ;). But I get what you mean, and no, I don't think we have one. It kinda defeats the purpose of Orbiter a bit, to be honest.

SpaceGOAT

Reaction score
I'd say there's a fundamental issue with that requirement ;). But I get what you mean, and no, I don't think we have one. It kinda defeats the purpose of Orbiter a bit, to be honest.
Yeah, I know. However, Torchships are quite popular in hard scifi and it would be fun to try out to fly one.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If it's just about flying one without much other complexity, you can pretty easily achieve that by modifying thrust and isp values in config files of existing vessels. Some vessels have these values hard coded, but there should be some around that don't. The old Deepstar for one comes to mind, though I haven't looked at the new one.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Unlimited fuel is a good way to achieve the effect.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Probably yall know Winchel Chung's Atomic Rocket page, which contains a wealth of designs on realistic near and far future spacecrafts, mixed with background stories and design formulas. I would love to see one of these designs being adopted to Orbiter!

I was a fan of the Bullet Mk1 to whizz around the Solar system. It even had a 'Total Immersion' cockpit. But it was not updated to Orbiter 2016. Never could not get it to run, even with the modern Spacecraft4 modules.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of doing something with The Expanse, but I don't really have the time right now. But I've also wondered how one would even navigate in that way in Orbiter (constant .3G-1G, decelerate halfway).

I have started a few discussions on the topic. And I'm still working on it, by the way:
It sounds like self-promotion (and why not) but I'm really interested in discussions on these threads...

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0594.jpg

Found a workaround to run the Bullet Mk1 in Orbiter 2016. If you copy a 'spacecraft3.dll', which is part of the spacecraft4 package directly into the Modules folder, the Bullet works (minus the main drive exhaust).

The Bullet brings along its own spacecraft3.dll in the Modules/Vessels folder, but this seems outdated.
By copying the newer spacecraft3.dll directly into the modules folder, this has priority and now the addon works.
(The dll-file is attached for convenience; the full package is at DanSteph's homepage).

The Bullet has an insane ISP and high thrust. You can basically point to the target planet in planetarium mode [F9] and accelerate.
Don't forget to flip around in time to decelerate!

Attachments

• Spacecraft3.zip
    71.1 KB · Views: 1