OrbitMFD Apoapsis and periapsis both rising

Reaction score
After circularising my orbit, I've noticed that the orbit MFD broke - times required to reach the periapsis and apoapsis are constantly rising, approximately at the same ratio, with no thrust at all and altitudes remaining just the same. How is it even possible? I wanted to lower my periapsis, but the apoapsis keeps moving further and further away.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Check whether you have "Nonspherical gravity sources" and/or "Gravity gradient torque" enabled in the Parameters tab in your Orbiter launchpad. Both of those realism options can perturb your orbit slightly.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
After circularising my orbit, I've noticed that the orbit MFD broke - times required to reach the periapsis and apoapsis are constantly rising, approximately at the same ratio, with no thrust at all and altitudes remaining just the same. How is it even possible? I wanted to lower my periapsis, but the apoapsis keeps moving further and further away.

Sounds rather propulsive to me, the moon could also do this to your apoapsis and periapsis, but should also increase altitude over time, until you reach a tipping point and the motion reverses.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
If the altitude is not changing is your orbit circular, Eccentricity=0? In which case your Peri., Apo will be constantly changing i.e. you can burn whenever you want.
Otherwise I have had with Orbiter2016 several times an increasing Apo. without thrust, appears to be a gravity problem; Orbit MFD shows G:#, had to exit and reload, problem gone. I think I was using D3d9 but I haven't been able to isolate the problem yet.